“Lovely accommodation in great location”

The Trafalgar Hotel
Ranked #362 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Colorado
“Lovely accommodation in great location”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I got an upgrade to a room with an interesting design. It was large and comfortable with a step up to a seating area with a desk. The step up meant that the large window was above eye level which was just as well as it mainly pointed at the building next door. The bathroom was very nice. The staff were all helpful and friendly. I arrived very early in the morning, and they sent me off to breakfast while they got my room ready. I liked the breakfast and the breakfast seating. I made good use of the small but well-equipped fitness room. I never saw anybody else in there.

With Hilton Gold, you get a free breakfast. I was not able to learn that in advance so I paid for the first morning's breakfast since it was Christmas Day. I tried to get a refund for that meal but was not successful. (I did not try very hard since they'd served me free breakfast upon arrival.) I found a gift of wine and sweets on the first night and then again on the second night because of the holiday. I also had free wifi in my room which I really appreciated.

My only real gripe was the elevator that made a loud grinding noise as it passed each floor. I appreciate that it was holiday time, but it seems like such a high end hotel could manage to get it fixed anyway. The noise was fairly loud in my room which was some distance from the elevator, so I felt sorry for those in closer rooms. (I reported the problem when it first started, so I know they knew about it.) Other than that, the room was very quiet.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank 10fish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Brilliant location, Our room looked directly out to 'Nelson' . Great breakfast and friendly efficient staff. The location is so central for everything!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Travelworlds1
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel on January 23rd and 24th of 2012. It is a beautiful facility in a perfect location. London was outside our door. The staff was friendly, accommodating and very helpful. The room was lovely, comfortable and large.

6 Thank JennyPlesums
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Pleased to be back! This was my first Leisure stay at this Hotel, previously I have stayed alone when working in London, I was able to share a fantastic weekend with my other half and we were lucky to bring some friends on this trip who where celebrating their engagement. We all had a fantastic time, booking a Deluxe room gave us even more space than i am used to here (something none of the rooms are short of) :) views over Trafalgar Square meant seeing (but not hearing) all that was going on with the Chinese new year celebrations.We had some excellent cocktails in Rockwell Bar followed by a meal in Rockwell Restaurant, which was fab!!! All of my favourite things on the menu! I will be back again soon, I have recommended the hotel to family who always enjoy their stays, there are a few booked in the near future and I am sure that they will all have a wonderful relaxing breaks too!

Room Tip: I have stayed in several types of room here, none dissapoint!
5 Thank catsaffron79
North Richland Hills, Texas
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several other times and I have given it good reviews, as well as recommended it to friends and co-workers. Beware if you need to modify your reservation. I had booked 4 nights, but due to the death of my Mother, I needed to cancel the first night of my stay, only to be told that if I did that, the rate for the other nights would be increased by about 200.00 per night (So, they make up what you cancel by increasing the price for the nights you don't cancel). I found this to be bad business ethic, and since they refused to keep the rate I had booked, stayed elsewhere. I contacted Hilton corporate and then was contacted by a Trafalgar employee who has communicated to me that this is not their normal practice. I am not sure I will ever return to this hotel, because the employee who refused to cancel the first night I had booked without increasing the rate on the other three nights, made it clear this was their policy. This was so disappointing to me. I have stayed at Hiltons around the world for years, and this makes me not to want to ever stay at a Hilton property again.

Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank stevewilhite
suffolk
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Do not be misled as you approach this hotel because there are no signs anywhere to indicate that it is a Hilton hotel! Neither is there at check in, no Hhonors desk, no comment forms, nothing you would normally associate with a Hilton arrival/check in. However the service was very good, the room allocated excellent with a view of Trafalgar Square from the window, and we enjoyed the breakfast in the lower ground restaurant (getting very busy and 'stressy' when we left at 9.15 however). There is a much higher number of non hotel guests than usual, given its location, and it trades very heavily on its roof top bar, which however is not open in the winter! You pay a premium price to stay there and fundamentally you are paying for the location which is superb. However on balance I think I would opt for one of the other Hiltons which offer more amenities and are not premium price rated - I do not think it is worth the extra money.

Room Tip: If you want a view of Nelson ask for it, but you may have to pay a supplement
UK
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Excellent central location – opposite the National Gallery and only minutes away from many theatres, cinemas, restaurants, Covent Garden, Piccadilly, etc. Public transport (bus, tube, train) is a stone’s throw away. The staff at reception were friendly – note that front desk looks more like one you would see at a spa than a hotel but there is a reassuring “customer service” desk a few paces away!

Our room was large with a very comfy king size bed. The triple glazing worked well though I would have like to be able to open the window. The lighting throughout the hotel was ‘subdued’, including in the bedrooms but there was a reading light by the lounger and also small versions by the bed.

We had a good breakfast in the main restaurant (in the basement so somewhat dark) with very efficient service. There is a bar on the ground floor and a roof terrace open subject to weather. Given that we visited on a cold wet day in January it was not open for us to experience that evening!