“Good stay, especially compared to other London hotels”

London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square
Ranked #369 of 1,089 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Good stay, especially compared to other London hotels”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

My stay was for business over 4 nights during March 2012. I was really quite pleased with the hotel, both the room and the service exceeded my expectations. This being only my second time in London and having had a very mediocre experience at the Mayfair for something like 1.75x the price (and after having a number of people flippantly comment that London hotels don't get much better), I had already lowered my expectations for this stay. I was very pleasantly surprised when I was greeted by a friendly and efficient staff. The standard room I got did not seem old or dingy in any way, and I had no problem with controlling the temperature (which had been a problem at the Mayfair). I dined at both the Maze and the Maze Grill that week and while I thought the food at both places was good, neither blew me away. Maze Grill did have a great steak though, if that's what you're looking for.

One incident of note was the effort the staff put in to rectify a mistake they had made during my stay. A maid had thrown away the clear plastic Ziploc bag I had used for my toiletries to comply with flight regulations and when I told the front desk about it, they found a way to get me a new one despite not having any on the premise. I believe they may have gone to the local drug store and actually purchased a new one for me, which was above and beyond. So, thank you to the staff at the Marriott and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Indonesian first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

This was a great pick for our recent whirlwind, one-day visit to London. Only a few steps from the Bond Street Underground (one stop and transfer from Piccadilly line to/from LHR) we found the location perfect for our situation. Our room was not available when we arrived bright and early at 8am but the front desk was very helpful in all respects. They called about two hours later to let us know our room was available. We cut short our bus tour to return to the hotel for a much needed shower. I was especially pleased to find an umbrella in the closet for our soggy afternoon! We arrived too late and left too early to experience breakfast there, but were pointed our morning of arrival to a lovely breakfast / tea place (Allans) across the street by the bellman. The room itself was quite nice -- relatively good-sized for Europe, modern and recently renovated. Overall, we would definitely look at this property again for our next (hopefully longer and drier) visit to London!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

It is a lovely hotel located a few minutes walk from oxford street. They welcomed us into the hotel and upgraded us to superior for free. The room was lovely with a decorative fire place, and interesting bathroom ( a door opened up the bathroom to the bedroom for easy access to watching tv from the tub). The bed linen and pillows were so comfortable that we asked if it was possible to purchase them. The only downside was the shower leaked slightly so the bathroom floor was wet. The room was £250 roughly per night which is not too bad for the quality of service and location.

I was also there for a wedding function, the reception and dining room were both gorgeous. I would recommend this hotel. I cannot comment on the restaurant as unfortunately I did not get the time to eat there

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Marriott never let you down.. From doorman to room service the staff are friendly, professional & welcoming. The location of this hotel is second to none.. For those of you that enjoy shopping it is literally 2 mins walk from Oxford st. Those of you travelling for business it is right in the heart of London city close to all transport links. We went with our twoand half year old for a weekend break. We all thoroughly enjoyed our city break despite torrential downpours of rain!! The location meant a change of clothes was always at hand & also minimised our exposure to the elements!!! We had breakfast at hotel on one occasion & although delicious v v v pricey. Our room was a twin room with lovely views of grosvenor square. All mod cons & luxuries.. High ceilings meant although room was small didn't feel boxed in. Only disappointment was gym a lil bit sparse but will be going back next time I am in London.

• Stayed April 2012
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

This is an ideal hotel for visiting central London. All the staff were first class and very friendly. As my partner is a gold member we were upgraded to a corner suite. What a fantastic room (Rm614). We could have held a large party in the sitting area. The four poster bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. The club lounge was ideal for drinks and snacks. We had breakfast there on our second morning, good choice of food. We also had breakfast in the Maze Grill on our first morning. The lady when told our room number promptly told us we had complementary breakfast in the club lounge and would have to pay for it in the grill room. We already knew that and said it was ok. She then thanked us for coming. A little courtesy goes a long way. The breakfast was very good but may be expensive for some people. This hotel is ideal for shopping whether it is Oxford street or bond street. Access to the tube is only 5 mins away. I would recommend coming to this hotel at the weekend as I think it is frequented by business people. You may even get an upgrade as well. I will definitely come back here again. This is a far better hotel than the Marriott Hotel at St Pancras. It is expensive but for a special occasion or treat it is so worth it.

Room Tip: 6th floor had good views. Try to go for at least club level. The extras are worth it.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pixie1Scotland
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Let me start by getting to the basics: the room was great, the bathroom facilities were very nice, we got a very good night's sleep. Breakfast was fine too. So all very good there. Elsewhere, however, the hotel felt not quite A*. It was a weekend so lots of leisure visitors. There was a wedding but even so the entrance was massively crowded, very noisy, lots of people coming and going all the time. When checking out we felt a bit nervous about leaving bags unattended for even seconds (as a visitor that's my out-of-London nervousness probably, there were lots of first-rate staff on hand). Great location for the West End. Not cheap but it's London.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Lovely hotel.Very comfortable luxurious bedroom.
Third visit,and twice we had been charged for breakfast seperately,whilst it was included in the rate.Also this time charged for room service at breakfast,which we took in the restaurant!
Sunday morning seemed staff couldnt cope long queue,maybe short staffed.Gave up queueing for hot food,had a muffin instead.Large function hotel could be the reason.Breakfast staff very polite.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business