“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Ranked #511 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

This hotel is in tatters. The paint is peeling off the walls and it has dodgy old furniture, musty carpets and curtains. It's so dusty that it made a friend of mine with a dust allergy quite ill. The rooms are tiny.

Be prepared to be ripped off when it comes to the internet. They charge outrageous fees for access to their WiFi, notwithstanding that internet can be obtained very cheaply by hotel businesses these days.

I raised the concern with the manageress of the hotel in the first instance to give her the opportunity to make this right and was met with an incredibly rude, surly and impatient manner. She certainly does not meet any basic minimum standard in customer service.

I cannot imagine how this person treats her staff if this is how she treats her customers, and that can only make for unhappy staff and an even worse experience for guests visiting the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Emeka K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Finnish first
Texas
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I loved my stay at the Strathmore! It is conveniently located a few blocks north from the Gloucester station and a few blocks southwest of Imperial college, Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens, and Royal Albert Hall. The single room is not at all large, though I was 100% satisfied with the smaller space and it's amenities. A very large window allowed abundant, warm light to filter into my room, while the attractive, heavy curtains kept the room dark in the evening/night. Plenty of small furniture pieces were present to tuck away enough clothing for four days, and the closet was perfect for one person's four-night stay. The bathroom was small but met my needs quite well, though the sink was slow to drain. I also slept very well! Breakfast was abundant and good, as well, and the staff was ready to assist.
If you are looking for a good hotel close to the fabulous sites mentioned above, would like a nice breakfast served complimentary, and if you are happy to sacrifice a little of your EXTRA space for what you really need, then this hotel is IDEAL for you!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

+ Nice and calm borough
+ Staff
+ Underground station
+ Bathroom

- Time-worn/outdated (door, carpet, paint)
- Not much to see on walking distance (must take the tube)
- We had a small room

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank H S
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2012

GOD ! It was really difficult to imagine that a room could be THIS small !! I booked 2 double rooms and honestly, they must have a truly professionally manipulative photographer but the rooms were cramped, tiny, suffocating and uncomfortable to say the least !!

I asked for a table fan in the room since it was the middle of summer and the windows dont open more than 3 inches... the guy turns up 45 mins later with a tiniest of fans.... sent back to get a bigger one and literally didnt have ANYWHERE in the room to put it !!!

APPALLING !!! IN EVERY ASPECT !!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT CHOOSE A ROOM here !!!! Find something else.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I didn't think that a room that small could exist. Now I understand what a cabin room means (6x10). The bathroom was tiny, but well organized and clean. The bed was comfortable.

On a negative note, there was some work being done in the hotel. No one warned me and workers were going at in starting at 8 AM everyday, including weekends. Extremely loud noises were being made in the morning, at at night, I actually.. heard the neighbors. Not much sleep for me at this hotel..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Marie-Anne G
Reviewed 10 March 2012

When told my my room number was 112a I had a sense of forbidding. It was a classic cheap hotel room which had been made by partitioning off a larger room. The fittings were strange and very tired, doubt anything has been changed since 1990 and it shows.

Service was lack lustre. My gin and tonic has flat tonic. I was told that was due to the lemon they has put in. A new one on me!!

Don't believe the website guff about the dining experience. You had to choose your meal at check in from 2 starters 2 main courses and , you've guessed it, two deserts. The food portions were mioscule and very ordinarily cooked. My dried out lamb came with a plastic container with bistro gravey with some mint stirred in. When our host asked for the wine list, each of our party was given a wine list, a piece a paper in a plastic sleeve. Needless to say, the large dining room was empty except for ourselves.

Breakfast was ok.

All in all, this is a shabby hotel for the non discerning. My guess is their main trade comes from coach parties. Avoid.

• Stayed March 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I ended up in London unexpectedly after my travel plans changed at the last minute and I didn’t have hotel reservations. I checked at the Hotel Info booth a Heathrow and asked for a moderately priced hotel that was easy to get to and was located in an area that would allow some sightseeing. They made the reservations for this hotel. They knew it was my first time in London and I had not used the tube before. This hotel is two blocks from the Gloucester Station which meant that we would not need to change trains on the line from the airport. It took about 45 minutes to get there on the tube and that cost about $15 USD. We were told that a taxi ride there would have cost nearly $95 USD which sounded too steep for me. We had a map to the hotel from the station, but it still took us a bit to find the hotel as there is no sign out front and it is a block off the main roads. I had to ask for directions and I was literally in front of the hotel. It blends into the rowhouses and you don’t realize it is a hotel unless you look at the front door.

This is an old hotel – over a century old according to the framed newspaper story on the wall. The lobby is cramped and the carpet on the stairs is threadbare with some holes in it. There is a small bar and sitting area on the first floor, but I never saw more than 1-2 people in that lounge. Check in was efficient and the bellboys were friendly and attentive.

We were given a room on the ground floor. The room was a bit larger than a standard room with large windows – since we were on the ground floor, anyone walking on the sidewalk could look into our room so we needed to keep the curtains closed. You could hear conversations from people walking by.

The bed was comfortable, the room had a CRT television, and Wi-fi was free and easily accessible. The bathroom was very cramped and the tub had areas where the lining was rubbed off. You had a large step into the tub for a shower which felt precarious when the floor was wet.

Breakfast was included with our stay. They had a night restaurant attached to the lobby with hot and cold breakfast with attentive wait-staff and good, although basic, food.

I liked the location of this hotel. It is in walking distance to the London Museum and other museums and if you don’t mind walking a bit further, you can get to the shopping district. The tube stop is 3 blocks away and is surrounded by a grocery store and several fast food and sit down restaurants as well as a pharmacy. From the tube you can get pretty much everywhere, so I thought the location was great for my tours of Westminster Abby, the Tower of London, and Buckingham Palace.

There is a Westin, a Holiday Inn, and several other chain hotels in the area and all of them look nicer that the Strathmore. However, they are quite a bit more expensive. I think the Strathmore was a good alternative for the budget minded traveler who is willing to bypass some of the luxury items and settle for an older but clean hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple