“below average”
Review of King's Cross Hotel

King's Cross Hotel
Ranked #400 of 579 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 November 2014

we stayed for two nights at end of october. Best thing is location very near to kings cross which means you can get anywhere in london. Staff were really friendly and helpful but our room was really small, shower just did scalding hot, view from window was a garden full of rubbish. Breakfast was dark room in basement where you could help yourself to tea/coffee toast eggs and beans were offered by staff. We paid £180 for two nights and we are aware of the price range in london but the very least you expect is clean with a shower that works and we didnt get it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TracyMRobinson

Reviewed 5 November 2014

The location of this hotel for Kings Cross was great and the staff were helpful and friendly but the room which was sold as a triple was the size of a single room with a double and a single bed squeezed in, if it had been budget prices I wouldn't have minded but over £100 a night was not good. The bathroom was a tiny sink, shower and toilet crammed into a corner, sitting on the toilet made it hard to shut the door!

There was a window in the room but it was basement level so it opened onto a yard full of junk and a dead potted palm that had a pair of underpants hanging off it that had presumably been thrown out of a window above...

The hotel also seems to be quite close to the underground line (understandable due to the location of KC), so being in the basement meant you had to get used to the constant rattle of trains through the night.

The only saving grace was the staff who were as mentioned friendly and polite at all times.

Walking from the hotel to the station I went past about 20 alternative hotels most of which looked to be a similar or slightly lower price with a better ambience but obviously can't comment on the rooms, next time I need to stay at KC I'll check one of those out.

Room Tip: Try a room upstairs to avoid train noise but I'd try another hotel first
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2014

This hotel is 2 minutes walk from Kings Cross. The room was small and in the basement so there was no window - there was a window in the bath room so we could get some fresh air. The room was spotless and the beds very comfortable. The en-suite bathroom was a decent size and there was plenty of hot water. We arrived early and our room was ready there is a hospitality tray but no biscuits so take your own if you like a sweet treat!) and only one small towel each. Breakfast was ok, not the best quality ingredients but fine for setting you up for the day. The staff are very friendly and helpful and we were able to leave our bags all day free of charge on check out. I was more than happy. It's not 5 star, but it does what it says - a decent budget hotel. If you go with realistic expectations you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: There are a lot of steep stairs and no lift so if mobility is an issue ask for a ground floor room...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2014

The worst hotel I have stayed in so far! would not consider booking again. only positive thing I can say about the hotel is the location, just across from station. Room stank felt the need to cover are noses!, the cushions and duvets had stains, could not wait to leave the hotel!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank iliz y
Reviewed 10 October 2014

The room was so small the double bed was pressed against two walls- In other words- one person could not walk around the bed to get out of it. The A/C was too big for the room & it was very cold. There was hammering going on for improvements.
I've stayed in bigger cruise ship rooms.
The bathroom was clean & small & there was a desk in the room but you could only sit at it if you didn't need to get into the bed.
Also there is no lift/elevator. I had to carry my bags up four landings to get to the second floor. The person at the desk never offered to bring them up for me.
The breakfast was good & adequate.
The location is the only reason to stay at this hotel. We were leaving to go to Scotland & the trains leave from the Kings Cross Station which is right across the street.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2014 via mobile

Out of all the hotels I've ever stayed in this is by far the worst! We stayed 3 nights b&b and it got worse by the day.

When we arrived the manager at the desk was lovely, the place looked ok and the manager said our room was on the 2nd floor. I was with my 72 year old gran who can find stairs a bit hard so the manager carried her bags up for her. That was the end of any good point about this place.
In the way up the stairs the landings were littered with all of the dirty washing/bedding strewn across the floors which I almost tripped over twice. When we got to our room (no9) the door handle had door filler all around it and was a mess, it looked as if the door belonged on a building site yet to be finished (they must have had to change the door handle at one point)

Once we got into the room I couldn't believe the size of it, it was tiny! A double bed (which had a hole in it) squashed right up against the wall, no storage space at all apart from one narrow cupboard around 50cm wide and 2 small faux leather boxes with removable lids. The walls were all dirty covered in stains and old wet marks, the wall sticker was peeling off. The only point of electricity for us to use was an extension cable lying across the floor. We also had a standing lamp, small fridge which was dirty and small tv. At this point I wanted to complain but my gran was too scared she would get told to leave and have nowhere to go so I held my tongue.
I opened what I thought was a cupboard door to find a tiny little en-suite shower room with a toilet sink and shower all so close together it was impossible to actually feel clean, I genuinely think this was a cupboard renovation. The shower head was absolutely filthy covered in dirt and limescale, instead of a bath mat the manager put a towel on the floor. When it came to having a shower, it swiftly turned into a bath because the water didn't drain. Nice.
Went for breakfast in the first morning, the dining room was dirty and cold, there were 2 cereal dispensers and a sign saying self service on the opposite wall. Going over to the sign I realised it was tea/coffee self service, the kettle etc was out along with a milk jug and there was a girl in the smallest kitchen I've ever seen (another cupboard renovation it seemed) who asked what would I like for breakfast. My choice was toast, beans or egg. Great choices there, no bacon or sausage or anything else breakfast related. So I asked for toast and scrambled eggs. I was given hot bread which I gave back to be properly toasted and not scrambled eggs but a burnt fried egg covered in pepper. Again my gran begged me not to complain. I also heard another couple at breakfast ask for orange juice and the cook said "we have none left so tough" very rude indeed. And when that couple asked her for some toast she said "I don't work through here!" Meaning they should go to her, she was not there to go to them. We didn't go for breakfast again.
We stayed out of the hotel as much as possible as the tv didn't work very well, you couldn't use it without a remote and our remote had to be replaced 4 times because it didn't work, we gave up after the 4th.
On the last night I went for my shower and again it didn't drain. When I opened the shower door to get out I discovered that the whole bathroom was flooded, all of the towels were wet my pyjamas were soaked the place was swimming so at this point I couldn't hold my tongue any longer. I called the staff up to sort it out, no apology, he came in with a plunger to clear the drain, left it along with all it's dirt in the bathroom, moved my wet clothes to the side and said you can go in now. At this point I complained that it was unacceptable. He said "oh well, sorry" and that was all. He then left the room didn't offer to dry my pyjamas so I had to sleep in my leggings and a shirt. Didn't give us any more towels and didn't dry up the flood. We called him back to the room to clean it up and they just put 2 towels on the floor to soak up the water. I couldn't believe the lack of service.
When we left to check out in the morning I told the man on the desk that we wanted compensating, that for the 200 odd pounds we paid the level of service and the state of the hotel and problems we encountered were unacceptable. He didn't apologise, he told me we could not have a refund because we didn't complain at the right time. I've never been so angry in my life I asked him if he thought it was acceptable and he just looked sheepish. They do NOT care about service or the customer as long as they are paid. I wouldn't recommend their service as fit for dogs. Their attitude stinks.

Stayed: September 2014
4  Thank Shahree F
Reviewed 25 September 2014 via mobile

This month , I spent 07 night in this hotel with my wife. Really is not a bed hotel at all, staff very friendly & helpful especially Mr Mohammed and Miss Ekona , I got a double room with private bathroom very clean, changing towels every day , good breakfast, clean kitchen.
Also the location is very good 05 min walk to king cross & st pancra's stations. The Bus transport is available 24 hours ( bus n 10 ).honestly I recommend this hotel due to the good value of Quality/ price.

Sami chergu. Algeria