“Sub standard in every respect. Fail.”

Grange Strathmore Hotel
Ranked #508 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 March 2012

When told my my room number was 112a I had a sense of forbidding. It was a classic cheap hotel room which had been made by partitioning off a larger room. The fittings were strange and very tired, doubt anything has been changed since 1990 and it shows.

Service was lack lustre. My gin and tonic has flat tonic. I was told that was due to the lemon they has put in. A new one on me!!

Don't believe the website guff about the dining experience. You had to choose your meal at check in from 2 starters 2 main courses and , you've guessed it, two deserts. The food portions were mioscule and very ordinarily cooked. My dried out lamb came with a plastic container with bistro gravey with some mint stirred in. When our host asked for the wine list, each of our party was given a wine list, a piece a paper in a plastic sleeve. Needless to say, the large dining room was empty except for ourselves.

Breakfast was ok.

All in all, this is a shabby hotel for the non discerning. My guess is their main trade comes from coach parties. Avoid.

• Stayed: March 2012
There are newer reviews for Grange Strathmore Hotel

Reviewed 9 March 2012

I ended up in London unexpectedly after my travel plans changed at the last minute and I didn’t have hotel reservations. I checked at the Hotel Info booth a Heathrow and asked for a moderately priced hotel that was easy to get to and was located in an area that would allow some sightseeing. They made the reservations for this hotel. They knew it was my first time in London and I had not used the tube before. This hotel is two blocks from the Gloucester Station which meant that we would not need to change trains on the line from the airport. It took about 45 minutes to get there on the tube and that cost about $15 USD. We were told that a taxi ride there would have cost nearly $95 USD which sounded too steep for me. We had a map to the hotel from the station, but it still took us a bit to find the hotel as there is no sign out front and it is a block off the main roads. I had to ask for directions and I was literally in front of the hotel. It blends into the rowhouses and you don’t realize it is a hotel unless you look at the front door.

This is an old hotel – over a century old according to the framed newspaper story on the wall. The lobby is cramped and the carpet on the stairs is threadbare with some holes in it. There is a small bar and sitting area on the first floor, but I never saw more than 1-2 people in that lounge. Check in was efficient and the bellboys were friendly and attentive.

We were given a room on the ground floor. The room was a bit larger than a standard room with large windows – since we were on the ground floor, anyone walking on the sidewalk could look into our room so we needed to keep the curtains closed. You could hear conversations from people walking by.

The bed was comfortable, the room had a CRT television, and Wi-fi was free and easily accessible. The bathroom was very cramped and the tub had areas where the lining was rubbed off. You had a large step into the tub for a shower which felt precarious when the floor was wet.

Breakfast was included with our stay. They had a night restaurant attached to the lobby with hot and cold breakfast with attentive wait-staff and good, although basic, food.

I liked the location of this hotel. It is in walking distance to the London Museum and other museums and if you don’t mind walking a bit further, you can get to the shopping district. The tube stop is 3 blocks away and is surrounded by a grocery store and several fast food and sit down restaurants as well as a pharmacy. From the tube you can get pretty much everywhere, so I thought the location was great for my tours of Westminster Abby, the Tower of London, and Buckingham Palace.

There is a Westin, a Holiday Inn, and several other chain hotels in the area and all of them look nicer that the Strathmore. However, they are quite a bit more expensive. I think the Strathmore was a good alternative for the budget minded traveler who is willing to bypass some of the luxury items and settle for an older but clean hotel.

1  Thank DrTom234
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We used to live in London and know the city well. We have also stayed in Grange Blooms before and enjoyed that too. Grange Strathmore is in a good location for tourists. They can catch a bus going past the museums near South Kensington and on to the West End, or Gloucester Road tube station is 2 minutes away. The views are on a quiet but well to do residential street of London.

The hotel itself was well priced for a double room including continental breakfast. The staff were very friendly, accommodating and the room itself was ideal. Great night's sleep, good breakfast, nice ambience and quiet at night.

The Travelodge's were the same price and this is very much a step above them. Next time we stay over on a visit, we'll stick to a Grange hotel. Takes you a while to find a chain you trust but haven't had a bad stay with them

2  Thank rigatone
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We booked this hotel after being disappointed at the hotel provided by our tour group company. Arriving post tour after booking 2 weeks prior we were told that the hotel was overbooked, (31st december 2011) and we were offered a family room instead of our 2 doubles and they included free breakfast. The room was very comfortable and clean, although the bathroom was small and a couple of the tiles were broken. The hotel is a little tired and worn, but full of character and the staff were polite and very helpful. The concierge was wonderful and very helpful. The Grange Strathmore is in a great position to access all the museums and the city is a ten minute taxi ride at a cost of 12 pounds sterling or a tube ride of 4 stations.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We had a pleasant one night stay here for a good price. The staff are very friendly and polite which is always good and breakfast was fine. The hotel is just 100 yards down a side road so beautifully quite yet easy to get to the tube for access anywhere across London. The room was compact but the bed was very clean and comfortable. We did find the bathroom a little drafty and that could have been updated a bit as could the main hallway but overall we thought it was good value for money when combined with a theatre break.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary G
Reviewed 8 February 2012

A "nice" hotel - lovely public reception rooms, stylish and comfortable and the staff were excellent. Stayed on 4th floor, as others have commented the room was snug, small but just about adequate, everything provided that you need. Very heavy curtains, piping hot water and lovely fluffy white towels. However, the bathroom was very tired and in need of refurbishment. This was part of a theatre break and for the price we paid we were very satisfied, quiet nice area but central. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Basement rooms didn't look good
Reviewed 28 January 2012

If you are looking for a pleasant relaxing stay in London then in my view this hotel should be considered. It is in an excellent location for getting around London, close to the Gloucester Road tube – District, Circle and Piccadilly Lines tube - yet in quiet enough an area to get some sleep. Being an old London terraced building it is very closed in, you’d suffer a bit if you were claustrophobic - their website makes great use of wide angle lens shots - and has a lot of varying floor levels so if mobility is an issue take care. Rooms are nice enough, well equipped and clean, small and perhaps a bit dark but that down to age and design of the building, they are not the square box with corner bathrooms and all chrome, concealed lighting and fake wood of the Holiday Inn/ Hilton chains. Massive radiators - it was very cold weather when I stayed - my radiators were hidden behind thick curtains and blackout blinds so you have to do the “tuck behind” thing when you go to bed, if you want to wake up to a warm room. At least you could open the windows for some fresh air if you felt like it, again unlike many more modern hotels.

Lovely relaxing bar area with sumptuous chairs and settees AND drink prices very reasonable – this in fact is probably the hotel’s best feature and a great place to end a busy day in London.

Staff are excellent and could not try and do more for you.

Only downside is their strange and annoying system at breakfast. I can see the reason for it as I am sure many London hotels get ripped off by guests booking room only and then slipping in for breakfast but you have to go through the third degree at your table - after being checked out at breakfast room reception - before they think about giving you anything. Well, that should be the system; I admit I did lose it slightly and asked that I at least got a coffee before the interrogation began. I got the coffee and they didn't seem to hold it against me - I know, never annoy people serving you food...... I was lucky enough to be able to get up and have breakfast late, I think that if I’d been on a more pressing business trip the system would have really annoyed me!

I do think though that the Luxury Hotel tag is stretching it a bit too far but all in all I'd stay again, I perhaps prefer their sister hotel, The Grange Rochester, for its location near Victoria, but the Strathmore is more relaxing.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business