“I've stayed in worse...”

Best Western Burns Hotel Kensington
Ranked #555 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Basel, Switzerland
“I've stayed in worse...”
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Call me crazy, but I love the Earl's Court neighborhood, so I'm always trying to find a hotel I can return to on my next trip. Unfortunately, I don't think this is it. The staff was friendly and helpful (although the woman who helped me find the theatre I was headed to had never heard of the Strand, a major thoroughfare), but the place is a bit tired. The carpet is worn, the windows are wonky, and the whole place needs a coat of paint. I don't mind a little age, but it all just seemed a bit forlorn. We had beautiful weather, but because I couldn't open the window all the way to get some proper air, the room got quite uncomfortable at night. (The window was actually chained together.) Oh, well. I'll keep trying.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelandTeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Maybe it was the false fire alarm at 4am. Maybe it was the heat in the room that couldn't be adjusted. Maybe it was the lack of connectivity. Maybe it was the attitude of the staff. Definitely, it was a combination of all of these. We will be traveling to London fairly frequently, and with the good location and price of this hotel, we had hoped it would become our base during those trips. Nope. We will continue to look elsewhere.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank infowebb
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed three nights at the Burns Hotel. It is in a great location - about a half block from the Earls Court Road where there are numerous restaurants, groceries, pharmacies, etc. Very nice neighborhood! We loved just walking around. You feel safe at all times walking from the main street to the hotel. Lots of foot traffic. We did not eat in the hotel, but dined daily at the pub on the corner which was very reasonable. The menu at the hotel looked good and we spoke to the chef who is from Italy. The staff was great; very helpful with information and booked us a taxi for the trip to the airport. The Underground station is only a block away from the hotel and if you don't have much luggage, can ride the train to Heathrow, very short distance by Underground. We had too much luggage. The WiFi worked great in our room. The hotel is located on a quiet street and our room overlooked the back (no view, but very quiet). The rooms are small, but we were not in them except to sleep. Very clean and comfortable. We recommend them highly. Book them through Tripadvisor to get the best rate.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 104. Probably the quietest room as it has no adjoining walls. Located on the fir...
3 Thank CowtownNancy
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Spent one night had a lovely room with a huge comfortable bed. Everything was very clean and all the staff very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was good served promptly with plenty of choice and the Full English was freshly prepared and nice and hot. Good choice of continental, only problem was they could have done with a bigger toaster as quite a wait to use it. There was no bath and shower room a little on the small side for the size of the room. Good value and would return again.

2 Thank chrisb1233
Reviewed 5 May 2012

The hotel was average with the following positive points, good breakfast, helpful staff, large spacious room and comfortable bed. Negatives, included, no room cleaned whilst there for 2 nights, window was not secure, no bath.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Steviekid
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We were given two nights in a twin-bedded room at this hotel by our airline as a bonus for booking a transatlantic trip. The hotel is a typical amalgamation of townhouses facing a garden square, meaning that the rooms vary in size and accessibility. Ours was small but serviceable, and looked out onto the backs of townhouses on the adjacent street. It was clean. The mattress on my bed was well past its prime. By taking the rubber bath mat and covering it with the cloth bath mat, I was able to minimize the intrusion of the springs of the mattress into my hip.
The staff were helpful, although one of them, after trying for an hour, could not get me onto the free wi-fi. (Although I am not very sophisticated with computers, I eventually discovered on my own that I had to disable a security certificate warning to connect.) We found the full English breakfast quite acceptable. The real plus of this hotel was its proximity to the Earl's Court tube station--just minutes away. With so many other hotels available, I don't imagine that we'll return on our own, but if our airline were to offer this one again, we'd probably take it.

2 Thank eddytor
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Clean and reasonable value - When booking ensure that your room is not located near the lift as the noise is loud and continues all throughout the night.
Breakfast was average - although next time I would be tempted to skip breakfast at the hotel and instead find a nice cafe around Earl's Court tube.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo