“Not a safe option.”

The Darlington Hyde Park
Ranked #230 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 April 2012

On a big beleiver in first impressions being lasting impressions i was shocked when arriving and checking into the darlington that upon the paperwork which i was required to sign by a receptionist whom was confused throughout the conversation, that for myself, my teenage daughter and my elderly parents identification was needed for all.
When we pulled out normally what would be acceptable photo identification for ourselves, the receptionist refused to accept claiming it was 'nomal procedure' and presented me with a form of paper which required each of us to put down our passport numbers, signatures, where the passport was issued at and our date of birth. After confronting the receptionist about this invasion of my familys privacy, as i did not mind placing down my own as was paying for the two rooms, and they already had my credit card details, the receptionist stated that they must fill it out. Refusing to place their passport details down as we are overseas travellers, i printed their names in the signature box, much to the dislike of the receptionist.

The rest of my stay was plesant, the rooms were clean and the options for breakfast were decent. But through this personal experiance, i wont ever be returning to this particular hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank IveCaughtTheTavelBug
yulaine, Manager at The Darlington Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2012

As required under the Immigration (Hotel Records) Order 1972 all Hotels must keep a record of the full name and Nationality of their guests. For non UK residents their passport or identification ID card number, place of issue of their passport, nationality and next destination are legally required for all persons over the age of 16.
The management of the Darlington Hyde Park are extremely sorry if this was not clearly explained on your arrival at the hotel a notice clearly explaining this has now been displayed at the reception to help prevent future confusion.
The Darlington Hyde Park is also registered under the Data Protection Act to ensure all customers personal details are securely store both electronically or on paper.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,219)

Reviewed 16 April 2012

This hotel is in a great location - very close to Paddington Station, lots of bars/restaurants, Hyde Park and hop on hop off bus tour. Nice clean modern room. However, this hotel has no (or very very little) sound proofing. We were kept awake by what sounded like an elephant walking across the floor above our room for hours on end in the middle of the night and then woken by the same noise at 4am in the morning which continued until we finally got out of bed at 7.30am! I tried to call reception several times during these hours to complain but no one answered (even though it was supposed to be '24 hour reception service'). We could also hear the guests in the room next to us complaining about the noise at around 5am.

If we stayed here again, it would purely be for the location (which was amazing).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed here 2 nights at the end of March in a small single room. It was definitely a small single room, but that was expected for London. However, it was clean, and the whole hotel looked like it had recently been painted/renovated, clean carpets. Staff at check in were very nice and helpful with information/restaurant suggestions, etc. The included breakfast was great, with both continental items, as well as a chance to have a cooked to order full English made for you. Paddington Station train/tube and bus stops both very close. Quiet neighborhood as well. The ladies at the front desk work both the desk as well as the breakfast room service (hard workers!) Would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Stayed for 3 days everything was great.
Clean room good breakfast would recommend .
Close to lots of restaurants and a 5 minute walk to Paddington station

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Myself and my teenage daughter stayed here on the night of Monday 9th April 2012. It was only a 3 minute walk from Paddington Station. The staff on the reception desk and Breakfast room were very efficent, polite and inconspicouous at the same time. Following my short walk from the train station my shoes were rather muddy and the hem on my trouser leg was dragging. What a pleasant suprise to discover that along with the usual 'bathroom smellies' there was an emergency sewing repair kit, and shoe buffer kit in the room. I would have no hesitation in returning to this hotel and have already recomended it to a frien who is visiting London in the next few weeks.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2012

A very pleasant stay in London, thanks to the very good quality of the Darlington Hotel.
Thank you so much for global service, quality of the breakfast and rooms comfort.
We forthrightly recommend Darlington Hôtel, for an unforgettable stay in the city.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I booked for business, after an event in London I arrived around 2am. I rang the bell and the night manager answered. He was completely rude, didn't acknowledge me when he opened the door, I tried to make conversation and he ignored me. He asked for my passport details which I have never provided in the UK for Hotel booking, I told him I didn't have it and he just said " well I need it"! Rude as unhelpful. My room 12 stank of smoke which was surprising to me. The bedroom was basic and the bathroom shower leaked even with the curtain in the bath as stated. The morning staff were also short on exit. Completely disappointed for a Hotel that had seemingly good reviews. I guess you hey what you pay for.

• Stayed: April 2012