Open today: 9:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Ways to Experience Churchill War Rooms
from US$27.90
from US$63.70
from US$91.60
from US$146.00
19,617 results
All reviews map room underground bunker audio guide history buff his life great man prime minister step back in time interactive displays london pass own pace two hours couple of hours great museum well worth the visit ww2 information
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We had timed tickets to enter at 2:30. When we arrived, we were told we would have to wait in the back of the line, because everyone was delayed. The line was extremely long and not moving fast. We said, we would like to change our tickets for another day. We were told "no", "this is not possible". Apparently getting our money back was "not possible" either. We ended up waiting 1 hour and 15 min in the rain to finally get in. When we finally got in I asked to speak to the manager. I believe her name was Carolyn. While polite, she told me my only recourse is to email the museum, because "she was powerless". So it was a bit of the- too bad so sad defense.

I understand this is the holidays, and I even understand that errors happen. However,I think that when the system gets screwed up, it is not only the responsibility but the obligation the museum to try to fix it. I was completely annoyed by their lack of empathy and unwillingness to accommodate a time change- especially since it was their fault.

My other gripe with this place is the complete lack of organization in the big open museum room. This room is filled will all sorts of great information about Churchill, but it is not organized in any order, so one minute you are reading about his pre WW2 life and the next about his 4 kids. Really hard to follow.

I encourage everybody else who had a similar experience with their tickets to complain.

1  Thank ShopgirlHK
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We bboked ahead of time and walked right to the front of the line. We allocated about 90 minutes and that was just about right though if you want you could spend more time depending on long you spend on the interactives. Really loved the history of the place, the audio tower and the variety of types of exhibits. Watch the Darkest Hour before you go, it helps!

2  Thank Guinness13
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

A really interesting experience. Both of my children aged 9 and 11 enjoyed it. My husband's Grandmother was the security to the foreign minister at the time of world war 2. It gave us insight into what it was like and told us more about Winston Churchill himself. Very informative and interactive. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank Lydia W
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Loved this museum. Really interesting and informative and takes a look into such an important part of British history. We took two littles of 6 and 4. The 4 year old was bored but the 6 year old loved it as he was learning about WW2 at school. Something for everyone and highly recommended.

1  Thank AWilliams1978
Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

We pre booked our tickets for a 1pm time slot. Disabled concession excellent with my husband (carer ) going in free of charge. There is a lift down to War Rooms, but the steps down seemed quite steep, although that can't be helped considering the nature of the venue.

We were advised to enter via alternative entrance but was disappointed when the door person initially wouldn't allow our family to join me and my husband. Considering there was only 3 adults (hardly excessive), it seemed a little unfair that we were to be separated. Luckily for us, a very kind gentleman voiced his concern at this, so the door attendant gave in and allowed them to join us.

Despite pre booking your time slot, you are still expected to go to the back of the queue which was very long. Many people hadn't pre booked so thus made a bit of a mockery of the system. They only allow around 10 people in at a time, I'm assuming due to the fact that space is limited to obtain your handset for listening to the museum descriptions? Ultimately, some people who booked to get in at 1pm, didn't get in until much, much later and had to stand in a queue in the pouring rain. System of entry needs reviewing urgently . It makes the UK and our penchant for queuing look ridiculous.

The venue is wheelchair friendly, albeit a little narrow in a few places. Audio description is excellent. However, think twice before taking your children. It's not in the slightest child friendly. Nearly every child I saw, was sat playing on their mobile phones, or sat or stood around looking extremely bored waiting to their family to move to the next section. It could do with more interactive features for the children or maybe some re-enactments similar to those stories Eden Camp in Yorkshire. There's no 'touchy feely' aspects, not even a wartime telephone or typewriter for visitors ( especially the kids) to try out.

The museum is too ad-hoc and if your not careful, you'll miss loads of excellent things. That's great for those who like to wander around, but it would be beneficial to have a structured, chronological order of Churchill's life. If you're not interested in his early years etc, then move on. For us, we missed loads of stuff that our party members had seen. There are a few more interactive things to take part in , although this is still very limited. This however, is boring for kids unless they have some sort of vested interest in Sir Winston Churchill and WW2!

The cafe is small but it wasn't overcrowded, mainly because we went to it without following the War Rooms chronology. This meant us having to double back to where we left off which was a bit of a squeeze in the wheelchair. That said, despite a limited menu, the food was adequate, although how they can justify charging £2.99 for a piddling little brownie, yet for a fiver you can buy a decent sized ham and cheese roll beggars comprehension . Even that though is taking the micky. Typical though of the U.K ripping off the public for half decent food at overinflated prices. Shame on you all.

Despite my gripes, it was, all in all a very interesting place to visit.

2  Thank Di C