“An early dinner”

Price range: US$20 - US$33
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Description: Stunning contemporary restaurant & bar just outside London Bridge Station. Azzurro London Bridge is located on London's Tooley Street, opposite the entrance to the London Dungeon & next to the main line & tube station. This modern restaurant is open from midday until late seven days a week, serving top quality, freshly prepared, great value, Italian food. The downstairs bar comes to life in the evening with the local office population visiting for the all important after-work drinks en route to the station. The restaurant area can seat up to a hundred guests and the huge basement bar is ideal for all types of parties up to 300 people.
Reviewed 23 September 2017

Went in here for an early dinner before going onto The Shard. Initially tried to enter via the downstairs where I noticed a couple of staff playing around - very unprofessional for any restaurant. I was then directed upstairs to the ground floor entrance. On entering there was only one other table taken which helped to explain the lack of atmosphere in the place. We had booked but were told to sit anywhere by the waitress. I fancied a quick half of lager before having wine with my dinner but was put off by the fact they were asking £3.50 for a half when it was a respectable £5 odd a pint. The Chilean Sauvignon was nice and reasonably priced. My wife and I had minestrone soup which was cold and we both sent it back. When it then arrived it was at the right temperature but was very very spicy - very odd and did nothing for the taste. One of my daughters had the calamari which she said was nice; the other daughter having a selection of breads. There was a reasonable gap between courses which was a plus. Again I was disappointed with my main course the lasagne. Now call me old fashioned but I prefer mine with a bit of minced beef in however I really had to search for any filling in my lasagne. I dissected it sheet by sheet and there was hardly any filling. In addition the pasta was very stodgy - it was definitely not freshly cooked that day. I would go on to say that it was perhaps the worst lasagne I have ever had from an establishment that sells itself as a typical Italian restaurant. My wife's chicken risotto was nice without being anything special and my youngest daughters carbonara type dish was quite bland. My eldest daughter had chicken with potatoes and green beans which she said was really nice. The plus points for the restaurant was that they readily provided jugs of table water and the service was good up to a point. It was poor that they added service charge to the bill, although discretionary, and when the waitress provided me with the bill she stood by our table and asked me how would we like to pay BEFORE I HAD EVEN HAD A CHANCE TO LOOK AT THE BILL!!!!! All in all not a great experience and if you like traditional Italian food try somewhere else!!!

karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Azzurro - London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Dear Kgellis

I am very very sorry for any issues encountered when you dined with us . I have passed these comments to the manager who is currently investigating and taking the necessary and appropriate steps to put things right.
I would like to restore your faith in us and if you would consider this please email me and I will arrange a voucher for you : karen@towncentrerestaurants.co.uk

Regards

Reviewed 6 September 2017

I popped in here for a quick coffe and mostly to look for a toilet in this area. I was welcomed by a friendly girl and she as most charming. Only had time for a quick coffee as I was meeting a friend but the food looked lovely. Would certainly try this out if I as going to The Shard. Coffee was great.

karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Azzurro - London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Dear Guest

thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again when you next pop in to eat with us

regards

Reviewed 1 September 2017

We enjoyed lunch here. The lunch special included a meal and drink. The restaurant should probably promote this a bit more amongst the surrounding businesses as it wasn't that full when we went.

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for the review - please feel free to tell your colleagues about us !

See you soon

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

We popped in here whilst waiting to visit the Shard which is close by.
The majority of people were sat outside and it was almost empty inside.
We were greeted by a young lady who said "Sit where you like". Our waiter, a young lad, came over and stood there. I ordered a bottle of water for both of us and a diet coke for my wife.......to my surprise before I could order my glass of wine, he strode off.
Poor lad then had to make another trip.
The bottle of water was plonked on our table along with a glass full of ice. We had to open this and pour it ourselves.
We ordered our food which came in timely fashion. It was adequate at best, my wife had spaghetti Bolognese which she said was ok, I had risotto which was stodgy.

The bill came to £51.15 and they kindly added a 10% service charge for the "exceptional" service.

The place was extremely tired, I loved the fly in my glass of water (photo attached). I don't mind paying a service charge when I receive good service......
We WON'T be returning. A lot better places close by

karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Azzurro - London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Dear Guest

I am sorry to read your comments - please could you email me directly karen@towncentreretsaurants.co.uk

Regards

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

This is one of my favourite places to catch up with friends. The food is tasty and the staff friendly. Conveniently located and never overcrowded or loud.

karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Azzurro - London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Dear Guest

thank you for the lovely review and we hope to see you again soon

kind regards