“We nicknamed it Fawlty Towers by the end of the stay.........”
Review of National Hotel

National Hotel
Ranked #914 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 October 2016

Where to begin...... Well it looked ok on arrival but this was at almost 9pm and it was pretty dark, My room was on walking in like an oven and all I could hear any time anyone used water in the building was what sounded like a tin bath being refilled........ The communal shower was a wet yourself soap up and dare to dive in for 3 seconds to rinse off, as well as being disgusting it was infested with wasps. After 2 nights of 0 sleep in the tin bath room they changed me room, but the hotel was full and another work colleague was being moved room too as she had been eaten alive by bed bugs (which they deny) all night long. Luckily I didn't get bed bug room I got what looked like a staff members bedroom, complete with a sheet of MDF screwed to the bed base and a mattress that was older than me...... Combined with other colleagues problems, including in one room the toilette having no pipe on the back so it flushed straight onto the roof below, it fast became known by us all at fawlty towers and we had many a laugh discussing the issues each had during the following day. I didnt once have a clean cup in my room, they had been used by the previous occupiers, the maids cleaning was lacklustre at best but the guys on reception bless them tried their best. Breakfast was an experience..... it says full english included but no, its £4 and I can heartily advise to skip it as the loo waste landed on the kitchen roof........ as well as it being deep fried everything, think they would have deep fried the baked beans if they could have....... and if the dining area gets busy! Hold onto your plate because they whip it off you and fling breadcrumbs at you before you can take a sip of manky cup coffee.......... Being refurbed next year apparently, good luck to them! Hope they hire some decent cleaners......

Room Tip: DO NOT get room 28 unless you like the sound of water hitting a tin bath all night long
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

After a night out in London realised we hadn't booked a hotel for that night. Amazed this was the only hotel nearby in which we could book at that time in London. They double charged us at the time (both ourselves and the staff were unaware) but was rectified in the morning. Didn't stay for breakfast as wanted additional £10!! Wouldn't stay again out of choice but gave us a bed for the night.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2016

We've been there twice now and we actually pretty much liked it, but there are some pretty weak points.

For the beginning: this is an old building. A very old building.
The floor is uneven and squeeky,
- the carpets are old,
- the stairs are all over the place,
- the lamps look suspicous,
- some windows won't stay open,
- you can't really reach or regulate the heaters
- and the pressure and temperatur of the water is not consistent.
- Also, you don't have a bathroom or toilet on each room.
(We booked a room which did have a bathroom with tub and toilet though.)

So you do get rooms with stains on the wall, uneven floor or other damages. However, most of the damages are a sign of age - not a sign of neglect. The furniture is old too but at least in our rooms everything was intact and clean and did its job pretty well.
This building just needs a renovation pretty badly. Especially the condition of the water pipe system and heaters should be fixed.

For breakfast you could choose between englisch breakfast, cereals and toast with jam/honey. I did not like the englisch bf but since you do have options to choose from there is no valid reason to be mad.
They do not offer lunch or dinner so you are allowed to bring in whatever you want to and eat on your room.
(Also they hand out pamphlets with delivery services or attractions you might want to see as a tourist.)

The staff we encountered was really friendly and helpful and our room was tidied and cleaned every day. Also, we had a tv in our room and pretty good wifi as well.

There are quit some shops and restaurants right around the corner, but its still pretty far away from the inner city. However, you can easily reach a tubestation via bus within just a few minutes. We usually took the bus from muswell hill station to east finchley.

If you don't care much about stains in some corners or a volatile water temperature you can have a pretty good time there. Its clean, the furniture does not fall apart despite of its age and the people around are pretty nice too.

Room Tip: Book a room with bath included.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2016

A fairly average hotel in London, I would give 2.5 stars if I could.
Used to see a band in Alexandra palace for a night, the room was spacious but old fashioned and not particularly clean.
The shower room was small, and a bit of a sturggle for my 6 foot partner. However the shower was efficient, so no real complaints.
Free parking and good connections to the city.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2016

Booked this hotel as it was cheap, wasn't expecting much as have had a lot cheaper before, this however takes the biscuit, admittedly on booking my room I mistakenly thought that as it said "shower" I assumed it meant bathroom, nope,no loo, If I was young and able bodied to keep going up and down the stairs then maybe this wouldn't of been an issue but for me it was, so sadly I had to degrade myself to weeing in the shower, which is right there in the room!!, the just about double bed touched both sides of the walls, so had to climb in from the bottom, dodgy,wiring,holes in ceilings/walls, no full length mirror, had to go down to get anything you wanted, basically you couldn't swing a cat, the floor was all bouncy and uneven, we felt dirty just being there, it;s disgusting and for £55 it's a down right insult, I wouldn't pay £10 if I saw it 1st, cheap isn't always the way!!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tanya g
Reviewed 7 June 2016

This hotel is cheap so I didn't expect much more than a place to sleep at the end of the day/night.
As my expectations were not high and taking into account the reviews I had read on tripadvisor the hotel was pretty much as I thought it would be.
the place needs a serious tidy up. the carpets in our room were stained and the furniture was old.
As per booking the bathroom was shared, however there is a shower in the bedroom, unfortunately it was really small and didn't have obscure glass and as the room was a twin (I was sharing with a friend) it wasn't in any way private.
The breakfast was also on the poor side.
on the plus side the hotel is situated near a major bus route into London and near a wetherspoons (for a decent breakfast)

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2016 via mobile

Alright, so for sixty five quid it was never going to be great. On the downside there is the following:
1. Bed springs sticking in your back
2. Filthy dirty
3. No hot water
4. Lights in room and corridors didn't work
5. Stinks

On the good side:

1. Checked in at 3.15am and out at 5.45am. Only two and a half hours of misery, and only awake for one and a half hours of that.

Save some money, buy a newspaper and sleep on the bench in the park. If you really must stay, stop at the nearby off licence for a bottle of vodka on the way. You'll need it.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
2.5 km away
4.1 km away
Best Western London Highbury
Best Western London Highbury
#542 of 1,081 in London

Been to National Hotel? Share your experiences!