“Well appointed, modern, clean - friendly staff”

Park Plaza Victoria London
Ranked #241 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bayswater, Australia
“Well appointed, modern, clean - friendly staff”
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We booked this after reading recommendations on Trip Advisor. The room was a decent size. All very clean. Everything you'd expect in a four star hotel, but nothing out of the ordinary. The staff were friendly and we appreciated being able to use the left luggage facility.

It's very well located being only a few minutes walk from Victoria train and bus station. We didn't eat in the hotel but instead had a wander around and had a lovely breakfast in a little cafe nearby.

Perfect spot for a city break - it's comfortable (has a nice bar with decently priced cocktails), great location and well priced for the level of quality.

We did find it quite warm and weren't able to cool the room at all. However, I was impressed when I completed their post stay survey online and received a personal reply from the manager addressing that issue.

(Incidentally, we stayed four nights in London and paid as much for one night in this hotel as we did for three nights in the Travelodge at Waterloo. The difference in price reflected the difference in experience :-))

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
ramesh04, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria London, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at the hotel.

Your comments are much appriciated.

Looking forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Kind regards,

Ramesh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
seaford
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed here for one night, with a show booked at the Victoria palace theatre. It is only 5 mins walk away.
The hotel is clean, and the rooms spacious, The bed is huge, and very comfortable.
Only problems were, very little soap, and only two milk pots for coffee !!.
For a four star hotel at £150.00 per night, they could do better.
Having said that a good night’s sleep, very quiet.
Breakfast at £18.50 per head is a bit steep, but found loads of little bistros a few minutes’ walk away.
A nice touch, we were able to leave our overnight bags at the hotel, while we toured London, then picked them up, when we need to get the train from Victoria. No extra charge !!
All in all, would stay again, polite staff.

Alan

Seaford East Sussex.

Room Tip: get a room on the 4th or 5th floor
1 Thank seadowns
Dear Alan,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of milk pots in your room. Our normal standard is 4 pot per room.

Look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Kind regards,

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 30 January 2012

In terms of location, it is excellent, next to rail / tube links, theatres and restaurants.

I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, and the quality of the rooms and the hotel to be very decent quality and the general ambiance of the hotel to be very upbeat and energetic.

The room I had was decent enough, very clean and spacious, asside from the sound of a tank filling behind it (I was very tired and didn't really notice after about 2 minutes of knowing it was there) the bathroom was very nice, it had very large bathroom (which is always nice) with a bath with a shower, and also a separate shower at the other end which is different... nice TV with plenty of channels, UK and multi language.

But the problem I have with hotels of this class, particularly in the UK, is the terrible WIFI facilities. It just about reached my room and the free WIFI you receive is dial up speed, so if you want to use skype for example or upload some images of your trip to London, you have to pay an additional rate for this. It drives me mad when hotels in this class charge as much as they do and then put additional charges on top for wireless, you never see the same penny pinching schemes in the USA.

There is also a small parking lot beneath the hotel, which is accessible by an elevator! very expensive to park but there isn't a great deal of alternatives.

That aside I was there for a conference and the facilities were excellent and all in all it was a very pleasurable stay.

This was a business trip so not my money, so would I pay from my own pocket to stay there again? probably not, purely because of the WIFI, I know there are hotels of similar class and price in the area which provide that little bit extra. I really liked the hotel but I probably stay in more than the average person so expect that little bit more.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank WolfyManUK
ramesh04, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria London, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that the service our staff provided was appreciated by yourself, I will be sharing these comments with our team.

As for the comments regarding our WIFI signal in the bedrooms, please rest assured this has been reported to our internet providers.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best wishes

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We are just back from a night in Park Plaza victoria. The location is fantastic, right in the theater district, and so easy to get to from Victoria station. It is maybe 400m away from the underground.

Reception were friendly and efficient on check in. It is a very busy hotel, so there was a small wait.

Our room was on the ninth floor, friends stayed on the ninth floor also. The rooms are clean, note: bathroom door is frosted glass. There is free wifi, and a large TV. View was over the rooftops of London.

Air conditioning only pumps out hot air, no matter what way we set it. Same problem in other rooms. It was over 25 degrees C in those rooms in January, absolutely impossible to sleep. Window could be opened a crack, but with the curtains closed, not a breathe of air came in.

We mentioned this to reception, and no notice was taken.

Breakfast is 17 pounds each in the hotel restaurant, we didn't opt for it, as there are between 5 and 10 cafes in the immediate area, who all do a great breakfast, and victoria station itself is stuffed with bakeries for take-away croissents or sausage rolls.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank pwurple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I would like to apologise regarding the heating in the bedroom. Due to the mild winter temperatures in January our systems took longer than expected to adjust. Rest assured this has now been rectified.

If you could please contact my Rooms Division Manager Alex Caetano(acaetano@pphe.com) directly regarding your recent stay that would be highly appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best wishes

Reviewed 23 January 2012

We chose this hotel based on its convenient location, reasonable price and the promising reviews. It proved to be the perfect choice. We were in London to celebrate our 10th anniversary and were well and truly looked after by the hotel staff. The location behind Victoria is not particularly stunning in its visual impact but the inside is fantastic. If you are looking for quaint Ye Olde London Towne then this is not the place for you. If you are into contemporary comfort without musty moth eaten curtains it is the ticket. The room was outstanding and exceeded our expectation. I stay in a lot of hotels on work trips and this room is the best I have stayed in for a good while. Our room was courtyard facing which meant we had a lovely night's sleep even with the window open. The room was a bit too warm so it was nice to be able to open the window. The bed was really comfortable and unlike the majority of hotels the pillows are notably good. Room facilities and a jazzy coffee machine are top notch. The bathroom was spacious and well appointed. All in all it was a faultless experience.
Location is very convenient and it's an easy walk to Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace or beyond. If you've walked your legs off during the day then the short stretch from the Tube at Victoria is a welcome relief.
We did not eat in the hotel because we went to London to experience the city and enjoy the overall atmosphere with the different options on offer.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sazupupandaway
ramesh04, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria London, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at the hotel. Your comments are much appreciated. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards
Scotland
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I arranged a surprise 3-day trip to London as a 21st birthday treat for my daughter. Initially planned to stay at the Hilton London Bridge, which gets great reviews, but in the end opted for location and The Park Plaza and hoped that we would not be disappointed as I wanted our stay to be special.
As we were flying down, the Plaza was conveniently placed for the Gatwick express and for getting round the city easily. It was great to spend less time travelling and more time enjoying the city.
Our flight would get us to London long before check in time so I emailed the hotel in advance to ask if we could leave our bags and have somewhere to freshen up. I also asked for a decent room, as it was my daughter’s birthday. ( I booked through Expedia rather than direct with the hotel and you don’t get the best rooms when booking this way)
We arrived at Victoria station, walked round the corner to the hotel and from the minute we arrived the staff did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable. The reception area, which leads onto the bar and restaurant, was bright and contemporary with stunning flower arrangements and quirky modern sculptures and art.
We were checked in quickly, courteously and efficiently and to her surprise, my daughter was congratulated on her birthday. We were given an upgraded room and directed to the gym area so we could use the changing facilities to freshen up after our journey.
Returning to the hotel later in the day we collected our bags and went to our room to discover it was immaculately clean, well presented and very comfortable. From the glass sink in the bathroom to the leather-look wall, our room was chic and well designed and the complimentary bottle of water and chocolates was a nice touch.
We were delighted to find a window that actually opens, plenty of toiletries in the bathroom along with robes and slippers and, as well as a kettle and a selection of teas, for coffee lovers there was also a coffee machine with a wide choice of coffees. Fast internet access was chargeable but we found that the free access was more than sufficient for us to use an iPad to plan our trips. Our bed had a memory foam mattress topper and we were so comfortable it was an effort to get up even thought we had the whole of London on the doorstep. Amazingly, for its location we found our room 125, to be very quiet as it overlooked a quiet residential street and we slept with the window open.
We did not have breakfast in the hotel so cannot comment on that but there is a Prêt a Manger just across the road, a M&S Simply Food and many food outlets in the station and surrounding area if you are not on B&B. We had decided to have the pre theatre meal at the hotel on our first night but found that restaurant service didn’t start until 6pm. As we had to get to The Strand for our show by 7pm we opted to have a bar meal instead. (Currently Billy Elliot and Wicked are at theatres less than 3 minutes walk from the hotel in which case this would be an the ideal venue for a pre theatre supper.) Our bar meal was well-priced, good quality and again the service was first class.
The concierge, Danny, requires a special mention. He was always welcoming, interested in our day without being intrusive and had lots of suggestions and tips to make the most of our stay. As we didn’t have time to make the most of the expensive tour bus round the city (£26 each) he suggested we get on the No 11 bus from just round the corner which would take us past most of the main sights, and cost us nothing as we had day travel cards. Top Tip!
We had a wonderful stay at the Plaza. Its location was perfect for the airport, easy travel throughout the city and a pleasant walk to attractions such as Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace.
Our room was clean, comfortable, modern and the hotel as good as many more expensive London hotels. Only minus points the small restrooms/toilets in the public area and our air-conditioning didn’t seem to drop the room temperature at all. I would not hesitate to recommend the Park Plaza, Victoria. It is excellent value and the staff were superb.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the hotel that overlooks the quiet residential street
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Loanhead
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.
Rest assured I will share your positive comments with the rest of the team.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Wishes

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel and I cannot fault it, from the moment I checked in until checking out. The hotel is light, clean and airey. Large clean rooms with all the little extras you require and a really comfy bed. My husband and I ate in the restaurant which again was faultless, the staff were friendly, very polite and helpful without being overbearing. I have stayed in a number of London Hotels and this is the first one that has managed for me to get everything spot on, I came away feeling like a valued customer without feeling overwhelmed not too much or too little, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

2 Thank Lynn D