“Elegant hotel near Paddington and Hyde Park”

Lancaster Gate Hotel
Ranked #438 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 November 2017

This quaint but elegant hotel is tucked on a quiet road one block in from Hyde Park's northern perimeter, about a 15 minute walk from Paddington Station. The lobby is comfortable and inviting, staff are helpful, and the rooms nicely furnished. Bathrooms include wonderful bathtubs for a steaming bath, and towel warmers. Guests have access to a local fitness center, and there are ample walking/ running opportunities in Hyde Park. Only thing that could use improvement is the offering for breakfast - fake scrambled eggs and canned fruit salad don't match the elegance of the hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a 1st floor room with balcony/terrace
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,222)

Reviewed 26 November 2017

Stayed on a Saturday night for one night. Room on 6th floor, fairly compac5 as you might expect. Clean but tired my biggest issue was with the poor quality mattresses, you could feel the springs through them. When I complained we were offered another room but mattress was no better. I then asked for a mattress topper which they promptly fitted, this helped with not feeling the springs but I woke up with backache in my low back as simply was not supportive enough. They need to invest in some better quality mattresses, you can forgive other things if you sleep well.
Had paid for inclusive breakfast, was OK, nothing special. plastic bread, cheese and ham. Tinned fruit. Come on,
you can do better than that!,
Would not choose to return.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank W4874GCcarol
Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

Great hotel and very centrally located near to oxford street. Walking distance to most of the shops. Stayed here every month prior to the refurbishments and found the hotel staff fantastic. Great customer service representatives. Would have continued to visit for business but they chose to increase their prices by a HUGE amount. There are many other quality hotels and I didn't feel as though the elevated prices were worth it. That being said I can't really fault anything else

Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

We've stayed here multiple times and have always enjoyed the hotel's ideal location near Hyde Park and convenience to tube stations. On this particular trip, we were awakened out of a sound sleep by a fire alarm on Tuesday at 3:30am. I would be remiss not to make a suggestion to management to conduct an immediate fire emergency training with all staff. Firstly, guests did not know whether or not to leave their rooms or go outside. In the lobby, the front desk staff seemed equally perplexed about what to do. There was one gentleman who was asking guests to write down their room numbers, but, otherwise, there was no order, no one directing guests outside and no one giving explanations. We stayed outside about 15-20 mins while a fire engine came, and, eventually, we all decided to enter and return to our rooms when the alarm stopped. Again, there was no direction from the staff to tell us to come back inside or to let us know what happened. We had to ask the front desk manager the second day what had happened and only received a vague response that maybe someone had drunkenly pulled the alarm. This incident would give me pause before I stayed here again. Staff needs to be trained for emergencies and trained to calmly take care of guests. I would worry about how they'd handle a real fire.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank eirewegoagain
Linda M, Guest Relations Manager at Lancaster Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2017

Thank you for reviewing the Lancaster Gate Hotel after your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to read that you have stayed with us multiple times before and that you have always enjoyed the hotel’s ideal location.

We were sorry to read that your sleep was disturbed by the fire alarm.

The alarm was set off by one of the guests, we believe accidentally. I would like to assure you that the night team followed their training and ensured the matter was dealt with safely and as quickly as possible. In the unlikely event of the fire alarm being activated, the building needs to be fully evacuated until the cause of the fire alarm is investigated and resolved. Ensuring the building is evacuated is the first priority for our staff and once the fire brigade had informed us that the building was safe to re-enter, the alarm was stopped and the message was then passed on to our guests.

The safety of our guests is of upmost important to us and as such we take all health and safety matters extremely seriously. Staff training is undertaken continuously throughout the year and I apologise that you were inconvenienced.

Please accept our apologies for any shortcomings experienced, and we sincerely hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back the Lancaster Gate Hotel on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 22 November 2017

Stayed here for two nights - check in staff ok but not friendly.

Was given a double room, asked for non-smoking (Hint to hotel non smoking isn't simply removing the ash tray), after a return to the reception I was given a non-smoking room.

The room itself wasn't warm and the air conditioning had little effect unless you stood directly under the outlet.

Room service for dinner was interesting as was late in and missed hot food - prepacked sandwiches with 100's on nachos! Defo not worth the cost.

Over all I did not enjoy this stay - two many small issues made it poor!!

Reviewed 20 November 2017

Convenient location, with Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens very close. A comfortable walk from Paddington station (where the Heathrow Express train arrives in London), assuming not too much luggage. Subways, buses and eateries within easy walking distance. Hotel itself is a linear collection of buildings, so some rooms can be a long walk from the front of the hotel, including some stairways where a ramp would have been helpful for transporting (wheeled) luggage. Courtesy (for which the British people are usually known) was often missing, possibly because all of the staff that we encountered did not appear to be British - some had learned good manners and good customer service, but several were coarse and snippy. It isn't easy to accommodate the wishes of so many guests, it's true, but then one's customer service reputation suffers. Some issues: there is a test of the fire alarm system on Fridays at 2:00 in the afternoon, which is just when I happened to be napping - not only did it disturb my nap (not all that serious) but it scared the heck out of me as I did not know whether I needed to dress and flee. Typical of the service was the response of the person at the front desk to whom I suggested that it might be considerate to tell people (who were scheduled to be guests at that time) in advance about this alarm test: he never apologized or expressed any empathy, but hid behind his disclaimer that there was a posted notice about this test in the lift. After I told him that that was fine for those who used the lift, but that my room did not call for me to ever enter the lift, he could still not find it in his brain to offer an apology or even "we'll look into it" - he felt that the hotel had no further responsibilities. One night, I arrived back at the hotel at 4:30 am, and two staff members (whom I had never seen at the front desk before) were on duty. It was disturbing to me that the front door was unlocked, and even more disturbing that neither of the people on duty addressed me to verify that I was a guest at the hotel or where I was going. They simply looked at me and allowed me to proceed into the hotel without a word - not very reassuring. Breakfast was very good and housekeepers did a fine job. The rooms were adequate, though the bathrooms were too small, with relatively low ceilings.

Room Tip: Rooms # 104-116(& presumably similarly numbered rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors) have larger win...
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2017

Location is far from Underground, 4 blocks from Central Line which is super crowded in the morning. Not many businesses/restaurants nearby, more of a neighborhood feel, and good if you want to jog in Hyde Park. Reservation staff was hard to deal with....tried to make changes but totally inflexible even with my logical reasons. was put in a family room with 3 beds as a single which was a little strange. Rooms are clean, carpet is relatively new. Breakfast was good,. Beds are comfortable, linens are worn. Streets are quit at night. No bottles of water in the room - unacceptable. Would I stay here again? No.

Room Tip: If you're one person ask not to be put in a family room.