“Great option in the heart of London” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square

London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square
Ranked #384 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great option in the heart of London”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

I stayed here two weeks during a recent business trip. The hotel is located in the wealthy Mayfair area of London. In fact, there a relatively few places in the world where you will find such a concentration of wealth. High-end luxury vehicles and sports cars are the norm. On any given block there are multi-millions of dollars (or pounds) parked on the street. I really say that to say the neighborhood is quiet, nice, and safe. The hotel is conveniently located near many sights, the U.S. Embassy, and the Jubilee and Central lines at Bond Street station. The hotel itself is nice. Rooms are clean and small relative to U.S. standards, but not the U.K. so expect this. The concierge lounge is nice, but food options are slim. The hotel has a Gordon Ramsay restaurant on-site, the Maze and Maze Grill. I had the traditional Sunday roast at the Maze Grill which was possibly the best roast I have ever had. The staff was helpful and friendly. Here is a tip. If you want to be billed in GBP, be sure to make this known; otherwise, the hotel will make the conversion to the native currency of your card. The rate is not likely to be very favorable; however, this can be helpful if your card company conversion and transaction fees are punitive.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Indonesian first
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

Spent 5 nights there in early May 2012.
The service & staff were outstanding from the minute we stepped in the door. From the front desk clerk to the concierge(s) to the staff in the lounge they all remembered our names the entire time we were there.
Every recommendation the concierge(s) made turned out to be right on the money.
The room was outstanding. We splurged a little and got an upgrade so we had a fireplace with sofa & easy chairs plus an outdoor patio with the same amenities. However the weather was not conducive to sitting outdoors - typlical British spring weather, cool & rainy. First time i have ever had a hotel room with a sliding door in the bathroom that allows you to sit in the bathtub and watch TV. Didn't use it but it was interesting and unusual.
The club lounge had an excellant breakfast plus heavy snack in the afternoon and evening. A very pleasant place to start & end the day. The staff in the lounge couldn't have been friendlier and attentive.
It was a short 2 block walk to Oxford street for shopping and the entrance to the Bond Street Underground station. Easy transfers all over London. The US Embassy is at the other end of Grosvenor Square, just a 2-3 minute walk. Hyde Park is another 3-4 minute walk past the Embassy.
Not a cheap place to stay but not out of line for an excellant London hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with a patio are excellant when the weather is nice enough to enjoy the outdoors. They are all...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

My stay was for business over 4 nights during March 2012. I was really quite pleased with the hotel, both the room and the service exceeded my expectations. This being only my second time in London and having had a very mediocre experience at the Mayfair for something like 1.75x the price (and after having a number of people flippantly comment that London hotels don't get much better), I had already lowered my expectations for this stay. I was very pleasantly surprised when I was greeted by a friendly and efficient staff. The standard room I got did not seem old or dingy in any way, and I had no problem with controlling the temperature (which had been a problem at the Mayfair). I dined at both the Maze and the Maze Grill that week and while I thought the food at both places was good, neither blew me away. Maze Grill did have a great steak though, if that's what you're looking for.

One incident of note was the effort the staff put in to rectify a mistake they had made during my stay. A maid had thrown away the clear plastic Ziploc bag I had used for my toiletries to comply with flight regulations and when I told the front desk about it, they found a way to get me a new one despite not having any on the premise. I believe they may have gone to the local drug store and actually purchased a new one for me, which was above and beyond. So, thank you to the staff at the Marriott and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

This was a great pick for our recent whirlwind, one-day visit to London. Only a few steps from the Bond Street Underground (one stop and transfer from Piccadilly line to/from LHR) we found the location perfect for our situation. Our room was not available when we arrived bright and early at 8am but the front desk was very helpful in all respects. They called about two hours later to let us know our room was available. We cut short our bus tour to return to the hotel for a much needed shower. I was especially pleased to find an umbrella in the closet for our soggy afternoon! We arrived too late and left too early to experience breakfast there, but were pointed our morning of arrival to a lovely breakfast / tea place (Allans) across the street by the bellman. The room itself was quite nice -- relatively good-sized for Europe, modern and recently renovated. Overall, we would definitely look at this property again for our next (hopefully longer and drier) visit to London!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

It is a lovely hotel located a few minutes walk from oxford street. They welcomed us into the hotel and upgraded us to superior for free. The room was lovely with a decorative fire place, and interesting bathroom ( a door opened up the bathroom to the bedroom for easy access to watching tv from the tub). The bed linen and pillows were so comfortable that we asked if it was possible to purchase them. The only downside was the shower leaked slightly so the bathroom floor was wet. The room was £250 roughly per night which is not too bad for the quality of service and location.

I was also there for a wedding function, the reception and dining room were both gorgeous. I would recommend this hotel. I cannot comment on the restaurant as unfortunately I did not get the time to eat there

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Marriott never let you down.. From doorman to room service the staff are friendly, professional & welcoming. The location of this hotel is second to none.. For those of you that enjoy shopping it is literally 2 mins walk from Oxford st. Those of you travelling for business it is right in the heart of London city close to all transport links. We went with our twoand half year old for a weekend break. We all thoroughly enjoyed our city break despite torrential downpours of rain!! The location meant a change of clothes was always at hand & also minimised our exposure to the elements!!! We had breakfast at hotel on one occasion & although delicious v v v pricey. Our room was a twin room with lovely views of grosvenor square. All mod cons & luxuries.. High ceilings meant although room was small didn't feel boxed in. Only disappointment was gym a lil bit sparse but will be going back next time I am in London.

• Stayed April 2012
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

This is an ideal hotel for visiting central London. All the staff were first class and very friendly. As my partner is a gold member we were upgraded to a corner suite. What a fantastic room (Rm614). We could have held a large party in the sitting area. The four poster bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. The club lounge was ideal for drinks and snacks. We had breakfast there on our second morning, good choice of food. We also had breakfast in the Maze Grill on our first morning. The lady when told our room number promptly told us we had complementary breakfast in the club lounge and would have to pay for it in the grill room. We already knew that and said it was ok. She then thanked us for coming. A little courtesy goes a long way. The breakfast was very good but may be expensive for some people. This hotel is ideal for shopping whether it is Oxford street or bond street. Access to the tube is only 5 mins away. I would recommend coming to this hotel at the weekend as I think it is frequented by business people. You may even get an upgrade as well. I will definitely come back here again. This is a far better hotel than the Marriott Hotel at St Pancras. It is expensive but for a special occasion or treat it is so worth it.

Room Tip: 6th floor had good views. Try to go for at least club level. The extras are worth it.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple