“Good bargain in London”

Ranked #477 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Madrid, Spain
“Good bargain in London”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I like this hotel, even though my experience was less than perfect. For the price, it is a good deal. Rooms are modern and clean, Internet connectivity is great (though not free). Location is excellent as it is right next to Paddington, which allows easy access to the Heathrow Express.

My experience wasn't great as the hotel's fire alarm went off in the middle of the night and later that night the alarm clock in my room went off (must have been set by the previous guest). However, I complained to the night guard and the hotel's manager actually returned my call the next day to my US number, apologized and offered compensation (free dinner in a restaurant next to the hotel). I rejected the offer as I already had plans, but appreciate the willingness to compensate a client and commend the hotel manager for taking responsibility in this manner.

My only issue with the rooms is that they are small, but you can't have everything for this price so all in all I can really recommend this hotel

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Dear Sir,
Many thanks for your recent review on our hotel. Without such feedback we would not be able to constantly improve both our hotel and service provided. You were unable to accept my offer of dinner on your last visit. But should you stay with us again in the future my offer will still be available..
We do hope to see you again soon and you will be able to take up the offer of dinner.
Malcolm Linforth-Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

The room was very small. There wasn't much space to put my luggage and shopping bags. The desk was a bit pointless as I wasn't there to work, would of been nice to have a dressing table. There was no plug by the mirror and the tv wasn't working. But on the plus side the bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. The location was excellent (just opposite paddington train station) as we were travelling by train.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your review on our hotel. we were pleased you found your bed comfy and you slept well. We do have a number of larger rooms available at the hotel and should you visit again can I recommend you try one of our king bedded room which are very spacious.
We do hope to see you again when visiting London.
Los Gatos, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

The best thing about this hotel is that it's clean and very convenient to Paddington for the Heathrow express and underground. The rooms are quite small, but efficient. I had problems that took some sorting out. I had a shower hose that was split and difficult to shower. After reporting it, was told it would be fixed which wasn't and had to change rooms on the second day. Also the hotel is noisy with street noise and people checking in at all hours slamming doors.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review and we are pleased you found our hotel clean and convenient for your needs in London. Accept our apology regarding the broken shower hose. We were surprised you could hear any outside noise as all our windows are soundproof to ensure our guests enjoy a good nights sleep.
We do hope to see you again when visiting London.
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

A very small hotel in an excellent position just outside Paddington Station. Nicely decorated and clean, rooms are a bit small and literally there is no room to swing a cat round. However, the fitted bedroom furniture made the most of the limited space and it worked quite well. Breakfast was taken at Garfunkels next door by voucher and entrance was by way of a private door from the hotel. There is no restaurant within the hotel but the surrounding area is alive with places to eat. I have to say that staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful and the location was perfect for my business needs. However, the cost versus the lack of faciliities makes this hotel not quite so good value for money. I paid around £140 for the night through the company booking agent which I thought was a bit steep for such a small place. Overall though, I quite liked this little hotel but I am sure I could find somewhere cheaper with more facilities if I was travelling privately.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your recent review on our hotel and we are pleased that our location was excellent and our hotel was clean and nicely decorated. We do have some smaller rooms at the hotel due to it being over 100 years old. Should you book again with us I would like to recommend you try one of our king bedded rooms which are much larger.
We hope to see you again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I did not stay there but my daughter was in London she had lost her jacket cards every thing got separate from her friends and did not know were she was went inside hotel to ask for help. And what happen next is what i would call a first class service Alex notice she was so stressed and did not now left from right that he walked her all the way to her hotel in bayswater. then after his kindness he called the hotel to make sure she was fine. i would like to thank mercure and the staff they have i know were i would be staying when i come to London. so again thank you alex for being so kind to my little girl

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Guests mother,
It was our staff’s pleasure to assist your daughter in her hour of need. We are here to help all travellers in London and understand it can be a daunting city if not know. I have passed on your kind words to all of our staff involved and especially Alex. Who passes on his thanks.
We hope that should you or your daughter visit London soon you will stay with us as you are always welcome.
Higashikagura-cho, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I recently stayed with a friend for 2 nights. I do recommend booking an executive room as it will give you that extra space to make your stay more comfortable.

The room was spotlessly clean and a good supply of tea and biscuits as well as bottled water each day.

Carolina on the front desk was especially nice and made us feel very welcome indeed. Upon checkout she wished me a pleasant trip back to Japan (where I live).

As others have noted the location is really convenient as it is right next to Paddington station and so easy access to both the London Underground and National Rail. Plenty of shops, cafes, pubs etc within walking distance from the hotel.

It is my second time to stay here and I will certainly stay again the next time I am in London.

Room Tip: Pay extra for an executive room to give you that extra bit of space as the regular rooms are pretty...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guests,
We are pleased to read your second visit to our hotel was as good as the first and you found the hotel spotlessly clean and everything you needed.
I will pass on your kind words to Carolina our receptionist.
We do look forward to welcoming you back soon for your third stay.
Bucuresti, Bucuresti, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Hotel: small rooms but very confortable, employees always at your service, services fast and convenient.
To mention Carolina and Alex - extremlly helpfull and kind!! 5 stars employees!
location: close to transport or connections to all turistic points in London.

Room Tip: mention at the reception if you want / need something in particular and they will help!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guests,
Many thanks for your kind review on our hotel and we were please our staff were 5 stars.
We pride ourselves on our service and thank you again for these comments.
We do look forward to welcoming you back soon.