“Really good overall package”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #83 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chester, United Kingdom
“Really good overall package”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012 via mobile

I stayed here one night on business. Overall it was a top experience. The staff were first class, the room excellent (clean, well maintained and well appointed) whilst the food was good. I booked it one the day of arrrival at £160+vat which I felt was well worth it. I did have an issue with the tv which needed to be reset, but this was done promptly by their maintenance guy.

Will be back!

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank CheshireLady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

The service of the staff at the Rubens is one of the best that I have seen in Europe. Everyone, not only the ones at the reception, but also everyone else working on the floor, had shown the enthusiasm to help us with any questions we had. When we were asking questions about things like local tour, transportation, etc., other staff would also jump in and give their opinions. You can feel that they are trying their best to help and that they have a great teamwork.

Location is another excellent thing about the Rubens. It is 10 mins walk from the Buckingham Palace and only 5 mins walk from the tube. The neighbourhood was quiet but also with a lot of restaurant choices.

I have not tried their restaurants but I could see that they have a lot of choices on the room service menu.

We had stayed in the King Room, and it's really spacious. Although it's located on the first floor and the view was blocked, but I would still recommend it.

Lastly, I just want to compliment the staff at the Rubens for being so helpful, friendly, as well as flexible in our requests. I will definitely stay with them again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Unun218
Menerbes, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

My friend was visiting from the U.S. and this was her very first visit to England and to London as well so it was a very special trip. Plus the fact that she was also celebrating her 70th birthday, and so I definitely wanted her trip to London to be memorable. I contacted The Rubens before arriving at the hotel, unbeknown to my friend, and I could not believe the response I received or the welcome we received on our arrival. Our room had been upgraded, and there was a knock on our door early in the evening on the day of our arrival, and we were presented with a birthday cake and card!!!! My friend was absolutely speechless that the hotel would do this, and I can assure you that we were both surprised at this wonderful gesture..........!! We had breakfast every morning which was just wonderful, with a great selection and again the service was perfect. We also ate in The Carvery one evening which was also very good. We spent each evening in the lounge for an after dinner drink and the staff were always so attentive. Thank you so much for such a wonderful experience and such great memories for my friend to remember.

Room Tip: Wonderful location and great atmosphere.....
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank midatlantic2001
Montgomery
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Very nice, clean, wonderful European hotel! The staff was very attentive, and eager to help. The accomodations were more than adequate. So many great amenities too! Very centrally located, we were able to walk to most sights. I would definately stay here, my next trip to London!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Joni S
Sittingbourne, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Stayed here for my Girllfriends birthday. Fabulous, worth every penny, service terrific, room excellent and one of the best breakfast I've ever had. Worth every penny. Class.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I've just returned from a trip that started in London and ended in Paris with my mother and son. While in London we had the pleasure of staying at Ruben's. The staff was kind and friendly and easily gave us the best service. They remembered our names, greeted us each and every time they saw us, asked how our day was...... We were there over Easter Sunday and would miss the Easter egg hunt planned for all the kids in the hotel. Easter morning my son found a huge chocolate Easter egg, chocolate bars and a bag of mini chocolate eggs hanging on our room door! I thought that was so kind. They were even pleasant when my mother set off the fire alarm because of her straighter! My son wants to return to London mostly because of how we were treated at this hotel. Let me also mention that we ate breakfast there everyday and we had dinner in their fine dining restaurant. The food was great. Our room was finely decorated, clean and well presented. We thought it was lovely. We can't wait to return to London and stay at this hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank kwm50
Massillon, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Only one word can describe my stay at The Rubens at the Palace ... "Amazing!"

For months leading up to the trip, I spent hours online searching for the perfect hotel for my stay in London. Finally, I found The Rubens and booked it for its location, uniqueness of rooms, breakfast, and other reviews on Trip Advisor. Nonetheless, I had very high expectations for this hotel. Although, I planned this trip for months, I only booked the hotel 10 days in advanced booking the "Get More Out of Your Stay" package, which includes breakfast and your choice of one of three additional options (I chose to have a complimentary dinner at The Butler's Restaurant in the hotel - Our experience at The Butler's Restaurant was good, but it was not our favorite meal during or time in London).

My mother and I arrived at the hotel at 10am; however, our room was not ready, but the hotel did store our luggage for us allowing us to explore London. When we came back to the hotel later in the day we checked in to our room, a Superior Twin room. The room was very clean and surprisingly spacious. I did not pay for a "Royal Mews view," but our room was over looking a side street (which is better than a courtyard). We were hardly ever in the room, so not having a view was not a problem, and the Royal Mews during our 8 night stay was covered in scaffolding.

When we enter the room, we found a nice selection of fruit to the desk welcoming us to the hotel. We soon found out that receiving "gifts" in our room was not usual. During our stay we not only received a fruit basket, but also a "Birthday Cake" for my mother one day, fudge brownies on the next day, and on Easter we received Cadbury chocolate eggs. These we nice touches. The beds were every comfortable. The bathroom was large, and the shower had excellent water pressure.

The breakfast each morning was probably the best breakfast I have had at any hotel. Yes, I will admit, it is a bit pricey but worth every penny - even if you are not a "big breakfast eater." Each morning you are seated at the table, were a waiter brings you your choice of coffee/tea, juice, and toast. The breakfast selection ranges from breads, fruits, eggs (poached, fried, scrambled), mushrooms, sausage, bacon, etc., etc. Everything tasted excellent.

The location of the hotel was excellent and perfect for what we were looking to do. The Victoria Station (both Underground and Bus) is just a few minutes walk for the hotel. Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, St. James's Park, Houses of Parliament, etc. are all within a 3-10 minute walk.

The staff of the hotel were all very helpful and knowledge (the Concierge and Doorman). Everyone made us feel welcome, not just when we first arrived, but every night.

Both my mother and I enjoyed this hotel very much, and can not think of staying anywhere else when we return to London. This hotel made our trip to London so much for "amazing."

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family