“Bad Hotel!!”

A TripAdvisor Member
“Bad Hotel!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2005

DONT STAY HERE!

Upon checking in to our very outdated rooms with very worn beds...I was distraught to find I'd lost a credit card. I asked the front desk if they'd help me call the card co. and they were extremely unhelpful.

You can do much better than this.

Trust me, I asked very politely and was told that the phone can't be used for guests 'personel problems'.

Whatever...I'll happily spend my money anywhere else.

• Stayed November 2005, travelled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2005

Difficult to say much exciting about this place - it's clean and well-run with friendly staff, single rooms are small and some only have showers not baths, but the 6th floor ones have (rather sparse) balconies - 604's is immense!

TV is limited to terrestrial/freeview channels and a few PPV movies, and there's no proper restaurant, just a bar and cafe - although this is no real hardship as Baker Street is only a few yards away.

The hotel is pretty much next door to Marylebone station so no problems with tube or taxis. A perfectly adequate place for a short stay in London.

Seems to accept bookings at about £35/night from priceline, at that price I'd say it's good value, but I wouldn't pay the rack rates for it!

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank Pete_Fenelon
Milwaukee, WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2005

An okay hotel - with pros and cons.

Cons, first: Upon checkin, we were given rooms on the first floor, and while the temperature outside was only in the 60's, the room was unbearibly hot and had no air conditioning. We opened the windows, but the street noise was terrible. They were very nice about it, and moved us up to the 4th floor. The temperature was a little better, but we still had to keep the windows open all night, and as a result, some nights, the street noise and partiers kept us awake. I can't imaging staying here in July-August when it gets truly hot outside. Also, the second room had a bed with a broken box spring. Again, we were moved, and all was well after that. Rooms were small, but not overly so.

Pros: Great location for the Tube and Marylebone train station - we took the train from there to Warwick. Great staff - Anthony, the bellman was particularly helpful and nice. We had continental breakfast included with our room, and that was very good, as well, with fresh fruit, cereal, breads, sweets, ham, cheese, etc. Easy to fill up enough to last to dinner.

I would stay here again if the price was right, just not in the summer months.

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank ILoveLondon
NJ, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2005

My husband and I stayed there for a week in March. Our first room (130, I think) was the pits-- very hot (even in winter), toilet didn't work, TV broken, window didn't open/close properly so we could hear the drunken partygoes below for hours, and *their* hairdryer sparked when I tried to use it, burning my clothes and me. It would've been almost funny if I weren't so jetlagged. When the guy came to check the toilet, he had an attitude and tried to tell me it was fine-- then proceeded to ram the handle for about 20 minutes until it was worse than before. We had to stay in that room the first night (had to use the bar's toilet), and when we went down in the morning to switch rooms, the people in front of us in line at the desk had been robbed from the 6th floor. Not off to a good start.

BUT, we were changed to a much better room for the rest of our vacation. Very comfortable, bigger, everything worked, quieter, and clean. We carried our valuables around with us all week instead of leaving them in the room, but that was probably not necessary. Staff were very personable, breakfast was great (good for vegetarians), and the location can't be beat. Overall, I'd go back, but to avoid the noise would request a room not on the 1st floor and not right over the train station entrance.

Stayed March 2005
3 Thank UsaLovelyRita
mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2005

Got a good deal through Brian Moore. Nice, clean rooms, Small, but manageable. Excellent location, very good continental breakfast included in price of room. Staff courteous and helpful.
Advice: Ask for a room off the street. Pub closes at 2, and the partying starts on the sidewalk for an hour or so.

• Stayed March 2005
5 Thank rainbowtravel
Edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2005

My first room was a little grotty - even as a smoker I was appaulled at how the room was stinking. Very sparse and very compact. When going to bed noticed the quilt was wet so I called housekeeping who promptly moved me to a better decorated but just as sparse room. This one had a over flow pipe running from the toilet to the shower cubicle which flowed! when the cistern was full. Luckly I have a pond at home so I managed the first night, but by the sceond it was driving me mad so.

This hotel is close to the tube station which is why I took it, nearly £3 for a small bottle of becks I did not hang out in the bar.
Breakfast was good and service was excellent in the dinning room. So a bit of a mixed bag. I am returning puely because the price was good and the location meets my needs.

4 Thank DD001

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2005

I stayed here for 5 nights in Feb. 2005. The hotel is centrally located -- just across the street from the underground on the Bakerloo line which is very convenient to the theatre district. The staff was friendly, helpful and attentive. The rooms were small, but typical of London hotels. The bathroom had lots of hot water, and plenty of clean fluffy linens.
The neighborhood was safe to walk around in late at night. After midnight, the desk clerk locked the front door, but I rang the doorbell and they were right there. The TV carried the 5 major London stations -- so there was usually something to watch all the time, without resorting to pay tv.
I found the hotel extremely clean and safe.
I stayed here as part of American Airlines vacation package and was very pleased. Would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2005