“Tiny rooms, too costly”
Review of Melia White House

Melia White House
Ranked #292 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 September 2012

The rooms are tiny and are stocked with so much furniture that you'll find difficulty in moving around. Ditto for the bathroom. The service is good, staff is warm and friendly and the breakfast spread is adequate. Location in central London is excellent and convenient for business trips.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (7,238)

Reviewed 27 September 2012

Whenever I travel to London I always ask the company travel desk to find me something clean, quiet and preferably within walking distance of the office. This time they failed on the walking distance part.

However, what an impressive hotel! It's within 100 meters of the Portland street station. Marble reception area which sounds like a swimming pool. Staff is all Spanish it seems but speaks excellent but accented English.
I came to the hotel relatively early to pick up a colleague and found my room wasn't ready yet (not a surprise at 1000 in the morning) but the receptionist handled the paperwork for me already to save time in the busy afternoon. I asked for a quiet room and he allocated me one at the end of a corridor at the back of the hotel. Hotel has a few doormen and a real concierge on duty.

Public areas are spotless and very heavy on the marble and brass. My junior suite (someone in the travel desk must really like me) was spacious and spotless. Heavy carpeting, a 40" flatscreen with a good selection of channels on a printed list. Big double bed and a smallish bathroom. Good water pressure and a big selection of toiletries. Near the bed is a pillow menu and you can order bath salts via room service. There's an iron and board in the wardrobe as well as shoe shining supplies, a robe and slippers. A kettle and a minibar as you'd expect. Enough storage space for your clothes. Nice bonus were a few sockets for continental european plugs.

With my junior suite came the use of the level lounge on the ground floor. A big space with couches and tables. Coffee and tea and softdrinks are constantly available. Some beer and wine and an impressive selection of warm and cold snacks in the afternoon and early evening. Nice and it gives an extra air of exclusiveness. In the morning a breakfast buffet is served there with a good selection including champagne, smoked salmon and an assortment of fruits. The standard English fare is there as well minus the black pudding. Everything in sufficient amounts and very fresh!

The bar is more towards the front of the hotel and has a bit of a club/library air. Here as well excellent and attentive staff that can do anything from a simple pint to a complicated cocktail.

I wanted to go out for dinner to an Indian restaurant so asked the concierge for a tip. Before I knew it I had a map in my hand with the route to a nearby restaurant drawn on it. (good advice too, see my review of Gaylord).
After a good meal and a few martinis at the bar I soaked in the bath for half an hour and had the best night's sleep in a hotel I've had for a long, long time.

The hotel seems geared towards the business traveller on a good expensive account, it even has a nutritionist on call. Despite that it's not the extras and luxuries that make this hotel, it's the staff. Unlike the surely bunch you find in many London hotels these people seemed genuinely interested in making your stay as pleasant as possible and that goes from the junior doorman who opened the door for me to the young brunette who poured my coffee and left me at breakfast with a softly whispered "enjoy your breakfast sir"

The junior suite and the levels lounge were a nice luxury but even without those I think I'd gladly stay here again.

I could only find a few faults really.
- no price list with the minibar
- breakfast starts at 0700 which is early enough for a day at the office but not for a first flight. A small selection of pastries and coffee from 0530 onwards would be a nice gesture for people having to leave early.

Room Tip: Just ask for what you want, if they have it you'll get it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank wijnands
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Beautiful hotel found on last minute.com, very comfortable beds, room a little snug but spotless and tasteful. Bathroom equally "cozy" but again spotless and with an unusually large aray of complimentary toiletries! Tv was surprisingly poor-normally standard in most places to have a decent tv with freeview but ours looked several decades out of place! Very useful quick check-out option. Didn't avail of breakfast but highly recommend villandary 5mins away!

Room Tip: Really close to the zoo! Worth a visit!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We checked into the Melia White House last Friday and stayed there for two nights. On arrival the hotel was easy to get to, a ten minute walk from Euston Station and when we entered the reception area we were amazed by the luxurious decor. At reception we were greeted by a friendly member of staff who led us through the check in process and offered us help with our baggage. Our room (a classic double) was small however the luxurious decor featured throughout the public areas of the hotel was continued into the rooms with gold detail skirting boards, expensive looking mirrors and lovely paintings. The room itself was clean and came with amenities such as tea/coffee making facilities, an iron and ironing board, a mini bar, a large television, plenty of mirrors and plugs, etc!

When I booked the hotel online I was also given an offer whereby you receive a £30 voucher per room per night to spend on room service or in the restaurants. On the first night we exhausted this voucher on room service, and the following evening we dined in the Buffet Restaurant where we ate a three course buffet meal. All of the food that we ate within the hotel was cooked well and I have no complaints. Most of the staff in the restaurant were pleasant.

Overall it was a lovely stay and I'd not hesitate to go back and stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I have often stayed at the White House over the past few years and always look forward to coming back. I would agree with most of the other reviewers about getting a larger room on a higher floor if you want a reasonable amount of space and a quieter room. My main reason for posting a review though is for the restaurant (L'Albufera). I can honestly say that every time that I have eaten here I have been blown away by the quality and variety of the food. The staff have always been exceptionally helpful and knowledgable. You should try eating here before venturing out to the numerous eateries in the local area. Also try the mojitos in the great bar (especially if there is a Spanish sporting event on the TV).

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2012

21st -24th September 2012
This was our 3rd or 4th stay at the Melia White House and were we disappointed? No, we were not !!
We stayed in one of 'The Level' rooms and I swear the beds just get bigger and bigger, it was huge. We requested a 'quiet' room and were given one on the fifth floor at the end of one of the corridors which was ideal. It overlooked the front of the hotel but we didn't hear a thing at anytime.
The staff never fail to amaze us, always cheerful and they always speak.
The Level lounge is a great place to relax and just unwind in the early evening.
We ate in 'The Place' restaurant on one evening as we had the offer of £30 per room per night allowance restaurant spend. Yes, the restaurants in the hotel are expensive but this is London after all.
The hotel gets a 10/10 from us.

Room Tip: Go for 'The Level' rooms, they include a cooked buffet breakfast (and an open bar from 6pm...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adrian W
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed here before and it has always been a fantastic hotel but this time has been a different story. We stayed for the week end in a family room. I was astonished that the bathroom was in a terrible state. Windows were stained of black mould and the floor was cracked and badly repaired and the shower side very stained and damaged. Posted pictures. Sorry but in an hotel like this the bathroom should be spotless. It looks they had not clean the mould for months! Conplained and they told me that somebody would have called me on my mobile on my return home. They did not call me! Also asked for picking up our luggages when leaving but waited for ages and then decided to take luggages with us. The cherry on the cake! Will never step in this hotel ever again!

• Stayed: September 2012
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

First of all thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
Please accept our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in regards with the stay. Rest assured that your feedback has been already passed in order to ensure that our high standards are maintained.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further assistance,we remain at your complete disposal.