“Good Value”
Review of Ebury House

Ebury House
Ranked #853 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 May 2009

This is not the Ritz but it is extremely convenient. being very near Victoria Station and an easy walk to Buckingham Palace. Breakfast is not included but there are lots of places to choose from close by and 2 of those offer discounts for guests of the hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was recently renovated with fresh paint and a new laminate floor. Definitely an excellent value for basic accomodation.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Visitor051

Reviewed 16 August 2007

I was amused at the reviews I have seen on this hotel. There seemed to be mixed reactions. I felt it was nice enough for the type of hotel that it is - namely, a youth hostel type. I found out about it on the youth hostel website. I did think the rates listed were slightly misleading - it listed its cheapest rate as 25 pounds, when I got there they said the only room available was one for three people which cost 48 pounds. Plus there was a 1 pound plus charge for using my checkcard. It was on the 5th floor or a tiny row-house type building so I had to walk up 4 flights of steps. Neverthless it looked nice enough. It apparently is under new management and has been renovated recently - looked like it had a new paint job. For my purposes I think I am just as happy to walk up since I can do it and I feel more secure that way. They had a bathroom on each floor and there were three small rooms on my floor. The other two rooms filled up - I think one of them may have had their own bathroom. The people I saw seemed very nice. The bathroom was small but adequate. However when I took a shower the water was only lukewarm. The great advantage to this is its location - it is on the next block from Victoria Coach Station and a couple of blocks from Victoria Rail Station. As I understand that London is very pricey I suppose it is a good buy considering. All I wanted was a place to spend the night as I was leaving early next morning and for that purpose it was adequate. They did not include breakfast but Victoria Coach station has lots of fast-food type places inside the station-I especially recommend the ham and cheese pasty for 1pound35. Also there is a small grocery store beside the station. If I go to London again I probably will try something else but it is good to keep in mind in case I need an inexpensive place to stay next to the station.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank Stenger_Traveler
Reviewed 17 July 2007

This house is now being managed, along with several other houses on Ebury Street, under Belgravia rooms. I posted a review under Collin House on this website that would be applicable to Ebury House, as they are now both managed by the same people. In summary - you don't want to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank OingoBoingo
Reviewed 29 March 2007

When I booked our twin ensuite room, I spoke on the phone with a very lovely young lady. I had seen the hotel in a guidebook which is usually very reliable, and the price was very good for London. We chose the hotel for the proximity to Victoria Station as we needed to be on the Gatwick Express early in the morning. Neighborhood was lovely (Belgravia) and safe. Short walk (15-20 minutes) to Parliment, London Eye, Westminster.

Our problems started when we got to the front door. There was a sign indicating we were to check in next door at the Collin House.
I went in to the reception area, where a young man told me I would have to wait as there was someone in front of me. Not a problem. However, I stood for quite some time and he did not acknowledge me again (except to introduce his mother when she came in). He was working on the computer, so I assumed he was checking rooms. I finally asked if I was in the right place to check in. He assumed I was wating to use the guest computer, why I'm not sure. After finally completing the check in process, i mentioned I was looking forward to speaking with the woman who had booked my stay. I was then told the reason we were checking in at the Collin House is that they have bought the Ebury House.

We have stayed in London several times, so we are aware of smaller hotels, but this was the worst experience we have had. Beds were terrible, linens scratchy. Entire bathroom was a stall stuck in the corner of the room. You could barely turn around in it. Toilet paper holder broken, so tp sat on shelf behind toilet...almost unreachable. No soap in the sink. No hand towels. Curtains didn't close. Tv didn't work. Air freshener (Glade solid) was empty. Did I mention there was no heat? No way to turn the radiator up/on.

I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2007

Hotel is cheap (for London), location of the hotel is great & the street quiet. Management is not particulary friendly but they're polite and try to meet your needs. We stayed in a twin ensuite room - the room was budget but OK. Some niggles - like a broken lamp half hanging from the wall, paper thin walls next to the stairs, the toilet had cracks in the rim which had gone green and the tiny plastic ensuite only has enough warm water for one shower. If you can, ask for a double room as I think these are in better condition. The breakfast room is nice but the English breakfast is vegetarian. Overall just be aware this is a budget hotel - you get what you pay for and no more.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2007

I stayed with 3 other girls in the 4 person en suite bedroom on the first floor. We stayed a total of 7 nights.. and we loved it there. Of course it was a transition from our huge hotel/motel rooms in america.. but we were prepared for how the lodging is in London. I found the room to be super cute.. thebreakfast was filling and in a super cute dining room. What was the biggest highlight I suppose.. was the man and woman who ran the place. They were the sweetest people ever.. helping us with everything we came to them with.. and we came to them with quite a few things.. asking if we could change our reservation from one night to the next.. asking for an alarm clock.. asking him to keep a lookout for my luggage that would be arriving from the airport the next day as it didnt make my connecting flight. So many things we asked.. and they were friendly and accomodating.. very lovely people. I loved the location.. there were two cute places to eat a block away.. the travelers tavern and the Belgravia. The bus station and train station were right down the road.. we got a week long tube pass.. and never had to pay for a taxi or anything...
If you visit london.. I would definately recommend staying here :)

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank kristinluvsbucs
Reviewed 23 August 2006

This place is really basic and not kept up. It wasn't clean. The beds were old and uncomfortable. The breakfast was horrible even within the context of a British hotel breakfast. We tried it once and skipped it the other days. There are plenty of coffee shops around. The location is good (near Victoria Station) and the neighborhood is great. The Ebury Street Wine Bar across the street is really good for dinner.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family