“Avoid at all costs - disgrace!”

Eden Plaza Kensington
Ranked #703 of 1,082 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 December 2017

At the end of November, I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. I travel around 5 months out of the year for business & stay in a lot of hotels worldwide. Upon checking out this hotel after a 3 night stay, I had realised that the hotel had charged me an additional £200. Upon phoning the hotel to query the charge (as I thought they double charged me for my room by mistake), I had been told by the rude & unhelpful man on reception that I was charged £200 for carpet damage. Completely shocked I had asked what carpet damage and he had taken a stern tone and told me "I only work here" - I thought that was quite obvious to be honest. He proceeded to tell me that I would need to speak with booking.com to query this or speak with the manager of the hotel. I asked if speaking to a manager was possible and he said "no". I then asked for proof and he said that they didn't have any photos of the room before I had arrived. Quite honestly, as I travel so much for business, I don't feel it necessary to take an inventory upon arriving in a hotel room each time.
After contacting booking.com, they had liaised with the hotel directly who proceeded to refuse a refund. Booking.com themselves had told me I was a genuine, loyal customer with no complaints or issues with any of my bookings before. Eden Plaza Hotel told booking.com that they received complaints about the room, after my checkout.. The meer fact that they sold this room with apparent "carpet damage" says it all.
I have worked in the hospitality industry from a young age & appreciate the efforts that go into running a hotel and with this being said, I would hold my hands up should I have caused any type of damage or issue with any hotel room. Even if I had of, take a look at the pictures of this hotel's single rooms... No way would it cost £200 to get this cleaned or replaced!
As a young, self-employed business woman, I am absolutely appalled that this hotel have taken such advantage of an individual. They clearly seen me as an easy target & I would advise anyone TO ADVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!!!!! The staff are rude, unhelpful and a disgrace to call this a "reputable business".

Room Tip: do not book
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Ks1Donegal

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

They were very helpfull and friendly ! If you arrive before check in time (2pm), you can leave your bags safely until you arrive back again for check in. The 24/7 reception is a plus. The room was very small but it was only to take a shower, dry your hair and sleep because we always arrived back at the hotel arround 9-10pm. We had a room with a nice vieuw, I was only concerned about the street noise but I slept like a baby. In the morning you can take your time to wake up, drink a coffee or tea and go on your way again through the city. On the last day, checkout is until 11am but again, you can leave your bags there until departure. It is in a very nice neighbourhood and all what you need or want to see/do is in walking distance or just two stops with the bus or underground. One minor issue; there were no European plugs but we could buy a converter at the front desk for £5.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2017

This property is ideally located to all transport needs also has a high standard of cleaniness there was a few hitches that were rectified by management swiftly a possible mention on web site would be the metres square of bedroom to give advance warning for elderly or infirm as the bed is against the wall and at the foot of bed is a wall tv a wee bit annoying if you need bathroom during the night but overall a good hotel for the price you pay

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

There is a lot going for this hotel - welcoming staff, location and price. It’s a 3 minute walk from Gloucester Road tube station so is handy for all the usual tourist hotspots.

There is one downside though - the bedrooms are tiny. Not compact, or small......tiny. It is impossible for two adults to actually habit a room and move around as the bed is against the wall so you are constantly in each other’s way.

If that’s your thing then fine but if you’re above 12 stone then forget it if you’re intending sharing!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

Decent quality family room for 4. Small but comfortable. Great shower. Will visit again. Ideal for museums and sight seeing. Staff friendly and helpful. Reception bar and fish tank!! Take your own decaf drinks and biccies.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

The location is perfect - just 2 mins away from the tube. Bus station is in front. It's clean and you have everything you need if you stay for 3-4 days. But!!!!! Rooms are extremely small. Never ever been in such small room in my life. Not even you can call it room its more like a corridor. Same thing in the bathroom - it's a joke. Sometimes I feel I can't breath inside. Stuff are not very friendly but for few days it's OK. Don't wait something special for the breakfast - you won't get it

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

A fabulous hidden gem in a great, central, convenient location!
Booked to stay with two family members as a weekend away. Booked a quad room for the 3 of us after reading reviews that the rooms could be small.....we were all pleasantly surprised! The hotel surpassed our expectations!
A great location, spotlessly clean, large room with three beds (2xdouble and 1x single) and super quiet for such a central location.
The beds were very comfy with the room providing everything we could ask for ;tea/coffee making facilities, plenty of towels, hairdryer, plenty of wardrobe hanging space and then very helpful staff too.
Continental breakfast could be paid for for £7.50 each and there is a secure room to leave bags if you are staying on to explore after checkout.
All in all, a great find and we will return!
Nearest tube stations are Gloucester rd and South Kensington, both catering well for other routes such as Paddington.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family