“Spent 3 nights here while my husband attended a conference”

Royal Lancaster London
Ranked #175 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Excellent location, less than 5 mims walk from tube.
Room was clean, well appointed, comfy bed with great views.
Breakfast was great, staff very friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have good views, but depending on how busy the hotel is there can be queues f...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,650)

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Following a less than fabulous stay in the autumn at the Lancaster - thrilled at having a totally different experience.

Just had a brilliant weekend at this well-located hotel with stunning, stunning views. Thanks to both Marcella and Desiree for going the extra mile and addressing my concerns. We all know 'mistakes' can be made and the measurement of an organisation is really based on how they respond. Delighted to report the Lancaster lives up to its promise of putting their customer first. Great weekend and happy to recommend to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SUSIE A
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The good part:
- Hotel close to tube
- It looks good from the outside
- It does look great inside
- The room is great, as you would expect from a good 4* hotel

Did not like so much:
- I stayed in room 519. I had difficulties with getting anything else besides rather hot water in the bathroom in the first evening. In the morning I went to shower. The water was too hot for me initially, then I managed to get the right temperature for me and then it went by itself more hot (which was too much for me), some 2 min later it was back to normal again. Not the best for a 4* hotel.
- I like to listen to radio. Damn it takes a while to get to the radio station I wanted to listen to. Definitely several minutes.
- Pillows were too high for me. All 3 nights I started to sleep on a pillow, woke up during the night time (too high pillow), removed the pillow, then woke up again (it was as bad without the pillow as it was with the pillow) and tried to fall asleep again. The first hotel in my life where I felt like this.
- Breakfast: consists of 2 parts: breakfast that can be ordered by selecting some of the choices. A lot of choices really, sound very tasty, but why almost all of them with eggs? Not suitable for me as I am a vegetarian. Ok, I took a buffet breakfast. It's fine, a bit wider choice would be beneficial. Again possible to order (mostly for free) some options. I don't eat sushi, I don't eat eggs - not much options left again. The chef is a fan of eggs or what?
- I needed to leave a package and someone else would come and pick it up during the day. I went to reception and asked if it's possible to leave it with a name of person on it, for whom it was meant. The reception asked for my room number and took the envelope. In the evening, while I was away from the hotel, the person comes to pick up the envelope. The reception sends them to concierge. He can not find the envelope. For some reason, the reception can not find the envelope. Then they contacted me and I confirmed that the envelope has to be there. They go to reception again and ask to find it. Then somehow they find it. Unnecessary unpleasant experience.

To sum up: the hotel looks good, the room looks good, the breakfast is great if you like eggs. I am kind of hoping that I am the only unhappy client. Though this has been my worst hotel experience so far when rating price-quality.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SaClaus
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Good attentive service, clean room, comfortable relaxing bar, central location

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We spent 6 nights here over Christmas 2011. Both inside and out the Lancaster London might easily pass for the sort of higher-end chain hotels in the U.S. (Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, etc) and what it lacks in local charm it more than makes up for in comfort. We paid a bit extra for a high floor room with a great view across Hyde Park and much of London. The room was spacious, nicely decorated, and very comfortable...palacious compared to our tiny room in Paris. We pre-ordered the daily buffet breakfast for a slight discount and were glad of it for the many food choices and good service. Also pre-booked our Christmas dinner as most London eateries are closed on the holiday. Not exactly a bargain, but good fare in a lovely setting. The Lancaster is on top of the Lancaster Gate tube station and buses (public transit alsoshuts down for the Christmas holiday, so plan accordingly) also stop just outside. We were blessed with moderate weather and walked most places, often through wintry Hyde Park where a Christmas carnival drew many local families.

Room Tip: For us, and for a special holiday treat, the extra charge for an upper floor room with the park and...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2012

The Lancaster London is our favourite hotel for service, quality, location and availability. We have been using the hotel for at least 10years as a family place to stay overnight in London and on business. We have also booked a series of very successful large sales and business conferences requiring in excess of 200 rooms for a week. All is handled very efficiently by the hotel and staff, nothing is too much trouble. The hotel has recently been updated and refurbished and is looking good in the public areas although some of the rooms are just showing signs of needing some TLC too. The restaurants are great, the Express menu in the island restaurant served our meal within an hour in time for the 6 of us to go to a show at the Royal Albert Hall, just across Hyde Park from the hotel.The view acreoss the Park, or the City, is fantastic at any time of the year and especially the winter in the morning sun and mist. the views from the Nipa and Island restaurants provide an excellent backdrop for any meal. If you are travelling into London, theatre or shopping etc, I would not use their courtesy cars unless you have a party of 5 or more. Taxis are very readily available in the road at the entrance to the hotel and are ok for price although for a bit more inconveience but less cost the tube network is right under the hotel and no you cannot hear it, even at night! I cannot wait to have another excuse to stay and sample their excellent breakfast buffet, for £15.50 each it kept us all going for the whole day. Our two young twenty year olds (and me) visited the buffet at least 4 or 5 times for repeat breakfasts!! I couldn't move; back to the gym Monday! I can honestly say I/we would recommend the hotel to anyone who asked with a 10/10 rating.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a Park view and Superior grade.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DominicBenoist
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We had a faultless nights stay whilst attending the International Dancing Teachers Ball last week. A pleasant cocktail in the bar followed by great catering at the vent itself. The view from our room over London was wonderful and the staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. Altogether a heartening experience

Room Tip: Better views from higher up (but also more expensive - £20 to upgrade)
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple