“somewhat disappointing”

Ranked #356 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“somewhat disappointing”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I've been at this hotel several times before, in the last foiur years.
The room and service are still ok but a warning : do not take breakfast
at this hotel , its, a ripp-off.
In the past, this Marriott ,had a nice breakfast buffet, but recenty this
was changed into an expensive, an poor a la carte "service"
Try to get a decent breakfast elsewhere

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Lees Summit, Mo
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,350 helpful votes
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This is a great location near all the places to visit and also next to great pubs, places to eat and shopping. It is expensive and the rooms are small but the service is great.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views and less city noise
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank postrawb
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My husband & I stayed here for 5 nights in May. The staff immediately greeted us as if we were royalty. They were so accomodating and friendly. It was my birthday during the stay and they sent a lovely chocolate birthday cake to my room! What a surprise! Our room was not huge, but big enough for the 2 of us with all the ammenities we needed. Terrific maid service. And the hotel is very close to the Bond Street tube station, making transportation a snap. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TTExcellentAdventure
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I stayed here two weeks during a recent business trip. The hotel is located in the wealthy Mayfair area of London. In fact, there a relatively few places in the world where you will find such a concentration of wealth. High-end luxury vehicles and sports cars are the norm. On any given block there are multi-millions of dollars (or pounds) parked on the street. I really say that to say the neighborhood is quiet, nice, and safe. The hotel is conveniently located near many sights, the U.S. Embassy, and the Jubilee and Central lines at Bond Street station. The hotel itself is nice. Rooms are clean and small relative to U.S. standards, but not the U.K. so expect this. The concierge lounge is nice, but food options are slim. The hotel has a Gordon Ramsay restaurant on-site, the Maze and Maze Grill. I had the traditional Sunday roast at the Maze Grill which was possibly the best roast I have ever had. The staff was helpful and friendly. Here is a tip. If you want to be billed in GBP, be sure to make this known; otherwise, the hotel will make the conversion to the native currency of your card. The rate is not likely to be very favorable; however, this can be helpful if your card company conversion and transaction fees are punitive.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Spent 5 nights there in early May 2012.
The service & staff were outstanding from the minute we stepped in the door. From the front desk clerk to the concierge(s) to the staff in the lounge they all remembered our names the entire time we were there.
Every recommendation the concierge(s) made turned out to be right on the money.
The room was outstanding. We splurged a little and got an upgrade so we had a fireplace with sofa & easy chairs plus an outdoor patio with the same amenities. However the weather was not conducive to sitting outdoors - typlical British spring weather, cool & rainy. First time i have ever had a hotel room with a sliding door in the bathroom that allows you to sit in the bathtub and watch TV. Didn't use it but it was interesting and unusual.
The club lounge had an excellant breakfast plus heavy snack in the afternoon and evening. A very pleasant place to start & end the day. The staff in the lounge couldn't have been friendlier and attentive.
It was a short 2 block walk to Oxford street for shopping and the entrance to the Bond Street Underground station. Easy transfers all over London. The US Embassy is at the other end of Grosvenor Square, just a 2-3 minute walk. Hyde Park is another 3-4 minute walk past the Embassy.
Not a cheap place to stay but not out of line for an excellant London hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with a patio are excellant when the weather is nice enough to enjoy the outdoors. They are all...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My stay was for business over 4 nights during March 2012. I was really quite pleased with the hotel, both the room and the service exceeded my expectations. This being only my second time in London and having had a very mediocre experience at the Mayfair for something like 1.75x the price (and after having a number of people flippantly comment that London hotels don't get much better), I had already lowered my expectations for this stay. I was very pleasantly surprised when I was greeted by a friendly and efficient staff. The standard room I got did not seem old or dingy in any way, and I had no problem with controlling the temperature (which had been a problem at the Mayfair). I dined at both the Maze and the Maze Grill that week and while I thought the food at both places was good, neither blew me away. Maze Grill did have a great steak though, if that's what you're looking for.

One incident of note was the effort the staff put in to rectify a mistake they had made during my stay. A maid had thrown away the clear plastic Ziploc bag I had used for my toiletries to comply with flight regulations and when I told the front desk about it, they found a way to get me a new one despite not having any on the premise. I believe they may have gone to the local drug store and actually purchased a new one for me, which was above and beyond. So, thank you to the staff at the Marriott and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 May 2012

This was a great pick for our recent whirlwind, one-day visit to London. Only a few steps from the Bond Street Underground (one stop and transfer from Piccadilly line to/from LHR) we found the location perfect for our situation. Our room was not available when we arrived bright and early at 8am but the front desk was very helpful in all respects. They called about two hours later to let us know our room was available. We cut short our bus tour to return to the hotel for a much needed shower. I was especially pleased to find an umbrella in the closet for our soggy afternoon! We arrived too late and left too early to experience breakfast there, but were pointed our morning of arrival to a lovely breakfast / tea place (Allans) across the street by the bellman. The room itself was quite nice -- relatively good-sized for Europe, modern and recently renovated. Overall, we would definitely look at this property again for our next (hopefully longer and drier) visit to London!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple