“Accommodations were adequate, the accommodating was deficient”

Lancaster Gate Hotel
Ranked #440 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 November 2017

Convenient location, with Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens very close. A comfortable walk from Paddington station (where the Heathrow Express train arrives in London), assuming not too much luggage. Subways, buses and eateries within easy walking distance. Hotel itself is a linear collection of buildings, so some rooms can be a long walk from the front of the hotel, including some stairways where a ramp would have been helpful for transporting (wheeled) luggage. Courtesy (for which the British people are usually known) was often missing, possibly because all of the staff that we encountered did not appear to be British - some had learned good manners and good customer service, but several were coarse and snippy. It isn't easy to accommodate the wishes of so many guests, it's true, but then one's customer service reputation suffers. Some issues: there is a test of the fire alarm system on Fridays at 2:00 in the afternoon, which is just when I happened to be napping - not only did it disturb my nap (not all that serious) but it scared the heck out of me as I did not know whether I needed to dress and flee. Typical of the service was the response of the person at the front desk to whom I suggested that it might be considerate to tell people (who were scheduled to be guests at that time) in advance about this alarm test: he never apologized or expressed any empathy, but hid behind his disclaimer that there was a posted notice about this test in the lift. After I told him that that was fine for those who used the lift, but that my room did not call for me to ever enter the lift, he could still not find it in his brain to offer an apology or even "we'll look into it" - he felt that the hotel had no further responsibilities. One night, I arrived back at the hotel at 4:30 am, and two staff members (whom I had never seen at the front desk before) were on duty. It was disturbing to me that the front door was unlocked, and even more disturbing that neither of the people on duty addressed me to verify that I was a guest at the hotel or where I was going. They simply looked at me and allowed me to proceed into the hotel without a word - not very reassuring. Breakfast was very good and housekeepers did a fine job. The rooms were adequate, though the bathrooms were too small, with relatively low ceilings.

Room Tip: Rooms # 104-116(& presumably similarly numbered rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors) have larger win...
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,223)

Reviewed 10 November 2017

Location is far from Underground, 4 blocks from Central Line which is super crowded in the morning. Not many businesses/restaurants nearby, more of a neighborhood feel, and good if you want to jog in Hyde Park. Reservation staff was hard to deal with....tried to make changes but totally inflexible even with my logical reasons. was put in a family room with 3 beds as a single which was a little strange. Rooms are clean, carpet is relatively new. Breakfast was good,. Beds are comfortable, linens are worn. Streets are quit at night. No bottles of water in the room - unacceptable. Would I stay here again? No.

Room Tip: If you're one person ask not to be put in a family room.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2017

We stayed in the Lancaster Gate Hotel in September and loved the location and the hotel itself! We loved that we were directly across the street from Hyde Park! We enjoyed walking along the Princess Diana Tribute Trail in the park. The hotel staff were very helpful and we really liked that our room came with a 'Handy' phone that we were able to take with us on our day trips and use for directions or even call home at no expense! Excellent service and the rooms are really nice! Love the heated bathroom floors!

Stayed: September 2017
1  Thank YancyFamily
Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

Amazing staff and very helpful! Breakfast is also good!
Location is 5min walk to Queensway/Central Line. 15min walk to Paddington station/ Heathrow Express!!!
I will definitely stay in this hotel in my next trip to London!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2017

It is a no frills type of place, tired in places with small rooms and lacking in some comforts, however on the plus side, it was clean, in a good location for most of the sights, has a quiet disposition ( just a block from the main road), and has very friendly and efficient staff that as I always say, makes or breaks any operation!.

On booking I requested a quiet room, and was allocated one, and for once had a peaceful night away from the sounds of emergency service sirens and the constant London road noise!.
My toilet was not working and within 6 minutes of informing the receptionist, I had a member of staff and maintenance at my door, where the issue was immediately resolved.
I requested an iron and ironing board and once again within 10 minutes I received both, with a smile.
Finding a location to erect the Ironing board was my biggest challenge, and as I said the rooms are small, but then again its London and sadly it is to be expected.
The reception was efficient and friendly for both check in and my early morning check out.
The bar staff were also friendly and chatty, which is always a bonus, however where it did lack was the seating and lighting arrangement within the bar area for a quiet drink.

To summarise I would have no issues in returning.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank AlanCoxon
Reviewed 5 November 2017

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights. 2 on arrival in the UK and 2 on departure. We originally chose it as it is within 10 minutes walk to Paddington tube and overground rail and we were travelling to the West Country from Paddington. The hotel is situated in a very leafy suburb and is a very elegant building. The rooms are comfortable, albeit typically small but not claustrophobically so, and the staff were very efficient. The breakfast buffet kept us going all day and the bar was relatively cheap to drink at, considering it is the heart of London. All in all a lovely place to put your head down after sampling the delights of this marvellous city.

Room Tip: Squeaky stairs near the rooms that end in number 07
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

We found the hotel to be very clean and the staff helpful. It is across from Hyde and Kensington parks. We enjoyed the buffet and the restaurant for dinner. Great location. Close to the metro, small shops and restaurants. I would stay here again for sure.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple