“Extremely warm and friendly welcome”

London Marriott Hotel Kensington
Ranked #242 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Hitchin, United Kingdom
“Extremely warm and friendly welcome”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday purely for leisure. The hotel reception staff were extremely efficient and very welcoming. The barman was wonderful. In fact every member of staff we encountered was very friendly and helpful. Not always the case in London hotels! The hotel was very clean, buzzy and not horrificly expensive. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip into London.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christine H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Minnesota
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week between March 6 and March 14, 2012. While the reception staff was very accommodating and friendly, the overall quality and condition of the rooms was disappointing. I would rate the reception staff and Concierge a 4.5, who greeted us warmly each time we entered the hotel and were helpful with restaurant suggestions and reservations. Twice, however, they failed to give us the wake-up call we had requested.
The room was generally quiet, but the bed was uncomfortable, due to poor back support. it dipped in the middle. I looked at the mattress. It was one of those inexpensive with blue and white striped ticking, definitely not high quality. They really need to upgrade their mattresses. Also, the room was very small. That may be the case for hotel rooms in London, in general, though. Two lampshades were in poor condition. One was actually torn, and another stained. The bathroom, particularly the tile floor, was ice cold. According to staff the bathrooms in this hotel are not heated. I don't know whether or not that is common in London. Overall, since we were paying almost $300.00, I would have expected a more presentable room and comfortable bed.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank peripateticpeg
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 March 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 weeks on a business trip.. Some thoughts -

Pros
1) Location - Located in Kensington and just a few mins walk away from a tube stop so was extremely easy to get around the city. Also there are numerous restaurants walking distance from the hotel..

2) Clean - the rooms and bathrooms are extremely clean

Cons
1) Old - hotel is extremely old and in a desperate need of a renovation

2) Bed - with the hotel being super old, the beds are extremely worn out. I had taken a weekend trip so stayed in two different rooms, but the bed was extremely old and uncomfortable in both rooms

3) Room service - although was quick the menu is pretty basic and food isn't that great..

Overall just a very average stay.. The crowne plaza across the street seemed a lot nicer than than the Marriott

Stayed February 2012
4 Thank worldtraveller8311
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We were a group of 52, age 8 to 40ish, coming down to the 'move it' dance exhibition at olymipia, we stayed over night at the marriot in Kensington.
when we arrived the staff in reception looked after us really well.
The hotel was well maintained very clean and had excellent decoration, the rooms again were of a very high standard, and the beauty of a such a large party we were able to check out the other rooms, which were all of the same standard. The beds were very comfortable with good quaility bedding, and all rooms were nice and big.
At breakfast nothing was to much trouble and most of the younger children had pancakes made especially for them which made them feel really special, the staff in dinning room were very polite, friendly and helpful.
As our train didn't leave the next day until later that afternoon, the manger let us leave all our bags and cases in the hotel, to save us dragging them around London, which was so nice. all in all I rate this hotel very highly and would without doubt recommend it to anyone to stay here 10/10

• Stayed March 2012
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Just spent the weekend at the Marriott Kensington, we had a great time, the hotel and its facilties were of a really high standard. The polite and friendly staff focused on the customer which was a pleasure to see.

We found the hotel very comfortable and cleaniless was first class. The executive lounge was a really nice touch, its a pity other hotels don't take on board this idea....

Location was great with 5 min walk to closest tube station. Overall i would highly recommend this hotel for a nice pleasent weekend stay....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Boynton Beach
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I am very happy I did chose this hotel and will likely stay here again in the future.

The location is excellent and it was a pretty decent hotel although I did notice a for rent sign outside so I don't know how much longer it would be a Marriott.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BBChef
Dublin
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I stayed here on 23rd February due to the fact that the normal Marriott I stay in london was extremely expensive.
Check in was slow, it took nearly 20 mins to check in for one night. At check in I was advised that I got the deluxe room and on entry to the room (on the 8th Floor) I was disappointed from the point i got off the lift.
There was not much room in the corridors and when I got to my room the disappointments did not end there. the deluxe room was a standard queen size bed (even though on my booking I had asked for a king bed). The bed itsself was the usual marriott bed with sufficient pillows etc.
the air con in the room was extremely loud.
The bathroom was standard size however the water pressure was very poor and what should have been a 5 min shower took 3 times the lenght to ensure that all the shampoo was washed clean from my hair.
The "high speed" internet access is a complete joke. At £15 its far to expensive and very slow. I rang down to complain re this speed and though the reception discounted the price by half £7 for this connection is still far too much to pay for what could only be described as a connection from the dark ages.
All in all, I was very disappointed with this hotel and in future I hope that I will be able to book in time that I can get my usual London Hotel (the Marriott Grosvenor Square) which is by far a much better hotel and the service and rooms are of a higher quality.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business