“Good hotel, ask for a room facing the back”
Review of Melia White House

Melia White House
Ranked #296 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 October 2011

This is a good hotel. There are actually two standards of rooms. If you pay a small supplement you get an upgraded room. The hotel is in an excellent location less than 5min walk from the Metro station (Great Portland street). It is also less than 3minutes from Regents Park.
The only two features that stop me giving this 5 stars are the fact that my room facing the front was noisy and wifi in the rooms is wired and expensive. Considering how quiet rooms at airport hotels can be, it is surprising how noisy rooms can be in the centre of London.
Would I stay here again? Gladly but I will ask for a room facing the back of the hotel.

2  Thank md1mm
ypp, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2011

Dear MMmd

Thank you for choosing the Melia White House and for your kind comments.

As the building is listed there are some limitations on the interventions we can make on the structure and even though all our rooms benefit from double glazing windows, some noise still exist, heavily due to the central location of the hotel.

We are pleased thought to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am happy to inform you that we are looking into upgrading our in-room internet to wi-fi within the next year.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions.

With kind regards

Yiorgos P Peroutseas
Guest Experience Manager - Melia White House

Write a ReviewReviews (7,239)

Reviewed 2 October 2011

I stayed in this hotel when in London at a conference
The hotel is in a good location / underground is close by
very good standard of hotel which is extremely comfortable
food is very good with a wide range of choice
staff were very helpful with directions around London and getting taxis, etc
Watch for offers as it makes a stay more affordable !!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Lainie32
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Stayed here recently. The foyer is being refurbished and one might say it looks like a palatial hall, open and bare with no atmosphere. My room was supposed to be a 'classic' twin/double. Whatever does classic mean? In this case it meant there was just 12" from the end of the bed to the wall, the TV must have been one of those invented by John Logie Baird, the bedside furniture had the once fashionable "distressed" look but the piece de resistance was the bathroom. The bath was about 3 feet deep but was tiny in all modern respects. There was barely just enough room to sit in it. If you are over 5' 7" tall, then getting in would be easy but sitting down might not be comfortable. It is not a good example of a comfortable bath in which you can relax after a day walking in london or after a long journey. But, the story does not end there - arising from the throne is not comfortable - there is less than 12 inches from your nose to the wall when you get up from the toilet! The wash hand basin is tiny and altogether, if there are 2 of you, with 2 suitcases, plus hand baggage, I wonder how you will get on in the main room. Then there is the soundproofing, I was able to hear the mighty roar of London's traffic and the conversation, admittedly a little loud, in the next room!
My buffet breakfast in a small and very busy dining room was only warm and, at £23, is another expensive outlay. You can get it at half price if you take out a loyalty card, which I did. But, I was so appalled at the bathroom that I asked for the price of the breakfast to be taken off the bill. The manager had to be consulted but customer care here extends to saying 'No!'
The hotel is run by a Spanish company and at £168 is just not worth the money. I wonder what room I would have been given if I was Spanish.
We are reminded of their need to conserve water (like many other places) and they grow herbs on the roof top.............Oh, they also give money to charity. I would suggest to them that charity might begin at home and, for the not cheap price of £168, they improve the facilities in their 'Classic' room.
It would appear the hotel is very busy, but what does that say about the hotel industry in London in particular? To me it says I will look to see if there are better hotels for that price for I will not be staying here again!

Room Tip: Pay a lot of money and ask for a room on the quieter side, if there is one.
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Service excellent, especially the concierge whose knowledge of sightseeing and local bus & train services, was most helpful. Enjoyed the very good entertainment every night in the lounge bar...guitar, harp, piano, solos etc. Lounge area top class. Good location near Regents Park & very handy to local shops, cafes & restaurants. Room a good standard but smaller than some we have used.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2011

From previous experiences traveling in Europe, I knew hotel room sizes are generally not palatial. No surprises here then if you book the standard Classic room with twin beds. The space is clean, but it felt dark and stuffy because of the furniture, decor and questionable air conditioning/heating unit (it seemed to have trouble maintaining a stable room temperature). The room and bathroom are narrow, so be warned.

Front desk service was competent, as was the concierge and room service. I did not make use of the gym or hotel restaurant.

The hotel's location is decent. Great Portland Street tube stop is across the street, and Regents Park is close by. All tourist attractions are easily reachable using public transport or walking (it took me about an hour to walk from the hotel to St. Paul's).

There are much better hotels in London, but it was the best option I could find at under $200.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Was there during London fashion week and as there was no place in my usual hotels, I stayed at the Melia White House for a night. Location is great, right next to Regents Park and within walking distance of most of central london attractions.
The entrance is really welcoming, with a large lobby and a luminous hall and the personal, at forst glance, seemed pleasant enough.
The room, however, was old, dirty and tiny. The wooden furniture was so old that the top layer had started to warp, the bathroom windows were so unclean that you could not see out of them and finally there was hardly any space in the room to walk around the bed.
As it was only for a night, I didnt complain, but whilst checking out, I guess out of courtesy, the Reception asked if I had a nice stay. When I replied 'no', giving the reasons, there was absolutely no reaction. The lady really didnt care at all and just gave me my bill and said goodbye. Scratch this hotel off my London list!

Reviewed 28 September 2011

I stayed for one week and had bad experience with the staff. Upon checking in the staff entered our room four times while we were sleeping. When I asked what they needed they responded "Just checking" Checking for what? I asked, no response. When we checked out I was surprised with a $450 phone bill for local calls. I purchased a tesco international calling as I do every time I travel abroad (and NEVER have been charged more than 20 pence a minute) and was charged one pound and twenty five pence for each minute. I made some phone calls but the phone was knocked off the hook while we went out for dinner and I was also charged this ridiculous rate for that as well. I tried to explain what happened to the man working the check out counter and his manager and was treated poorly. I was thinking we could make a compromise and perhaps they would take off the minutes that phone was knocked off the hook. The night manager was ignorant and I paid the bill.

Room Tip: The location was good but the Holiday Inn is very close and perhaps you would get better customer se...
Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends