“Beautiful stay”

St Martins Lane London Hotel
Ranked #73 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I booked this hotel as a special weekend away for my partner and I and after much research contacted St Martins. I dealt with someone called Andrew Crookston who made the stay amazing for us.

Throughout the stay, the staff were very helpful and cheerful. In terms of location, you can't go wrong - right in the heart of the city. Once ou are in the room, the noise of the city disappears and the white, clean lines of the room really help you to relax.

The hotel is a beautiful place to stay. To give you an idea of our taste, recently we have stayed at the Lindos Blu, Andels Prague etc and this hotel would certainly rate up there.

Thank you so much to everyone member of staff who worked the Easter weekend - we had a memorable time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathleenb5
Jesper S, Director of Rooms at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Dear Kathleen, we love your beautiful review. It’s great to know that your special weekend was so memorable and thank you for the great comments – particularly for Andrew, our Hotel Manager! We’d love to welcome you back again and please let us know when you have booked your next stay so we can ensure it’s equally memorable.

There are newer reviews for St Martins Lane London Hotel

Reviewed 8 April 2012

My partner and I have stayed here on numerous occasions and we keep coming back. The hotel is not easily located for the busy London life but also a hidden gem.
The rooms are stylish but well equipped. We have eaten at Asia de Cuba the hotels resturant an absolute must! the food amazing and huge portions and the cocktails with it too are a defiante.
Visiting again in June hoping its still as amazing as we remember
Overall a stylish hotel high quality food and furnishings and you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: High floor rooms are worth it
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LittleMiss1014

We’re delighted to know that we have become your ‘home away from home’ and can’t wait to welcome you back in June. Please do let me know your exact dates so we can ensure you have another ‘gem’ of a stay!

Reviewed 6 April 2012

When you stay at St. Martins Lane, you really do have all the best of London right at your feet. The hotel location is excellent, the hotel staff is always welcoming--and always helpful and efficient in seeing to anything you need. Had room service every night and it was always perfectly done. Wake-up calls came on the dot. I used the Gym Box each day I was there as well as the free hotel service which washes your gym clothes and has them back to you in no time. Room was always clean and made up after a long day out--lit candles always lovely to come back to. Just a great hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank kateatlionsgate
Jesper S, Director of Rooms at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Thank you Kate for the great comments, we’re delighted that you enjoy the best service and facilities during your stay. We have a great relationship with GymBox, they offer complimentary access for our residents and we offer complimentary laundry for gym clothing. We look forward to welcoming you back to London and hope you’ll have a chance to enjoy our new menu in Asia De Cuba and a delicious cocktail in the Light Bar. Please let us know when you are back!

Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband & I stayed here recently as we were going out in London, love the reception area, very arty & funky so didn't mind being ignored by the receptionist at the empty check in desk...gave me time to take it all in. A very smiley guy came to check us in and was very helpful asking if we needed help making arrangements etc etc...
Corridors are rather dim lit up from the floor are to highlight the room numbers. Our room was nice & bright with everything we needed plus more...items for sale in the bathroom incase you've forgotten anything..including a cannabis candle! Ipod docking station which was great, & mood lights in different colours. Wifi was chargable at £10 a day which was a bit off but hey. Had time before a quick drink before our show, bar was very busy with lots of reserved signs on tables so we now to prebook next time.....we didn't mind sitting at the bar. Glad we tried this hotel but didn't get excited about it...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CJ7London

We really appreciate your kind comments on the room and Lobby in particular, although that doesn’t excuse any less than attentive welcome on arrival. The Light Bar is a residents’ bar with guest list, and residents have priority access so when the hotel is at high occupancy, we recommend booking a table. We hope you’ll have another chance to stay with us when you’re enjoying all that London has to offer and please let us know whe you are next with us.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

The staff were very friendly and efficient, the rooms were excellent, very smart, clean and comfortable. Bathroom was well equipped and the bed very comfortable. Were only able to stay the one night so unfortunately didn't get the chance to try out the bar and restaurant ... Wished we could have stayed another night or two! Location is perfect for Covent Garden. Love this hotel and would like to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank BJ5

Friendly and Fabulous are two of our very favourite words as we are passionate about creating a unique guest experience for service and character. We also wish you could have enjoyed another night with us, and look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay next time. Please let us know when you are back for another F&F stay!

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Having stayed at numerous top class hotels, I found this to be seriously lacking.

The location couldn't be better for a night in the west end for shows, etc, and the decor is very funky and great fun - however the service was very very mixed, and frankly offensive at points.

On arrival I was made to wait for a good twenty minutes to check in - there were only 2 people ahead of me but the staff were painfully slow.

Having been out in the evening we returned and wanted some drinks in the bar. Initially we were given a ridiculously small table for 4 of us, and offered pathetic little stools to sit on, but then were moved once a better table became available. Admittedly the bar was busy, so this couldn't really be avoided but it was done without an apology and we all knew the celebrities sat in the corner wouldn't have been treated the same way!

Having called ahead twice to inform the hotel that I am gluten intolerant and so they would need to let their kitchen know for breakfast, I was frankly amazed at what happened atbreakfast. Having explained on arrival to the waiter that I was gluten intolerant I asked for some gluten free toast, and was then sent back by the chef apparently to ask if I can eat butter. Gluten intolerancy might not be common, but I would expect a chef in a five star hotel to know it is in wheat and not in dairy products. Having explained to the waiter what gluten is and that eating it can make me ill, I was then informed that there was no alternative to be provided to the normal breakfast menu (all of which was gluten-containing). Upon asking to speak to a more senior member of staff I received an apology and some gluten free french toast eventually, but was left feeling slightly concerned as to whether it was indeed gluten free or not!

It wasn't only myself that had problems at breakfast - my Dad's eggs benedict had to be sent back as it was cold, and his girlfriend gave up trying to request cheese in her omelette after the waiter misheard it as toast for a third time...

After breakfast my family left and I remained in the room a little longer. After approximately an hour, as I was getting out of the shower, housekeeping let themselves into the room without so much as a knock. Having heard my shriek they left again, but I then received a rather abrupt phonecall from reception demanding that I identify myself - they had apparently thought the room had been vacated (despite the fact that i still had both room keys in the room) and were basically accusing me of some form of squatting.

When I left the hotel I did receive an apology for the interruptions to my morning and the accusatory phone call, and I was assured that the kitchen staff would be spoken to regarding their knowledge of common food allergies/intolerances, but I was still left feeling that the hotel takes its 5 star status for granted now, and has rather stopped putting in much effort unless you are currently in Heat magazine.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank littlerach23

It is always disappointing if we fail to meet our guests’ expectations and please accept our sincere apologies again that we let you down on this occasion. We understand that our guests have different dietary and allergy considerations, and we will be reviewing the gluten free options available to ensure a wider choice. On departure, we believed that everyone had departed as the account was settled, however it is not acceptable for any member of staff to ignore the correct procedures for entering a guest room and this has been addressed with the housekeeping team. We did contact you on departure to sincerely apologise for the service failures you encountered and we hope you will consider returning to the hotel, at that time please contact me direct so that I may personally oversee your stay.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

I joined my wife in London, September 2010, on the tail end of her business trip and she was already booked at St Martin's Lane through her company.

The location itself was wonderful, very close to everything including the Square, Theatres, Shops, excellent restaurants; just had a very good feeling about the area when I was there. I had no idea that the building itself was a hotel when I first approached it, although I had a heads up about its location. I was pretty wowed when I entered. The hotels front desk staff were very courteous and professional. The decor is really amazing, the elevator ride is quite the trip (in a stylish good way). The room was very clean, the bed was absolutley comfortable and I really liked the bathroom arrangement.

I extremely was happy with my stay at St Martin's Lane. Thank you to all the staff, you do your jobs very well!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darksider

Thank you so much for the first class comments following your first stay with us! We really appreciate the great feedback on service in particular, it’s lovely to know that every member of staff you encountered displayed our core values so fully to create a memorable experience for you. We look forward to welcoming you back for a second stay and more first class enjoyment, let us know when you are next in London.