“Old Style Hotel with great service and rooms”

Britannia International Hotel
Ranked #881 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Mumbai
“Old Style Hotel with great service and rooms”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Located in Canary Wharf area hotel is got the old time charm. Rooms are cozy with comfortable beds. For a change a hotel in London with air conditioning working during summers. Staff at restaurant, concierge and front desk were particularly helpful. Chef Ahmed was kind enough to get us omlettes which were not really on the menu. A big Thank you to him. Hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Check out for rooms facing water.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Britannia International Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2012
Dear checkfeedback,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team here are committed to ensuring all our guest are comfortable during their stay and received the best possible service. Your feedback is very important to us and is very much appreciated; our team will be thrilled to receive it. I am pleased to know that Ahmed ( Chef ) did exceed your expectations. Thanks for your review it will be a pleasure to welcoming you back in future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (891)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

i am visiting this hotel tomorrow untill sunday..
i was very concerned about visiting the international hotel after reading alot of the reviews!! so i emailed the manager today as i was quite woried about dust and things and i do suffer from bad allergies!
but the manager, Siddharth was brilliant, very helpfull and understanding and said he would personally look into the booking for me and see what room we have been allocated. and then got back to me to say he had allocatedme and my partner a Premium Room! not too sure what facilitie a premium room has, hopefully it will be up to the standard!
very much looking forward to too our visit now!! as i was very worried about going this morning! i will write a full review after my stay on sunday!

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We booked a break at the Britannia International, Canary Wharf from the 1st June to 4th June 2012 for the Jubilee.
The first problem we encountered was on booking in. The receptionist spoke so little English that she couldn't understand that we wanted to unload our luggage to the lobby before putting the car in the basement garage. She kept repeating that we couldn't block the door. We asked if a porter could fetch it and received the same reply. Eventually we gave up and drove to the basement and had to carry the luggage up two floors to the lobby.
Initial reaction to the room was pleasing, then you notice the worn, chipped furniture, the chipped bath and the fact that both vents were full of dust, the wallpaper was ripped in places and really did show a lot of wear. The windows were filthy so much so that we were unable to take any photographs of the barges that were berthed ready for the pageant. There was around 2 years of dirt on the outside of the glass. Shocking. Will they be clean for the Olympics?
We decided to eat in the carvery, Jenny's. Big mistake!! the rolls were hard and dry, the carrot and coriander soup had no taste whatsoever even with the addition of salt! and the colour was sludge green. I had the pate which was absolutly awful both in texture and taste.
We tried to get the attention of some of the waiting staff, if they hadn't been studying the carpet we may have been noticed, but eventually gained the attention of an oriental waiter and explained the problem with a smile he said "OK" and we thought he'd gone to get someone to deal with us. But no! he then started clearing a table.
Sometime later and growing more frustrated we gained the attention of a 'chef' he went to the kitchen and came back and told us the soup was fine ! but we are the customers and we're expected to eat it ?
We gave up and went to the carvery. We selected Turkey and Gammon, roast potatoes and vegetables and then added a lump of gravy. The meat had no flavour whatsoever, the potatoes were hot but tasteless and the vegetables cold and rock hard and as I said a lump of gravy. Needless to say we didn't eat this either.
My husbands beer tasted most strange and had no head which is unusual for a Tetley's Smooth this was replaced but it had either been pulled and left for a very long time or it was the first to be pulled that evening. Normally at the start of a shift at least two pints, which lie in the pipes, are drawn and discarded!
I also noticed that the vegetarian option, pasta with a little spinach was hardly appetizing nor attractive. Mearly something offered as a sop with very little nourishment.
By now the table was a little crowded as we still had the starter plates and the plates with the stale roll and also our main course dishes. No effort was made to clear them or replace any cutlery.
We went to get puddings, a crumble which looked as if had been scraped from another container, some very sad gateau the sort you see in supermarket freezers, and cheese three bits all greasy and 3 tiny round cheese biscuits and a few grapes, no apple or celery etc dull, unappetizing and tasteless. I dropped a pen and bent down the side of the table to retreive it, The wall and skirting boards were absolutly filthy, dribbled food, dust etc. We eventually got the attention of a waitress and made our feelings quite clear.
On both Saturday and Sunday we went to have breakfast. The food was so unappetising and poorly presented that we left. The eggs both scrambled and fried were dry, with solid yolks, the bacon just 'slung' in a container, beans looked dry and unappealing and the black puddings could have knocked over skittles.
The next evening we ate in the Pizzeria the staff were wonderful attentive but unobtrusive and the food superb, needless to say we ate there again on Sunday and Ranjit even remembered that I needed water for medication and he also remembered what we had to drink the previous evening. Excellent service!!
I would suggest that staff from jenny's are put in here to learn how to be a waiter or waitress. The other point here is that there were so few staff working in the Pizzeria and delivering room service and yet staff in Jenny's just seem to stand avoiding both work and eye contact. Not once on the Friday were we approached and asked if we were happy or satisfied with the standards.
I spoke to Paul Saturday evening as my letter of complaint had not been answered and suggested that he checked the wall beside the table and then had a meeting on Sunday with Jason which was very productive and he took on board our comments and it was pleasing to see him taking notes. An excellent employee who will go far.
We are relativly comfortable senior citizens and travel for 5 or 6 months a year, both in the UK, Europe and the States and before I retired I was in the hospitality industry for over 40 years and feel quite cross that as a customer I perform your quality audit. I am also annoyed that our service in the UK falls way behind the rest of the world and generally we have a dreadful reputation for service, quality and value.
You should also bear in mind that lots of people feel intimidated by complaining, go away unhappy and tell other people of their terrible experience, as well as Trip Adviser

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first and if the food is bad then complain immediately
6 Thank Andrea31020
ManagerInternational, Manager at Britannia International Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear Andrea31020,

Thank you very much for posting your comments on the Trip advisor Website.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay with us. May I request you to kindly contact me, so that I can investigate all the issues addressed by you. I can assure you that this level of service is not of our standards. Please kindly contact me on siddharth.mahajan@britanniahotels.com

Hampshire
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed here the evening of the Diamond Jubilee river pageant. Room was fine but breakfast was a fiasco. The deal that we had booked included a continental breakfast and we were told at reception when we booked in that breakfast was served from 7am. The concierge said the same in the morning but it didn't open until 7.30. When I questioned this at Reception I was told it was because it was a Bank Holiday - shame nobody had bothered to tell the rest of the staff. The continental breakfast was poor. Given that we were in the restaurant as soon as it opened we were surprised that the coffee was lukewarm. The selection was not what I would have classed continental - the choice was very limited. Cold toast, no rolls or bread and the croissant that I had was stale. Not at all enjoyable and certainly wouldn't have been happy if had had to pay the £10.95 each which is the full price of this breakfast.i

Room Tip: Try not to have a room with the DLR located right outside.
1 Thank Moonraker03
Dear Moonraker03,

Thank you very much for posting your comments on the Trip advisor Website.

We do not generally sell Continental Breakfast other than as inclusive rates. In Jenny’s restaurant we offer an English Breakfast buffet which consists of scrambled, fried or boiled eggs, Cumberland and vegetarian sausages, hash browns, tomatoes, mushrooms, porridge, selection of breads, croissants, preserves, cereals, cold meats and cheese, juices, fruits, yoghurts, etc. We do regularly receive very good feedback in regards to the variety and quality of the food on offer.

I ma sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations and I am concerned that you have taken away a less than favourable impression of the International Hotel as a result.

Naturally we are keen to redeem our reputation and with this in mind may I kindly request that you contact me personally on siddharth.mahajan@britanniahotels.com.

Manchester, England
Reviewed 3 June 2012 via mobile

Good location to get into central London and close to shopping mall.
Bad customer service, shabby rooms, dusty and overall hotel in need of a makeover.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank hayley001
Dear hayley001,

Mount Olive, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Very good value for the money in this up and coming business district. We were right on the water with great views through large picture windows across the whole wall. The rooms show wear (peeling wall paper, tired carpet, etc) but once they remodel the place will probably not be such a great deal. No microwave or fridge but that seems to be true in most UK places. It is an easy walk across the footbridge to lots of shopping & restaurants plus the Canary Wharf Tube. Most of the shopping is underground so we did not discover it until late. Would recommend going to the Waitrose (underground mall) to buy wine or other staples to help contain your food/drink budget.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the water, the view over the DLR is limited although still OK.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan C
Devon
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We booked this hotel as we wanted to be close to 02 so position was brilliant! I requested a high level room which we were given. Level 9 with a water view of the wharf. The windows are dirty but the view was brilliant. The room was spacious and clean. It is rather old school in decor but we found it to be cosy enough. We were B&B and managed to sample both buffet breakfast and continental breakfast. We preferred the buffet as we love cooked when we are on holiday. We had our car with us and parking for 24hrs is £21. We would use this hotel again :-)

Room Tip: Request high room when booking for good view of wharf
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hannah E
Dear Hannah E,

On behalf of all the staff of the International Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to post these positive comments about your recent stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With kind regards,