“Very nice boutique hotel. Great location”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #73 of 1,068 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, TX
“Very nice boutique hotel. Great location”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here in May, 2011 for a three day vacation in London on the way to Paris. We found the hotel to be wonderful. We upgraded to a street view room and was overlooking the carriage entrance to Buckingham Palace. What fun.

The tour buses drive on Buckingham Palace Road where the Rubens is located, so we could be dropped off at the front door from our days' tours.

When we return to London we will definitely want to stay here again.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the street has a great view (and wasn't noisy)
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (884)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Washington, DC
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed six nights in the king's suite (or master suite) at the beginning of April and can't say enough good things about this hotel. We chose this hotel partly for the location but mostly because the king suite offered a two bed (one is the living room) and two bath space that we wanted with an eleven year old in tow. The decor here is traditional but very well done. Normally, we tend to stay in more modern hotels but this was a really nice example of traditional English style and very clean which is extremely important to us. The master bath here was enormous and even though it could use a refresh from a style standpoint, it was very nice (great water pressure and heat no matter what time of day). The canopy bed in the suite was amazing; you feel cocooned.

Although the room was nice, the staff here really made the stay, however. Everyone here is unfailingly friendly and really make an extra effort to help you with anything you need. The location was also excellent. Even though when you drive up it there is a lot of construction in the area toward Victoria Station, it isn't really a big deal as you couldn't hear a thing inside the rooms and taxis and the tube are right there. There is also a nice little shopping area right behind the hotel with a Wagamama, a coffee shop and a Nando's -- great for a casual lunch. Being right across the street from the Royal Mews was great for us with a horse-obsessed little girl. We even saw one of the royal carriages come down the street and into the mews one day which was a great experience. It does also manage to feel relatively quiet an intimate considering the number of rooms and the location. The other guests were a nice mix of couples and families, young and old, and people from all over the world so I feel like anyone would be comfortable here.

To be clear, though, this isn't a super luxury high end hotel (previously we stayed at the Soho Hotel which was amazing but to our minds not really for kids and much pricier for the amount of space we had) but it is at the top end of the hotels just a notch below. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: The Master Suite, on the second floor, is the largest room in the hotel and has views on two sides o...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank oscarfelix
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2012 via mobile

I stayed here one night on business. Overall it was a top experience. The staff were first class, the room excellent (clean, well maintained and well appointed) whilst the food was good. I booked it one the day of arrrival at £160+vat which I felt was well worth it. I did have an issue with the tv which needed to be reset, but this was done promptly by their maintenance guy.

Will be back!

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank CheshireLady
Hong Kong
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The service of the staff at the Rubens is one of the best that I have seen in Europe. Everyone, not only the ones at the reception, but also everyone else working on the floor, had shown the enthusiasm to help us with any questions we had. When we were asking questions about things like local tour, transportation, etc., other staff would also jump in and give their opinions. You can feel that they are trying their best to help and that they have a great teamwork.

Location is another excellent thing about the Rubens. It is 10 mins walk from the Buckingham Palace and only 5 mins walk from the tube. The neighbourhood was quiet but also with a lot of restaurant choices.

I have not tried their restaurants but I could see that they have a lot of choices on the room service menu.

We had stayed in the King Room, and it's really spacious. Although it's located on the first floor and the view was blocked, but I would still recommend it.

Lastly, I just want to compliment the staff at the Rubens for being so helpful, friendly, as well as flexible in our requests. I will definitely stay with them again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Unun218
Menerbes, France
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My friend was visiting from the U.S. and this was her very first visit to England and to London as well so it was a very special trip. Plus the fact that she was also celebrating her 70th birthday, and so I definitely wanted her trip to London to be memorable. I contacted The Rubens before arriving at the hotel, unbeknown to my friend, and I could not believe the response I received or the welcome we received on our arrival. Our room had been upgraded, and there was a knock on our door early in the evening on the day of our arrival, and we were presented with a birthday cake and card!!!! My friend was absolutely speechless that the hotel would do this, and I can assure you that we were both surprised at this wonderful gesture..........!! We had breakfast every morning which was just wonderful, with a great selection and again the service was perfect. We also ate in The Carvery one evening which was also very good. We spent each evening in the lounge for an after dinner drink and the staff were always so attentive. Thank you so much for such a wonderful experience and such great memories for my friend to remember.

Room Tip: Wonderful location and great atmosphere.....
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank midatlantic2001
Montgomery
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Very nice, clean, wonderful European hotel! The staff was very attentive, and eager to help. The accomodations were more than adequate. So many great amenities too! Very centrally located, we were able to walk to most sights. I would definately stay here, my next trip to London!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Joni S
Sittingbourne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Stayed here for my Girllfriends birthday. Fabulous, worth every penny, service terrific, room excellent and one of the best breakfast I've ever had. Worth every penny. Class.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple