“Wonderful place to stay in London!!”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #80 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Montgomery
“Wonderful place to stay in London!!”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Very nice, clean, wonderful European hotel! The staff was very attentive, and eager to help. The accomodations were more than adequate. So many great amenities too! Very centrally located, we were able to walk to most sights. I would definately stay here, my next trip to London!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Joni S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sittingbourne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Stayed here for my Girllfriends birthday. Fabulous, worth every penny, service terrific, room excellent and one of the best breakfast I've ever had. Worth every penny. Class.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Oakland, California
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I've just returned from a trip that started in London and ended in Paris with my mother and son. While in London we had the pleasure of staying at Ruben's. The staff was kind and friendly and easily gave us the best service. They remembered our names, greeted us each and every time they saw us, asked how our day was...... We were there over Easter Sunday and would miss the Easter egg hunt planned for all the kids in the hotel. Easter morning my son found a huge chocolate Easter egg, chocolate bars and a bag of mini chocolate eggs hanging on our room door! I thought that was so kind. They were even pleasant when my mother set off the fire alarm because of her straighter! My son wants to return to London mostly because of how we were treated at this hotel. Let me also mention that we ate breakfast there everyday and we had dinner in their fine dining restaurant. The food was great. Our room was finely decorated, clean and well presented. We thought it was lovely. We can't wait to return to London and stay at this hotel!

2 Thank kwm50
Massillon, Ohio
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Only one word can describe my stay at The Rubens at the Palace ... "Amazing!"

For months leading up to the trip, I spent hours online searching for the perfect hotel for my stay in London. Finally, I found The Rubens and booked it for its location, uniqueness of rooms, breakfast, and other reviews on Trip Advisor. Nonetheless, I had very high expectations for this hotel. Although, I planned this trip for months, I only booked the hotel 10 days in advanced booking the "Get More Out of Your Stay" package, which includes breakfast and your choice of one of three additional options (I chose to have a complimentary dinner at The Butler's Restaurant in the hotel - Our experience at The Butler's Restaurant was good, but it was not our favorite meal during or time in London).

My mother and I arrived at the hotel at 10am; however, our room was not ready, but the hotel did store our luggage for us allowing us to explore London. When we came back to the hotel later in the day we checked in to our room, a Superior Twin room. The room was very clean and surprisingly spacious. I did not pay for a "Royal Mews view," but our room was over looking a side street (which is better than a courtyard). We were hardly ever in the room, so not having a view was not a problem, and the Royal Mews during our 8 night stay was covered in scaffolding.

When we enter the room, we found a nice selection of fruit to the desk welcoming us to the hotel. We soon found out that receiving "gifts" in our room was not usual. During our stay we not only received a fruit basket, but also a "Birthday Cake" for my mother one day, fudge brownies on the next day, and on Easter we received Cadbury chocolate eggs. These we nice touches. The beds were every comfortable. The bathroom was large, and the shower had excellent water pressure.

The breakfast each morning was probably the best breakfast I have had at any hotel. Yes, I will admit, it is a bit pricey but worth every penny - even if you are not a "big breakfast eater." Each morning you are seated at the table, were a waiter brings you your choice of coffee/tea, juice, and toast. The breakfast selection ranges from breads, fruits, eggs (poached, fried, scrambled), mushrooms, sausage, bacon, etc., etc. Everything tasted excellent.

The location of the hotel was excellent and perfect for what we were looking to do. The Victoria Station (both Underground and Bus) is just a few minutes walk for the hotel. Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, St. James's Park, Houses of Parliament, etc. are all within a 3-10 minute walk.

The staff of the hotel were all very helpful and knowledge (the Concierge and Doorman). Everyone made us feel welcome, not just when we first arrived, but every night.

Both my mother and I enjoyed this hotel very much, and can not think of staying anywhere else when we return to London. This hotel made our trip to London so much for "amazing."

2 Thank TravelerAE
Calgary
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed in a very nice suite at the Rubens for about 10 days in March of 2012. The room was great and the restaurants were also excellent. I was on business so I didn't get to do much sight-seeing, but the hotel is perfectly located for it. Everything seems to be just a short walk away! The staff is excellent: genuinely friendly, courteous and helpful. On the day of my departure, the concierge really helped me out in a big way. I realized when I got to the airport that my passport and car keys were still in the room safe. I called the hotel and within 5 minutes everything I had left behind was in a taxi on its way to the airport. They followed up with the taxi driver and with me to make sure everything worked out, and it did (just barely!). Thank-you, thank-you!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Brian K
Warwick
Reviewed 13 April 2012

From the moment we walked through the door (greeted by the doorman!) we were made to feel most welcome!

Our room was just perfect, clean, comfortable and welcoming, with superb decor and mood lighting and a sumptuous bed!

This was my birthday surprise, and I was certainly not disappointed, which included tickets to the musical Wicked at the nearby Apollo Victoria Theatre (most excellent musical, highly recommended, Elphaba was amazing) as part of the hotels Wicked package. Their Wicked themed 'turndown' service was the icing on the cake and included floating candles, Wicked cup cakes, chocolates and an autographed photograph of the two Witches - lovely end to an already perfect evening.

We also had a visit from the Easter Bunny (who we also met in person later on in reception!) the next morning, with Easter Eggs by our door!

During our stay we also enjoyed a perfectly chilled glass of champagne on arrival, an excellent three course evening meal and a spoilt for choice buffet breakfast.

Wickedly enthusiastic, excellent, friendly, professional and most helpful staff throughout!

Being just minutes from Buckingham Palace was a bonus, and we also managed to see the Changing of the Guard.

The hotel also advised us on an Open Top Bus Tour, and organised our tickets, plus we were able to leave our bags safely, while we went exploring.

We had a superb time, and would definetaly consider staying here again when we plan our next visit to London.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane P
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We love this place. My family of two adults and one 12 year old stayed here in April 2012 and had a wonderful time. There are cute little shops right next door, including a little market where you can get anything from tobacco to a soda to razors. And the tea store, two doors down is not to be missed, so quaint. The staff is wonderful, my daughter fell in love with the doorman, he was so nice to all of us, always there with a smile, warm greeting and advice on where to go and best way to get there. We have stayed here before and would stay here ANY time we are in London. And the location is great, if you are lucky, you can hear the clip clop, clip clop of The Queens horses and see them go by. We were also surprised to watch the Queen go right past us in her motorcade, as she lives, right accross the street. he he. Love this place! Oh and the beds are always so comfortable, always get a good night's sleep here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of The Queens Mews (her stables, very cool to watch the horses go by, ver...