“good theatre district hotel”
Review of Astor Court Hotel

Astor Court Hotel
Ranked #585 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 June 2011

stayed here as part of a theatre break package
we saw the Wizard of Oz at the London Palladium and this hotel was just a few minutes walk away

hotel looks nicer from the outside-pretty typical of 3 star London hotels-bit dated and the unattractive fire doors everywhere,however if you dont want to spend a fortune it's good for a short stay

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Astor Court Hotel

Reviewed 16 June 2011

Location good, the hotel room was spacious and comfy once we had changed rooms from the ground floor (the change was not an issue for staff). Forget the shower, we had baths which having lived in London 27 year ago, is quite the norm. Breakfast was adequate but no fruit which I missed but brought my own to add to my cereal. Clean rooms and towels changed every day, heating good. Overall no problems for us during our 4 night stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deno065
Reviewed 3 May 2011

My husband and I were travelling with my elderly parents so decided to book an apartment to provide some of the comforts of home. Well what we received was an apartment in name only. Our main complaint is that while it had a kitchen, that kitchen had no real means of cooking, except for a small microwave. When I asked for a teatowel so we could wash up some dishes I was told: "We don;t have those" There wasn't anywhere to eat our meals except on our laps. The whole place was quite shabby, although beds were comfortable. My husband and I had a room with two single beds that was so small I could reach out and touch his bed when I lay in bed. On the plus-side the location was fantastic, and the continental breakfast a good start to the day. Staff were young and not at all knowledgable, and I think in some cases had a very basic grasp of English. Yes there were still roadworks outside and some work going on to the building itself, but given we were out most of the day it didn;t really matter. Oh and one other thing - the wireless is VERY expensive

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Barbara R
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Really enjoyed our stay, the accommodation was very spacious. The bedding and towels were clean and fresh, the towels were changed each day. The accommodation was really warm with a very responsive thermostatically controlled radiator in each room. There was plenty of hot water. The continental breakfast was excellent. I read the negative reviews and i was a little concerned, i am glad i ignored them. I would reccommend this hotel to anyone, i will use the hotel again

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jamesmurray1
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Perfect location for oxford street and london palladium, close to the tube station. Clean and beds were comfy, rooms were nothing specialm but did what they needd to do.Hotel is in a quiet street, quite lonely to walk back to, so not for lone travellers. Breakfast was nice, typical continental. Most of the staff were friendly.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2011

This hotel was booked for me as I was on a business trip to London combined with seeing friends and a few of the sights. I'm really surprised by the negative comments that I've read since. I arrived a little early for check in but was shown immediately to my room on the ground floor (6). Yes, you can feel the tube vibration a little initially, but I didnt notice this after the first ten minutes or so. The reviewer who called it 'an earthquake' sounds a bit of a drama queen! The majority of London is on top of the tube - thats why its called the 'Underground' !! The room itself was more than adequate - spacious with a really comfortable clean bed. The bathroom was a great size, with decent water pressure but the tiles and bath casing could do with a bit of a spruce up. I slept really well and didnt notice any outside noise. Staff were fine and alerted me that I'd left my purse there after check-out. Location was great - very near to bars, shops etc and a few minutes walk from attractions. I'd have no problem staying there again - its realistically priced. You ain't going to get the Wow factor if you don't pay the wow price.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2011

The hotel is misleading, you pull up and think "wow this looks really nice." It looks VERY classy from the outside and lobby. You check in and the concierge tells you to take the elevator up to your room (with all of your luggage). The elevator is the size of a broom closet, and we had to squeeze 3 of us in with all of our suit cases and hand luggage. Not a huge deal, but not a very pleasant ride up four floors. So you use the card key you received from the check in desk to enter your room - or not, because the key they gave you doesn't work. I went downstairs and told them and they remade another one for us. It worked this time, but I had to have a new one remade EVERYTIME I tried to enter the hotel room. When you finally enter the room your greeted by the smallest room I have ever seen for 3 people, we were basically sleeping on top of each other. The toilet is in a separate room from the shower and sink. So if you go to the washroom, and a member of your party is in the shower/sink room, you cant wash your hands until they finish. The shower has the water pressure of a leaky garden hose and often switches between SCALDING hot water and FREEZING cold water no matter how much you play with the dials. On our last day we had no hot water at all. The TV always had this funny grainy picture, it wasn't a huge deal as we only ever watched it while we were getting ready for bed. Speaking of beds, these have to be the WORST beds in the history of mankind. It felt like they put a wooden door on springs, covered it in a thin fabric, and called it a bed. Overall the hotel was very central, but that does not really make up for the service and the fact you wont sleep the whole time you are there. Also when coming in late at night, the night staff were watching inappropriate TV in the lobby, what they were watching featured blatant male genitalia. Stay away, book somewhere else and never look back.

• Stayed: March 2011