We've been there twice now and we actually pretty much liked it, but there are some pretty weak points.
For the beginning: this is an old building. A very old building.
The floor is uneven and squeeky,
- the carpets are old,
- the stairs are all over the place,
- the lamps look suspicous,
- some windows won't stay open,
- you can't really reach or regulate the heaters
- and the pressure and temperatur of the water is not consistent.
- Also, you don't have a bathroom or toilet on each room.
(We booked a room which did have a bathroom with tub and toilet though.)
So you do get rooms with stains on the wall, uneven floor or other damages. However, most of the damages are a sign of age - not a sign of neglect. The furniture is old too but at least in our rooms everything was intact and clean and did its job pretty well.
This building just needs a renovation pretty badly. Especially the condition of the water pipe system and heaters should be fixed.
For breakfast you could choose between englisch breakfast, cereals and toast with jam/honey. I did not like the englisch bf but since you do have options to choose from there is no valid reason to be mad.
They do not offer lunch or dinner so you are allowed to bring in whatever you want to and eat on your room.
(Also they hand out pamphlets with delivery services or attractions you might want to see as a tourist.)
The staff we encountered was really friendly and helpful and our room was tidied and cleaned every day. Also, we had a tv in our room and pretty good wifi as well.
There are quit some shops and restaurants right around the corner, but its still pretty far away from the inner city. However, you can easily reach a tubestation via bus within just a few minutes. We usually took the bus from muswell hill station to east finchley.
If you don't care much about stains in some corners or a volatile water temperature you can have a pretty good time there. Its clean, the furniture does not fall apart despite of its age and the people around are pretty nice too.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity.ca and Cancelon so you can book your National Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.