“Fantastic, British hospitality and walking distance to major attractions!”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #75 of 1,068 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
McLean, Virginia
“Fantastic, British hospitality and walking distance to major attractions!”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Unbelievably helpful and friendly staff that go overboard to make you feel at home. Fantastic upscale British cocktail lounge where you can enjoy drinks before dinner in the posh Library restaurant downstairs. Across the street from Buckingham! Very child-friendly!!

Room Tip: Suites have themes like the African Queen Suite. You can request a room facing the Royal Mews to se...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (879)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Linkebeek, Belgium
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stayed here for one night on a visit to the theatre. The hotel is well located in central London although a cab is required for shopping; unlike the Chesterfield Mayfair. The rooms are clean and well furnished, although on the small size, and the WiFi was free. As one would expect from a Red Carnation hotel, the service was impeccable. Candles around the bath and chocolates on the bed make this place very special.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank CatandDogBrussels
Seaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We arrived at The Rubens at 11am, not expecting our room to be ready, and were amazed that we could go to the room. This was the start of a lovely experience, mainly because all, and I mean all, the staff are so unbelievably friendly and helpful. You can have a lovely hotel but if the staff are miserable, it's just not enjoyable. Unfortunately, we could only stay one night but we made the most of it! We had lunch in the bar - very nice. We ate in The Old Library restaurant downstairs and the food is top class - very romantic and laid-back atmosphere too.
Breakfast had everything you could possible want and would expect from a great hotel, eggs cooked to order, fresh fruit, etc. Also plenty of room to sit. So many London hotels don't have big enough breakfast rooms and the queues can be horrendous. Also the Rubens' breakfast dining room is lovely, chandeliers and carpeted.
Our bedroom was in the Royal Suite. It was lovely with a spacious bathroom, overlooking the Royal Mews at the front of the hotel. We didn't hear a thing all night, the mattress was really comfortable (my husband has back problems too) and it couldn't be faulted.
The interior of the hotel couldn't be faulted. It has been updated in keeping with the age of the building which is what you would expect. We love older, quirky hotels - it's always much more fun than stark, new or chain hotels.
I would definitely recommend The Rubens at The Palace. Great hotel, great location and great service. We will be returning.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Helen P
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I have stayed at the Rubens before, I enjoy the Carnation Hotels for their English vibe and decor.
My recent experience was very nice and the Polish Concierge who I nick named " Boggs " was a delight. He couldn't stop hugging my mother every time he saw her! Hotel staff is very good, attentive and helpful. Our room was nice but the mattresses were not great. I guess I am spoiled with my Temperpedic mattress at home. Breakfast was wonderful in a nice setting, only meal we ate at the hotel. Free WiFi is always a plus and the location across from Buckingham Palace is excellent. Victoria station is like a 10 minute walk with access to everything.
Joana, the Guest Services Manager greeted me and my family warmly. We enjoyed a beautiful bottle of wine that was sent for the special occasion we were celebrating. Thank you again Joana that Pinot Noir was to die for ! Everyone at the Ruben,s made our stay extra special.
Consider this hotel without hesitation, Thank you
MariaFSaenz

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I went here in May 2011 for my birthday the location is amazing andthe hotel was just great I was greeted with a birthday card and In the room were candals chocolate strawberries and coins and flower petals for the bath.

Room Tip: I stayed in a front facing room traffic was quiet and it was sunny in the mornings
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I have stayed at The Ruben’s three times now and have had a great experience each time. The rooms are clean, well decorated, full en suite bathroom, and have all the amenities one needs. The WiFi is free and easy to access. It is across from The Palace, The Mews, and around the corner from the Victoria Station so access to everything is right at your finger tips. The staff is VERY helpful with luggage, cabs and advice. I would stay there again and have recommended it to others. Great boutique hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Reviewed 2 April 2012

As a single female traveller, I was delighted with the safety and convenience offered by the Rubens. Jo, the guest services manager, greeted me and sent my bag to the room during check-in, after which she accompanied me to the room to make sure all was satisfactory. I had been prepared for a much smaller room, so I was very pleasantly surprised at the openness of the bedroom, as well as the size (and counter space!) of the bathroom. While I was sightseeing that afternoon, a fruit basket was delivered to my room, along with a handwritten note from the hotel manager. Great first impressions!

I stayed for a total of 8 nights, during which time the room was always cleaned to perfection, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and the food was delicious through the restaurant as well as via room service. I was surprised more than once when a staff member greeted me by name, although maybe I should have expected it considering the high level of excellence in everything else. The staff was equally pleasant to my relatives who came a few times to pick me up for the day.

During an unseasonably warm March, the ease of the thermostat and the quick response of the air conditioning was very welcome, as was the comfort of the beds and pillows. The proximity to Victoria Station, Buckingham Palace, the Royal Mews, and Green Park makes this hotel a fantastic option. Everything is within a few minutes' ride on the underground, or a short but lovely walk. When I return to London in the future, the Rubens will always be my hotel of choice.

Room Tip: The hall floors are a bit creaky, so further from the lift offers a quieter atmosphere.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo