“Really Disappointing”

GreenLeadersGold level
Warrington, Cheshire
“Really Disappointing”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here for a one night stay, we chose it because of the central location which to be fair makes this a great place to stay. To be honest the hotel was lovely in all the public areas but, I felt that the rooms were nothing special. The toiletries in the rooms were quite cheap to be honest. However, at £90pppn I expected a lot more. The secondary double glazing in our room had been removed and as the room was on the front of the Hotel we suffered loads of noise all night. When we complained all that we were offered was a free upgrade when we next visit and I don't think that is good enough.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that front onto The Strand
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank DINKEtravellers
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I apologise that the lack of secondary glazing in your room ruined your stay at the Strand Palace Hotel, and whilst I am pleased that our offer of an upgrade on your next stay was made, I do appreciate that this may seem insignificant. I would be interested to ascertain however, if you brought this matter to attention on arrival or when you were departing, as I would like to think that had we been made aware of the problem on check in, we would have moved you to a different room. Once again please accept my apologies, and I assure you that should you return to the hotel we will ensure you have a more comfortable and acceptable stay.

Regards,
David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,518)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belfast
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The Strand palace is a favourite of mine when going to London.
Location is excellent and less than 10 min walk to Piccadilly.
Recently refuirbished the rooms are average but good.
Breakfast is excellent.
Can be expensive but web has deals.

Room Tip: club rooms not worth the extra money
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank tMCL
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Me and a friend stayed here about 2 weeks ago as we fancied a good night out. We needed somwehere where we could walk to and from all the major bars/clubs etc. This hotel is fantasically located on the strand directly opposite the Savoy Hotel. Covent Garden is literally a 5minute walk.

We were upgraded to a Superior room as soon as we arrived. This room was huge!! The only 'downside' is that we had 1 tiny window which you could not open which made it feel a little 'cabin' like. Other than that £164.00 between two for such a clean and well located hotel in London - it is fab!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emma A
Cuenca, Ecuador
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Great location, nearby Covent Gardens and the theater zone.

Rooms are super tiny. Food in the bar was good as well as the friendly staff

• Stayed April 2012
Woodbury, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 April 2012 via mobile

Two nights at this hotel this weekend. The room was comfortable although the single glazed windows did not shut or latch in my room, which meant that Saturday night was loud. In the winter, I imagine that the room could be cold. Breakfast was typical English, nothing fancy but good enough.
Close to Covent Garden, there are a large number of shops and restaurants close by which makes it convenient for dinner, however, with the Underground being such an amazing subway system, you can get anywhere quickly. Buy a day pass from the concierge service, which was wonderful and also arranged a car service to Heathrow in the morning for me.
The price seemed relatively high, but London is an expensive town and the prime theatre distric location was very convenient.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Dave G
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times while on business in London and each time it seems to get a little worse! When I first started staying here I liked it very much but I am afraid this visit will be my last. As I travel on business, my company pickes up the bill but as with many hotels, they still wanted a swipe of my credit card on check in "for security". I have been bitten like this before with other hotels so I politely refused, stating that my whole bill was going back to the company so there was no need for another card - I was rudely informed by the receptionist that they still needed it incase I did some damage to my room! I am a middle aged woman on business, not a member of a rock band! To prevent any further argument, I agreed to the swipe of my card. I was then given the smallest, hottest room in the hotel. It had a double bed but one side of the bed was against the wall as the room was so small, so it really was a single room. On check out, I was advised that there was a problem with the printer or the computer and so my bill could not be processed at that time. I asked the receptionist what card he would be charging the bill to and he looked confused. I asked him to give me the last four numbers of the card that the bill was going to be charged against and he gave me my own card number. This was exactly what I was afraid of as this has happened before. I asked to see a manager but the receptionist was reluctant to call one and kept saying that it was not necessary. Eventually I left the hotel and our travel agent through whom the booking was made had to telephone them to ensure that the bill was charged to the correct card. I was told by the agent that the hotel had also said sorry for implying that I would damage my room. The customer service at reception left a lot to be desired and is one of the things that has gone down hill recently.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking internal light wells are quieter but the view on the outside front rooms is better...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank AKA_Wiccan
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Not recommended for those on business but for those on a budget in London this hotel is ideal. It's centrally located near Covent Garden with easy access by bus and undergrand to both the City and the West end.

Room Tip: I think most rooms in this hotel are small.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo