“Check it out before you check in....”

Best Western The Cromwell
Ranked #629 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 April 2012

None of the rooms have safety bars in the showers (no tubs). Some of the rooms are accessible at the top of a stairway with the door right at the top leaving the client reaching up to push open the door while holding luggage. Very limited bellhop service; slow small elevator. Climate controls did not seem to alter conditions in the rooms. Only breakfast is served in the "dining room", it is quite adequate in spite of filler tasting sausages. Chef Eric prepares excellent fried eggs on request, they are a better choice than the buffet table scrambled. The dining room staff are friendly and attentive; the desk staff vary in manners. Many of the staff have limited English ability, knowing another language helps. The building entrance has steep steps without a bannister, and they are slippery when wet. Clearly not a recommended hotel for older guests.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Nichola R, General Manager at Best Western The Cromwell, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We always strive to exceed customer expectations and I am sorry that we let you down on this occasion.

Due to the layout of the hotel, our rooms do vary in size and location. There are a small number of bedrooms that are located "in between floors", however a Hotel Porter is on duty 24 hours to assist with luggage and to provide any assistance needed. Access to the hotel is via a few steep steps. This is an area we are looking into and hopefully we will be able to improve the access to the hotel.

I am glad Eric and the breakfast team looked after you in the early mornings. Having a good breakfast always helps the day start on a good note!

Once again I would like to thank you for your comments. I do hope you will consider staying with us again.

Nicki

Write a ReviewReviews (1,336)

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Recently spent 10 days at this hotel and only continued staying there because the booking was prepaid through a 3rd party - it would have been a real hassle changing accommodation. The room was the smallest I have ever stayed in during my global travels - the bathroom was poor and the toilet cracked. The shower (over the bath) did not reach garden hose strength and the bath was not adequate for a 6 footbtall man. The sheets had evidence of historic stains and remained unchanged for a number of days and did I mention how small the room was!!!!! This was a single room masquerading as a double because it had a double bed - there was no room for the luggage, so we were required to pack up our clothes every day. And we could only access three TV channels which were all news channels, and noone gave me a satisfactory explanation why i could not access the 12 channels indicated in the Room booklet. Housekeeping was generally poor and primarily consisted of making the bed. On the positive side the staff were generally ok with good service from Martina at breakfast, which was also generally good. Proximity to Gloucester Road Tube Station was a redeeming feature.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank RonandLana
Nichola R, General Manager at Best Western The Cromwell, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. I am especially concerned that you found the housekeeping standard poor. We take extra care in ensuring the cleanliness of our rooms and public areas. For long stay guests, bed linen is changed every third day unless requested more frequently. All bedrooms are fully cleaned daily unless a Do Not Disturb Sign is placed on the door.

Unfortunately due to the digital change over, we did experience problems with our televisions. This matter has now been resolved.

I would like to apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay with us. I do hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

We spent 6 nights there in March and enjoyed our stay. The staff was SUPER FRIENDLY and very accomodating. The hotel was in a terrific location, seconds from the Tube, a grocery store, Starbucks and plenty of breakfast options right on the street. One thing i wouldnt do-stay on the bottom floor-its noisy and smells like toast due tothe breakfast room being on the same level. If you are looking for value, service and location while you travel to London-this is your place!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

What can we say! The team and I are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for your comments with regards to the Breakfast Room. The Breakfast Room is scheduled for refurbished later on this year, and all comments both positive and negative can be taken into account when making the final decisions.

We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed at the hotel over the Easter Weekend and were delighted with the friendly and efficient service provided by every member of their staff. The rooms are small but the decoration and cleanliness were excellent. The breakfast provided was better than we have received in the majority of other hotels in London.The staff at the hotel really seem to care about their customers and should be congratulated by the management - it really makes a difference and we would certainly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your glowing report of the Hotel. It is very motivational for the team and I to see such positive comments.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Nicki Ristow

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Upon checking I was informed I would have a larger room since we were staying 7 nights. The room was the smallest room I have stayed during 43 years of travel. The room was L shaped with the bed being on the bottom of the L, with 14 inches on either side of the bed. Entry to the bed was made by crawling in the foot of the bed. The bed was comfortable but getting in and out was unusual. Flat screen tv with free wifi was good. Tesco mini store less than one block away and a Sainsburys full service grocery store about two blocks away. Gloucester tube less than one block with the Piccadilly line that has direct connections to Heathrow airport. The bathroom was very modern. Glass shower but no bathtub. Stool and sink very modern. Room 311, faces Cromwell street. Windows open about 6 inches. Air conditioning was needed a couple of days and was acceptable.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Bailey's Millenium last year which was one block from the BW Cromwell. The room...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
AndreLondon_England, Deputy General Manager at Best Western The Cromwell, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and positive feedback about the bathroom! The room you stayed in is one of our bigger rooms in the hotel and also newly decorated. As room sizes do vary in Central London we apologize for not exceeding your expectations regarding this.
Yes the location of our hotel is always a BIG plus to all our guests!
Trust that you had a good Easter!

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Great Hotel, stayed 5 nights for business trip. Close to underground. Nice cosy single room, could have been bigger. Excellent service and nice breakfast. Very warm but does have air conditioning.

Would stay again. Although was a bit annoyed to be asked for a deposit in CASH! even though they room had been paid for. Only down point.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Hi Lynsey
Nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! I will pass your comments about the service and breakfast on to the staff! We do appreciate the nice comments!
The deposit is a general thin in most hotel around the world for any extras (even though the accommodations is paid for by your company or travel agent).
We do encourage travel agents to mention this to all guests in their confirmation so that guests are prepared. Although most do this there might be still one or two not doing this and we will make sure to get in touch with them! Thanks for mentioning this to us!

Reviewed 5 April 2012

On arrival, The Cromwell was tidy, clean and the staff were helpful. There were four of us so we booked two rooms. My room was bright and clean but I have never been in a smaller hotel room in all my life! the bathroom was clean but miniscule - I banged my elbow, burnt my knee on the towel rack all whilst doing my business. There was no shampoo or conditioner either. The bed was comfy but again small - its lucky that my partner and I are not too big.

My twin sister on the other hand had a very different room. We both paid the same price and booked at the same time, however, her room was massive! the bed was huge, the room was spacious, loads of space, the bathroom was big, with fantastic decor, a shower and a bath and shampoo, conditioner etc provided.

I'm just confused how a booking of two rooms, at the same price, made at the same time culd be so different? Don't get me wrong, the hotel is in a great location and the staff were helpful and the room was clean, but the difference in rooms has slightly soured the experience for me.

Room Tip: Ask when booking about the size of the room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Lucy
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel!
We take all comments both positive and negative and use them to improve our service of which we are very proud of!
The difference in rooms are all down to the layout of the building. We also added on 28 extra bedrooms not too long ago and that may be the difference between your room and your sisters. We are in the process of upgrading all rooms in the hotel though. In your room you had the combined shower and hair gel where in your sisters room we have not installed the new shower fittings and that is why they had the small individual shower and shampoo.
I trust that on your next visit all will be done and you will experience the new fittings.