“Best Japanese meal I've had...again”
Review of ROKA Canary Wharf

ROKA Canary Wharf
Ranked #599 of 25,457 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$42 - US$141
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Roka Canary Wharf serves contemporary japanese robatayaki cuisine in relaxed and elegant surroundings overlooking Canada Square, with the backdrop of Canary Wharf's dramatic skyline.
Reviewed February 10, 2017

Having visited here several years ago, I had fond memories and was looking forward to returning. Roka lived up to all my expectations and was just as good as I'd remembered. The food was sublime, service incredibly attentive and helpful, and the atmosphere was buzzing, albeit with a mostly business crowd midweek. Particular highlights were the sashimi platter, soft shell crab tempura, and baby ribs. Absolutely superb.

1  Thank BA_83838
Write a ReviewReviews (1,100)

Reviewed February 7, 2017

I was here Saturday night and had a lovely evening with my wife. The restaurant felt very squeezed in and decor was bland and disappointing.We had California maki which was ok, edamame dispointing, soft shell crab maki good, pork belly very good, rock shrimp tempura lovely, mushrooms ok, spicy beef disappointing due to the price. I would go back to Nobu, Sushi Samba and Aqua in a heart beat but sadly not here as there are better restaurants out there.

Reviewed February 5, 2017 via mobile

Badly and poorly received at the front door. Poorly serviced with an armature spirit, and very normal food. The sad joke is in case you raise any complaint about the stuff, management applies the concept of "Guest/client/visitor is always wrong, stuff are always right".

Even when called the manager after dinner over the phone, I was treated as if I am not existing!!

London is full of restaurants with far better treatment and value for money! Beware!

3  Thank loaye2017
Reviewed January 30, 2017

I have visited Roka many times for lunch/dinner/brunch however was left very disappointed on Saturday. The service was the worst I have experienced in a long time of a restaurant of Roka's caliber. Our table was at 2pm and we didn't receive our first glass of "unlimited" wine until approx 2.50pm. We ask numerous times for our drinks and were left waiting for about 50 mins. Of course we were not granted an extra 50 mins worth of drinks to make up for it at the end. Food was delivered slow and some parts of our meal, for example rice and sides were stone cold by the time our mains came. The (what appeared to be) manager was very rude and obnoxious, explaining "this is how it works at Roka; food comes out as and when it's ready". Little did he know I have visited Roka and a number of similar restaurants very often. Despite the fact I understand food comes out as and when it's ready, some of our mains had clearly been forgotten when they still hadn't arrived 30 minutes after everyone else's. It was a real let down for my friend's birthday and most definitely won't be rushing back - especially not to this particular restaurant at CW with the rude and distasteful staff

5  Thank creamdaisy21
Reviewed January 28, 2017

We visited this branch for our special occasion. We could only book a table from 5:30pm for 2 hours, which means this place is popular and busy. Fair enough! Then we got there 5:27pm and the front staff told us the restaurant was not ready. We were told to go outside and find a bar as they didn't have one and come back in 10 mins or so. Firstly if you were professional, never kick your customers who arrive in time in the cold. At least you should have the courtesy to prepare a table and ask them to wait there. Also I did not find them particularly pleasant and nice. Luckily the food was great and the waiter who served us was brilliant and attentive, which made our night special. I am not sure if we want to visit this branch as Mayfair branch staff were far more professional and pleasant.

4  Thank Zupp302