New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersGold level
Hertfordshire
“Unbelievable Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on business, the hotel and staff were always very punctual. Room was comfortable and had all the amenities required. Carvery restaurant was very good and excellent value for money. The location was fantastic, slap bang on the strand but minutes walk to Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Aldwych. My preference is always the Guoman when I stay in this part of town! however, take nothing away from the facilities and warmth of this hotel.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,394)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

We always stay here when we come up to London to visit the theatre / museums / exhibitions a couple of times a year. It's so convenient and within walking distance / or a couple of tube stops of all the sights. Breakfast was good. Downside are the small rooms - but they are very warm. I turn the radiator off when i arrive, then the room is the right temp for sleeping!. For £2 per suitcase, they can be safely left with the concierge whilst you do more sightseeing.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

We just spent a week here. Had a last-minute change in our plans and Asst, Mgr. AJ was very accommodating for our needs. The rooms have been recently remodeled and our double was nice size for London. The hotel restaurant is just okay, but there are plenty of places to eat in this area. We got a great deal on the room because the exterior of this entire building is being reworked. It did not cause any noise or bother on the inside at all though. This hotel is only a few blocks from Charing Cross Station and Trafalgar Square. There are numerous theaters, pubs, and eateries nearby.
The hotel's breakfast is okay if you are on a tight time schedule, but there are lots of places in all directions that you can get a good breakfast for quite a lot less money.

Room Tip: We were able to upgrade to a small double that was quite a bit larger than the executive single for...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ron308
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

This is my hotel of choice whenever I visit London. My recent stays at the hotel where both excellent. The single room without a view was small but comfortable and clean. The buffet breakfast was one of the best I've experienced at a hotel. I'm a vegetarian, and there were many choices for me. The location cannot be beat.

The service at the Strand Palace goes beyond what one would expect at a hotel. A screw, in my carry on bag's handle, had fallen out while traveling to London. I asked at the concierge's desk where I could get the bag fixed. I was told that someone at the hotel would fix the bag. I brought it to the desk the next morning, and it was fixed in about an hour.

I had written a comment, about something that happened at the Strand Carvery. I was immediately contacted by Adnan, the duty manager, to discuss my comment. He listened to me and assured me that my comment would be addressed. When he heard that I was a repeat guest and that I would be returning in a few weeks, he offered to upgrade my room for my next stay. I was happily upgraded to a king executive room which was spacious, clean, and extremely comfortable. With the upgrade came access to the executive breakfast dining room which had an even larger selection than the regular breakfast dining room.

The people, who work at the Strand Palace, are friendly, attentive, and concerned about the comfort of their guests. I will happily stay there the next time I visit London. Thank you to everyone at the hotel who where so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Lyricaldove
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and very kind words about various members of my team. We always try help and satisfy guests to the best of our ability, and it is indeed pleasing to be able to respond to such a positive comment - we look forward to welcoming you back!

David MacRae
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

Stayed here on a brief trip to london. The rooms are quite small, I stayed in a basic single room, but they are well equipped, and such a great price, especially when you consider the amazing location in Covent garden!
There was plenty of room to lay down and unpack my suitcase, and the single bed was comfy. The staff we always friendly and helpful, and the breakfast buffet, although basic was tasty.

Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank poptartlr
Sheffield, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012 via mobile

Booked this for a business trip because it was near the location I needed. Quite expensive considering the tiny room.
The room itself couldn't have been more than 12 foot by 6 foot, with an inward facing window.
Shower, no bath - disappointing.
The hotel was having an exterior facelift so was covered in scaffolding.
Disappointing.
The staff were great however, courteous and polite.
Free wifi with the room

Stayed May 2012
1 Thank g4Sandman
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and we are disappointed you did not enjoy your stay. Half of our bathrooms have been fitted with new showers, whilst the other half still have baths. Had we been made aware of your requirement for a bath we would happily have moved you to another room. Should we be able to offer you accommodation in the future please let us know of this requirement when you make your booking.

David
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Stayed one night on business trip. Hard to believe the room was a double, the bed was squashed up against the wall so one person had to climb over the other to get out. No bedside table on that side.
Extremely busy at breakfast but staff efficient and very helpful.
Great location for theatre, art galleries, sightseeing and shopping.
BUT: Never before have I had to pay for my luggage to be stored after checkout. I complained at the reception and the receptionist was very courteous and as a gesture of goodwill returned my money. However, I hope the management will note that the principle is wrong.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mbwam
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments - with regards to the charges for luggage storage, I can advise that we are currently reviewing our policy on this matter and will be making changes over the next few months. We currently need to charge due to the extremely high volume of luggage guests want to leave with us, and storage facilities are regrettably very limited.

David