“Quaint and Cozy!”
Review of Lime Tree Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Lime Tree Hotel
Ranked #6 of 556 London B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“Quaint and Cozy!”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Lime Tree Hotel was such a charming place to make our home base while in London! The staff were excellent, breakfast was good, rooms were clean and comfy. Some people may find them a little on the small side, but we were impressed with the size considering the age of the building! The only real complaint we had was that the feee wifi seems very spotty. We were on the top floor and only seemed to have a good connection in our room in the middle of the night (we only know this because we were coming off jet lag). The up side is that on the main floor it was fine so we usually just took our devices to breakfast and planned out our day/routes from there. All in all, we were very please with the value in such a charming building, proximity to the tube and popular attractions, a lovely neighbourhood, wonderful staff and a DELICIOUS breakfast. Thanks so much to everyone at the Lime Tree for their wonderful service!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank evalew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Finnish first
new york
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Overall a good stay in a great location with a great staff. But be forewarned: the "twin" rooms are very small. Actually too small to be comfortable. We were relegated to the very top floor which felt like we were in the attic. In fact, you almost hit your head in the hallway on the ladder which is affixed to the hallway ceiling that leads to the attic. Our room had very low ceilings which added to the claustrophic effect. Trying to negotiate where to place our only two carryons in the room was a bit of a farce. And the bathroom is just ridiculous with the doors consisting of something like pantry doors (i.e. no privacy from your roommate!). And we are not large people. I have no idea how anyone oversized would negotiate this room.

I wish we had paid for a superior room and one was not available on check in. The staff offered me no other option once I expressed my unhappiness. Somehow, I hoped reserving six months ahead of time would have given us a room not on the "attic" floor which would appear to be the worst.

That said, the beds and pillows were quite comfortable. There is a kettle with tea, although the Twinings tea bags were never replenished (and we couldn't bear to tear down the multiple flights of stairs to ask for more). And the towels could remove a layer of skin. And the wi-fi was undetectable in our room.

The staff, however, is delightful. Breakfast is delicious with a full English served by a cheery attendant in a tranquil breakfast room. The location is also convenient to Victoria Station. There is also a free computer on the ground floor and the staff will let you print your boarding passes.

(There is also a great fish and chips place called Friar's Inn around the corner on Elizabeth Street. Yes, it doesn't look like much and it serves other cuisine which is suspect but give it a go...you'll be delightfully surprised)!

At the end of the day, you realize London hotel prices are ridiculous and this may be the best one can do for what you pay for.

Room Tip: Upgrade and pay for a superior room. Do not take a room on the top floor.
3 Thank haydenny
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Lime Tree Hotel. We arrived before check in time and our room was ready so we were able to access it. The staff was welcoming and generally helpful. The location is literally around the corner from Victoria Coach station. We took the bus to and from Heathrow Airport at a cost of 12 pounds. We were also close to Victoria Tube and train station. We purchased the week pass for 30 pounds and we found it to be a great value.We always felt very safe in the area. (We often saw Bentleys and other fine cars parked in the area) Our room was #18 and it overlooked a little garden in the back of the hotel. It was very quiet. The room was very clean and very basic. The bed was comfortable. The linens were a little rough...I have to admit that I like fine bedding. The bathroom appeared to be new and it was immaculate. Our only complaint was the breakfast. We are Americans and we didn't find it appealing. There was a lovely little deli up the street, La Bottega, where we got delicious pastries and cappacino, lattes, and sandwiches. Overall, we felt this was a good value for London.

4 Thank sisi123
austria, vienna
Reviewed 29 March 2012

First of all...don't believe the negative reviews here. The Lime Tree Hotel really beats all other locations in this price range. Everything the announce on their website is true and you will meet the friendliest staff ever.

I went there with my sister and mum and we booked one single and one double room. Upon arrival we were very friendly welcomed and given a free upgrade to a triple and double room which made the welcome even warmer.

It is true, the stairs are quite steep but this is all written on the website and residing in such a beautifully restored house makes you forget the stairs. My mum stayed on the third floor which was really high up but she liked her room so much that she did not mind the stairs. When we left she was helped with her luggage.

My sister and me stayed in room 17, a triple room with a single and double bed. It was heaven! We had two huge windows that face the street with a small balcony and the room was super-clean. The curtains block out the light if you want to sleep longer and there was hardly any noise. The decoration is beautiful and the bathroom even had a bathtub. We slept perfectly in the cosy beds and were woke up by the delicious smell of freshly baked bread.

For the breakfast you can choose between continental and british breakfast - both is fantastic. The staff is cute and helpful, always happy and eager to help.

There are two great cafes on the corner of the hotel: TomTom Cafe with the best chicken salad and coffe and Peggy Porschen with her incredible cupcakes. The Ebury Wine Bar next doors serve delicious Dinner. The location is perfect - right in the neighbourhood of Victoria station and Kings Road is also just around the corner.

We really enjoyed staying in such a beautiful area and the hotel lived up to all our expectations. After trying lots of locations, we finally found our favorite hotel. Thank you, Lime Tree Hotel for this amazing stay!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank corrinska
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I don't know how many times I've stayed at the Lime Tree - one thing is for sure - I'll stay there next time I go to London. Most of all I like the staff - they are always so friendly and helpful. The room are always nice and clean - and good space. The breakfast is marvellous. Ii's close to the underground and to Victoria station - it's simply the best hotel to stay at when i London.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Gerd_from_Lund
Watertown, New York
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I can't say enough good to say about this Hotel / B&B. The staff were all very friendly, the owner Matt would drop everything he was doing to help you on directions or plans for a day trip. The neighborhood was perfect and quiet with plenty of fantastic restaurants within a stone's throw. The Thomas Cubitt Public House was fantastic and we visited it several times. The queen room we had was very quiet and had a view of the back yard garden area. A great breakfast that was cooked to order

3 Thank 48812StephenG12
Sarasota, FL
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I chose this hotel for its proximity to Victoria Station and the hotel's website. The website made this hotel look really wonderful and the pricing of the rooms matched the 'look' from the website. I was on my own for two weeks in England and this hotel looked perfect, so I didn't mind spending a few extra dollars for the hotel room.

I was wrong -- the hotel is average, the rooms small (with update bathrooms, however), the cute breakfast room was nice but the food, included in the price of the room, was average at best. The lack of elevators didn't bother me when I booked my stay as I thought the stairways would be easily navigated and help would be available for large baggage if needed. The stairs are steep and narrow, with two turns on each flight. The room I was assigned was on the 3rd floor and the only assistance for baggage was a tiny young girl working the front desk and no one else. (I think she weighed the same as my baggage!) At 62 years old, hauling that suitcase up three flights of stairs while negotiating the narrow corners, was a real challenge.

I will say that the location of this hotel is great. It's within walking distance of Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station and there are plenty of restaurants and pubs nearby. But I will try to find another hotel with similar proximity to transportation on my next visit to London --those stairs almost killed me.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo