All reviews the natural history museum albert hall great location gloucester road twin room short stay rooms are small minute walk tube station tea and coffee clean hotel hyde park piccadilly line stayed here for one night budget hotel harrods
Reviewed January 30, 2015

I like to be positive, so I'll start with all that was good. First of all, and the main reason why we chose this hotel, the location. Right across from the Natural History Museum, near the Science Museum and V&A. 15 minutes' walk from Hyde Park. Near the major Gloucester tube.
The rooms are clean, water hot, enough light in bathroom (first hotel I've been to that I could say that), many mirrors.
The rooms are small, and creatively arranged - and that is fine. But the following is a list of things that could easily be improved by the hotel's management to make the experience of staying there pleasant instead of just satisfactory. In any order, not necessarily of importance:
- WiFi unreliable. Signal keeps changing from OK to low to even disappearing. Hard to work like that.
- Not enough storage space, and even with the space there is could be better arranged. For instance in the closet there were a couple of shelves that didn't go all the way to the end of the space, so that only a couple of cm were left - nothing can go there, and with so little storage space every little bit counts. The desk could have more drawers and the couple there are used by the hotel to place coffee/tea and cannot be used by guests.
- Hardly anywhere to put things in bathroom, and the one shelf that was there had a slant so things kept falling off. There was room to put a couple more shelves, and ensure they are level.
- Walls paper thin: I could hear TV and talk from both sides and one night even from above. Slept very badly all 5 nights. Worse than in any other hotel I've stayed at.
- Beds very uncomfortable. Thin mattresses, very soft. Contributed to my sleeping badly. I got up in the morning with an aching back – not a problem I usually have. First time in all hotels I've been to that the bed is an issue.
- The hotel seems to have suffered major thefts, and honest guests are paying the price. For instance first time I've encountered disposable glasses in bathroom; and the base of the electric kettle is screwed to the desk (and placed most inconveniently to make the desk useless). Personally I found this to be insulting and think management should consider the cost of the occasional theft of a kettle or glasses made of glass – especially where the hotel has the credit card information of all guests and can charge them if need be – vs the implication this has on guests' experience.
- Reception staff, most though not all, does not know how to smile. Not only that, but many a time we'd walk in and say hello or good evening and the people at the reception did not even raise their heads or answer. We had little need for them and have no issue with their service when we did. The reception is the face of the hotel, a smile is a universal signal of welcome, and saying good day is just polite. We got used to it and soon made jokes of it, but still I cannot understand this behavior.
So to sum up will we return? Not automatically. Only if we want to be at that location, and can find no better deal – and we will look hard for one. Will I recommend this hotel to others? Again, only if this hotel offers the cheapest rates in the area. Of course, this may change and when the time comes we will follow up on recent guests' experience to see whether changes have been made.

Room tip: At either end of corridor, so that noise from only one adjoining room and not two.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank ofra01
Reviewed January 30, 2015

The hotel was easy to get to from the airport via the Tube with the Gloucester station just a short walk away. The staff were nice but the room was small for a double bed but it did look like the pictures. There was not even space for a chair but they supply a stool to sit on at a small desk. The bathroom is also small and large people would find it difficult to use the toilet as it so close to the wall and dispenser. The shower only had warm water and the room was cool at best. I used ear plugs to sleep but still heard traffic noise in the morning. When I booked the room I thought breakfast was included so was disappointed to find that it cost 7 pounds for a continental breakfast. The website is very misleading as it states that it is included. I would stay in the same area again but would look around for other hotels. Then again, I have no idea what it costs to stay at other hotels so this place may be a decent deal for what they offer.

Room tip: Rooms appear regular in THEIR pictures but large people will feel cramped.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Tracybiker69
Reviewed January 22, 2015

Good hotel, excellent location for Museums/Kensington/Harrods. Natural History Museum just across the road. The hotel was clean and the twin room was a good size. Nice big shower and hot water, comfortable beds and I've paid a lot more for a lot worse in London. Lots of restaurants and places to eat within 5 minute walk and the Gloucester Road Tube station was 5 minute walk and is a quieter tube station but frequent tubes.
Only downside with hotel was as we were sat in our room another couple walked in, apparently the had double booked the room and even though we had locked the door from the inside they were able to come in. We did complain to reception but nothing was achieved by this.

1  Thank gelerumph
Reviewed January 17, 2015

Just returned from an overnight visit to see The Jersey Boys, a birthday treat for my friend. First impressions of hotel was wow, excellent check in and our room was ready so we were able to go to our room an hour earlier than the stated time. That is when we were dissapointed. We found our room and at first we thought it was the laundry room as there were sheets being stored there but then realised we had to go through this narrow corridor and our room was next to where the sheets were kept. The room was tiny and our beds were toe to toe, literally. We did have a good nights sleep though as it was quiet and didn't notice the traffic noise. When I booked the room I thought breakfast was included so was dissapointed to find that there was an additional cost for a continental breakfast. The website is very misleading as it states that it is included. I would stay again though as it is close to the Gloucester Road tube.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Steve R
Reviewed January 14, 2015

The room we got was quite small but the idea was not to be staying in the hotel room. The breakfast was not included in our price so we had to buy it every morning. Since I love breakfast I rather would have the breakfast included in the price. The staff was friendly and helpful.

The location of the hotel was really good it was near a museum (cannot remember the name) and we had walking distance to the subway.

Date of stay: February 2014