“What’s happened”
Review of Hix

Hix
Reserve with OpenTable
Hix is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,509 of 25,288 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$28 - US$66
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Soho
Description: Located in the heart of Soho, an area which is quickly moving towards fast casual, to visit HIX Soho is to experience true hospitality and the subtle elegance of service-craft. With an unrivalled dedication to seasonality HIX Soho brings fish and shellfish to the forefront, offering a premium seafood experience serving carefully sourced produce from the British Isles. The leather banquettes lend themselves to intimate corner tables for two or larger dining parties of up to 12, a rare find in this part of London. The oak paneled private dining room is the perfect setting for discreet meals and meetings for up to 10. Open all day every day, HIX Soho is the perfect spot for pre-theatre dining. A set menu is also available until 6.30pm every weekday for only £19.50 for 2 courses. Join us for Bottomless Brunch on a Saturday or the best British roast every Sunday. Downstairs is the iconic Mark’s Bar with its apothecary bar and an eccentric seasonal cocktail list. The bar is open from 12noon - 1am for drinks and bar snacks. Mark's bar does not take reservations for drinks as it operates on first in first served basis.
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

I came here a year ago with friends and was great, so thought I would return with my girlfriend a year later and was so gutted I did. It was like a different place. Now I know I should of said something when I was asked “is everything ok” and if with anyone other than the better half I would of done. To be fair the oysters were lovely (but they don’t cook them) and my misses fish and chips were “ok” but it’s my steak that the main issue is with. When I came here before they came out with raw steak board and talked you through them etc. This time nothing but I still ordered the Sirloin steak (£30) medium rare. It was probably one of the worst bits of steak I have had it was like the soul of my shoe. Yes when asked everything ok I SO should of said “actually no” but as I said I didn’t want to ruin my fiancée evening. Mash was shocking also. Service was fine and waiter was nice enough but it wasn’t very busy (maybe everyone heard about the steaks) I did however go down stairs for a cocktail and when asked by Head Barman (out of ear shot of fiancé I might add) I did tell him about steak but he just shrugged his shoulders and said no more on the matter (maybe he had just cooked it as no real chefs about). So all being said I won’t be returning to what once was a Lovely restaurant.

3  Thank Paul S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,149)

Reviewed April 4, 2018

I was here when there was a heavy snowfall so my fellow guests were running late due to disrupted travel. The staff were very helpful and allowed the table booking to be pushed back until they all arrived (around 2 hours late for the last guest to arrive). However, this allowed me to sample the bar downstairs, which was very good and a great atmosphere. The house beer was good also.

In the dining room, the staff again were very attentive and helpful. Some good wine choices and the food menu looked good. However, I was a little let down with the food served especially the lamb dish I ordered. Whilst it wasn’t bad, some of the lamb didn’t seem the best quality and the potion size was meagre for the price paid. However, the dish did have some highlights in some areas so definitely not enough to complain but not something that will be remembered.

Overall, I would expect we could get better value for money elsewhere but this I would say this place is worth a visit if you want to experience something different in terms of atmosphere and décor. If returning I would maybe just stick to the bar downstairs.

1  Thank KB_the_truth
Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

A really cool restaurant with a great menu.
So much choice and all amazing dishes.
Crabmeat starter and squid both excellent.
I had liver with bacon for mains.
All really excellent and just a great ambience.

Reviewed March 29, 2018

Group of 8 at lunch. Ordered a variety of dishes from the menu, quick service and very attentive staff. Excellent steak (shared the porterhouse with a colleague) though slightly underdone,there was enough for me. The lamb (three ways) as well as the ribeye looked and tasted amazing too. The monkfish looked appetising. Sides were great with the blue cheese salad and chips. Dessert of apple pie was delicious. Chocolate fondant was yummy too. Cocktails were flowing and tasty and my team thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Would definitely come back.

Reviewed March 27, 2018

fantastic evening, great staff - drinks were delicious and tasty. will recommend if youre in central