“Amazing”

Ranked #951 of 25,457 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Westminster
Description: Typical fish and chip restaurant and takeaway in the heart of Westminster.
Reviewed August 13, 2018

Used this chip pie at least twice a week when I worked in Victoria, always had good haddock and chips freshly cooked. When I retired I had an occasion to visit London (7 years later) and thought I would make an effort to get across to Strutton Ground for lunch. When I entered the restaurant the waitress saw me and said ‘hello not seen you for a while, would you like your usual?’ She served me with haddock and chips and cup tea, we both laughed when I told her how long it had been. Planing a trip this summer so will be there for my usual.

Reviewed August 11, 2018

We were on a search for the real deal re: fish & chips. Hubby was quite satisfied with his ample portion of cod and the thick cut chips. I had the veggie burger, which was good but not the best I have ever eaten. It was very hot inside the restaurant, so I would suggest choosing a table away from the hot food bar.

Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

Went there on hotel recommendation. As stated, the halibut was good, the cod was much better, and the chips were great as well. Bigger piece of fish is the cod, and it was cheaper.

Reviewed July 25, 2018 via mobile

This was my first fish and chips and I picked this restaurant based on nice reviews (walked 30 minutes off the planned path to get there). The staff were friendly and attentive to the neighboring table, not so much to me. I felt ignored when trying to get their attention to pass me salt shaker which was missing at my table.

The cod was fresh fried (5-10 minute wait). It was an ok meal to stuff your stomach with calories but taste was lacking. Chips were not crunchy. Nothing really bad about the food or staff but the overall experience I would rate mediocre.

They also have plenty of laminated paper messages for guests placed around the establishment signed “The Management“ which I found slightly pretentious.

Reviewed July 22, 2018 via mobile

Although there weren’t many people at the time of our visit, it took a while until we made our order and got food. The rest was very good. Big portions, cheap food (for London, of course) and tasty cod with fries.