“Neither perfect nor bad”
Review of National Hotel

National Hotel
Ranked #908 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 August 2016

We've been there twice now and we actually pretty much liked it, but there are some pretty weak points.

For the beginning: this is an old building. A very old building.
The floor is uneven and squeeky,
- the carpets are old,
- the stairs are all over the place,
- the lamps look suspicous,
- some windows won't stay open,
- you can't really reach or regulate the heaters
- and the pressure and temperatur of the water is not consistent.
- Also, you don't have a bathroom or toilet on each room.
(We booked a room which did have a bathroom with tub and toilet though.)

So you do get rooms with stains on the wall, uneven floor or other damages. However, most of the damages are a sign of age - not a sign of neglect. The furniture is old too but at least in our rooms everything was intact and clean and did its job pretty well.
This building just needs a renovation pretty badly. Especially the condition of the water pipe system and heaters should be fixed.

For breakfast you could choose between englisch breakfast, cereals and toast with jam/honey. I did not like the englisch bf but since you do have options to choose from there is no valid reason to be mad.
They do not offer lunch or dinner so you are allowed to bring in whatever you want to and eat on your room.
(Also they hand out pamphlets with delivery services or attractions you might want to see as a tourist.)

The staff we encountered was really friendly and helpful and our room was tidied and cleaned every day. Also, we had a tv in our room and pretty good wifi as well.

There are quit some shops and restaurants right around the corner, but its still pretty far away from the inner city. However, you can easily reach a tubestation via bus within just a few minutes. We usually took the bus from muswell hill station to east finchley.

If you don't care much about stains in some corners or a volatile water temperature you can have a pretty good time there. Its clean, the furniture does not fall apart despite of its age and the people around are pretty nice too.

Room Tip: Book a room with bath included.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 July 2016

A fairly average hotel in London, I would give 2.5 stars if I could.
Used to see a band in Alexandra palace for a night, the room was spacious but old fashioned and not particularly clean.
The shower room was small, and a bit of a sturggle for my 6 foot partner. However the shower was efficient, so no real complaints.
Free parking and good connections to the city.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2016

Booked this hotel as it was cheap, wasn't expecting much as have had a lot cheaper before, this however takes the biscuit, admittedly on booking my room I mistakenly thought that as it said "shower" I assumed it meant bathroom, nope,no loo, If I was young and able bodied to keep going up and down the stairs then maybe this wouldn't of been an issue but for me it was, so sadly I had to degrade myself to weeing in the shower, which is right there in the room!!, the just about double bed touched both sides of the walls, so had to climb in from the bottom, dodgy,wiring,holes in ceilings/walls, no full length mirror, had to go down to get anything you wanted, basically you couldn't swing a cat, the floor was all bouncy and uneven, we felt dirty just being there, it;s disgusting and for £55 it's a down right insult, I wouldn't pay £10 if I saw it 1st, cheap isn't always the way!!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tanya g
Reviewed 7 June 2016

This hotel is cheap so I didn't expect much more than a place to sleep at the end of the day/night.
As my expectations were not high and taking into account the reviews I had read on tripadvisor the hotel was pretty much as I thought it would be.
the place needs a serious tidy up. the carpets in our room were stained and the furniture was old.
As per booking the bathroom was shared, however there is a shower in the bedroom, unfortunately it was really small and didn't have obscure glass and as the room was a twin (I was sharing with a friend) it wasn't in any way private.
The breakfast was also on the poor side.
on the plus side the hotel is situated near a major bus route into London and near a wetherspoons (for a decent breakfast)

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2016 via mobile

Alright, so for sixty five quid it was never going to be great. On the downside there is the following:
1. Bed springs sticking in your back
2. Filthy dirty
3. No hot water
4. Lights in room and corridors didn't work
5. Stinks

On the good side:

1. Checked in at 3.15am and out at 5.45am. Only two and a half hours of misery, and only awake for one and a half hours of that.

Save some money, buy a newspaper and sleep on the bench in the park. If you really must stay, stop at the nearby off licence for a bottle of vodka on the way. You'll need it.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2016

Room Tip: No lift so you need to be able to climb stairs. No safe in my room so you may need to check if they...
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 26 April 2016

So booked this hotel before I read all the bad reviews here. And what can I say? Let's start with some positivity: it wasn't AS bad as I thought after I read the reviews. Our room was clean, just like we booked we had our own toilet and shower and they were fine. If you have already booked don't worry, it's not that horrible really.
If you haven't: don't. Yes, it's cheap. But that's about it. After 2 days my back still hurts from the bed, and I never have issues with my back. The room was hot, and the heat was off, so I don't know why but even in a chilly night with the windows whide open I couldn't sleep because of how warm it was in the room.
Breakfast sucks. We were 'served' by a moody, messy looking lady (she is probably underpaid, I wouldn't want her job so not blaming her, but still). breakfast was slammed on the table and tasted just.. horrible. After the first morning we decided to eat breakfast somewhere else.
Service wasn't existing there anyway. Any questions we asked, they didn't care. He rudely interrupted me and told me I still had to pay.
then the neighbourhood. Muswell Hill is very nice. Really. Nice places to eat and shops around. When you're there to visit Central London it's not the best location. Yes, 24hr buses do go there, but they stop at every streetcorner (seriously) so it takes you ages to get there. Smartest thing would be to take the bus to Archway and continue with tube there.
Overall not a great experience. Especially the non-existent service. But again; if you already booked don't worry: our room was clean, got new towells everyday and the neigbourhood is great (amazing views there!) Oh, and we had great wifi connection in the room as well.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple