“Could do better” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #631 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Sussex, UK
“Could do better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

First to note I am a Hilton Silver Honors member and my two-night stay was paid for by a conference organiser so I don't know what the bill was. It was not a great stay. When I arrived quite late in the evening there was one receptionist struggling with a difficult visitor, and ignoring the queue that was building up. The room was OK but there was a lack of drawer space, and getting the air-conditioning to work was quite a challenge. There was no view, other than of a wall and a drainpipe and even on the top floor it was a challenge to see the sky. As with so many hotels the cost of wifi is just extortionate, so I decided to use the free wifi in the lobby. It turns out that it only works well on the west side of the lobby but most of the seats were on the east side of the lobby. You would have thought that the hotel could have invested in a repeater unit.

Breakfast was pretty good but the staff manning the hot dishes seemed never to be there when one or more of the hot dishes runs out. Perhaps a webcam? Staff seem not to be able to agree which table they are looking after and one morning I was asked by three different members of staff if I wanted tea or coffee. It took around 5 minutes to arrive. I did not eat lunch or an evening meal in the hotel.

Overall I just felt that there was no real pride in the hotel, and that both the restaurant and the front desk staff needed to have more training. I felt that in both cases they were making it up as they went along, and there was just not a genuine interest in building a relationship with me as a customer. My guess is that most of the people staying at the hotel do so for a couple of days in connection with an event at Olympia so the staff feel there is no need to try to ensure that people come back on other occasions or recommend it to others. Overall it's OK but I've stayed in much better Hiltons.

1 Thank Scott408
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your detailed review following your stay with us. All comments about our hotel, both good & not so good are invaluable to us. Without feedback we are weaker in our quest to provide consistent excellent hospitality, care & service.
I am sorry you felt your experience was not as good as you hoped. The team here are aware of your comments and we will do our best in beating your expectations in the future. I hope we have that pleasure.
I noted your comment in regard to the provision of free internet, and wanted to inform you that we provide complimentary internet access with increased bandwidth in the bedrooms to our Hilton HHonors loyalty programme Gold and Diamond members, and also those guests who purchase an upgraded room type. There is complimentary internet access available to all our guests in the hotel's public areas, bar and restaurant, with good coverage. Unfortunately, within many hotels and establishments, internet access is still a chargeable service as the cost of providing a decent service with high bandwidth is still prohibitive. We have also checked our local competition and we are competitive in the rates we charge for the increased bandwidth internet access when compared to similar establishments.
With memories of this recent visit still in mind, it may be difficult for you to think of a possible return to the Hilton London Olympia. However, I would be delighted to be able to welcome anyone from your organisation back in the future and to have the opportunity to show you our hotel and the service that we provide in a different light.
Once again, thank you for your input and happy travelling!
Richard, Director of Operations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Heusden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

I stayed one night at the Hilton Olympia, room 541. The room itself was rather small, but otherwise OK. The view out of the window was at some kind of very small inner court, looking out on a wall.
There was a constant noise during the entire night, coming from the technical installations at the inner court, so I didn't have any quiet rest. Moreover, in the small hallway there was water dropping from the ceiling. Restaurant and breakfast were OK. I would not recommend the hotel.

1 Thank americanfriends
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.com following your recent stay with us.
I was disheartened to learn of your experience in our hotel. A few of our 405 bedrooms do indeed overlook a small inner courtyard area which has some ventilation equipment. I am sorry this did not allow you the quiet you expected or need and will address this with our maintenance team to see if there is anything we can do to rectify this issue.
However I note, with this exception your stay proved both satisfactory.
Once again thank you for your constructive review and we look forward to your return to the Hilton London Olympia.
Happy travelling. Richard, Director of Operations.
San Francisco, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

The hotel was overpriced, run down and poorly located..I got better advice on a choice of nearby restaurants from another guest than I could get from the hotel staff. "healthcare" facility was a tiny room in the basement.. wouldn't stay there again.

5 Thank Paul D
Dear reviewer,
I was both disheartened and perplexed to learn of the response you received in regard to local eateries from the team here, and also in regard to your comment about a "healthcare" facility. By this I assume you are referring to the Fitness by Precor gym containing brand new cardio-vascular and resistance machines as well as the fit and medicine balls.
In regard to the price, I am sorry you considered us to be overpriced. Please be assured that we check our rates daily against the local competition and are considered reasonsable when compared to similar establishments across West London.
Once again thank you for your constructive review and happy travelling.
Richard, Director of Operations.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

While in London i had a fall and tore my quadriceps tendon. after an operation and before being allowed to fly home,my wife and I stayed at the Hilton olympia at Kensington. The staff could not have been more thoughtful or considerate. They helped with email access, faxing travel insurance reports and supplying a wheelchair. Well donewonderful staff and management.,

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.com following your recent visit to the Hilton London Olympia.
I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, and in particular to hear that we looked after you so well following your unfortunate fall whilst out and about in London. Please be assured that I have passed your very kind comments to all staff concerned.
With thanks once again and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton London Olympia in the future.
Happy travelling! Richard, Director of Operations
Somerset, Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed for one night and overall we were pretty happy with the place. The room was a good size (Room 528) with a comfortable bed and all necessary facilities (hair dryer, ironing board, good selection of hot drinks, etc). The view out of the window wasn't up to much and the air conditioning wasn't working but we were happy to keep the windows open overnight being used to noise, if you wanted a quiet night though this would have been a problem. The decoration is looking a little tired (a couple of cracked and stained tiles in the bathroom, paint peeling in places and the bath looked a little stained) but it was all very clean so it wasn't too much to put up with.

I only paid £79.00 (via Hotels.com) for the room which I felt was good value for a Saturday night in Londn but I guess if I had paid the 'rack rate' of £107.00 plus then I may have expected a little more.

I had done my research and I knew that the District Olympia line was very near the hotel and only open at weekends, my visit was a Saturday so this was fine for me and I found it all very convenient. However, it really is only a ten minute walk from either High Street Kensington or West Kensington (we walked the latter ourselves) so not exactly a great hardship to get around London from there.

If you are looking for luxury then this probably isn't the place for you but overall I felt it was a good hotel, with helpful staff, in a decent/convenient area.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MsCP13
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your detailed review following your stay at the Hilton London Olympia. All comments about our hotel, good & not so good are invaluable to us. Without feedback we are weaker in our quest to provide consistent excellent hospitality, care & service.
I am sorry you felt your experience was not as good as you hoped. I will address the issues you highlighted from your room with the team here in the hotel, however I am happy to hear that your overall stay was positive, especially you comments about the team members and the location.
Once again, thank you for your input and happy travelling.
dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Stayed in hotel 18th may weekend. The room was totally overpriced. It was dark and dreary
and quite small. Room no 544. There were no handles on window so window was open all the
time with a constant noixe of an air conditioning unit filling room. i complained at reception but got reply to my complaint.
The location of hotel is fine but the rooms need a total revamping.
sean b

2 Thank sbbdublin
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear reviewer,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Hilton London Olympia and for completing your review on Tripadvisor.com regarding this stay. Your valuable time in this regard is very much appreciated.
It is naturally concerning and disappointing when a customer is given cause for complaint and please accept my most sincere apologies that your stay was not indicative of the level of service you have come to expect and more importantly deserve when choosing the Hilton family for your travels.
I appreciate your time in feeding back to us, and happy travelling!
Toowoomba
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Shared a triple - this was two singles and a roll-out in a small room. The bed was OK for a child but not an adult. Had to ask for additional cups, glasses, pillows, milk - staff not exactly proactive in this regard. The breakfast included in our tariff was excellent. Location is good with buses the closest public transport. The nearest tube - High St Kensington - is a good 15 mins walk. There is free wifi in the public areas.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Groundling
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your review.
I was disappointed to hear that we seemed to have dropped the ball in regard to the service your received in missing towels, cups, toiletries, etc.. for the third person in your room. I only wish you had mentioned something during your stay as I know my team would have rectified anything immediately. Please be assured that I have already spoken with the Housekeeping and Reception Managers to ensure this does not happen again.
In regard to the sofabed provided in your room as an extra bed, you are correct in that this type of bed is more suitable for a child. We inform all travel agents that we do not have triple rooms as a standard here at the Hilton London Olympia, and unfortunately providing a sofa bed is the only solution we have is an additional room has not been purchased.
I was however very happy to hear that you found our breakfast buffet and location to your satisfaction. Happy travelling!