“Quick, tasty and cheap”

Ranked #835 of 25,043 Restaurants in London
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2017

We were looking for something quick, tasty and cheap while we were in Paddington on a recent trip to London, and TA recommended Ya Hala. It didn't disappoint.

It doesn't look much from the outside, but it was packed, which is always a good sign in my opinion. We got the last 2 seats at a tiny table that was so close to our neighbours it might as well have been one table, but this wasn't designed to be an intimate meal so it didn't matter.

We both went for the lunchtime deal of a sandwich, drink and either fries or salad for under £6, excellent value anywhere, but especially in London. We chose one chicken shawarma with garlic sauce, pickles and salad and one spicy potato, which came with coriander, fried vegetables and salad. Both were enveloped in a fluffy Lebanese wrap. The fries and salad were generous portions.

Service was quick and efficient, if slightly hurried; sitting around once you've finished isn't encouraged. However the food more than made up for this and I would definitely visit again if I have the chance.

Reviewed July 26, 2017 via mobile

5 stars. Our waiter was called Jad Alex, who was incredibly kind and friendly, and he recommended what we should eat. We agreed to this and had some amazing appetisers and a few mains which we all shared. We then had a gorgeous complimentary dessert. Unfortunately it was the only dessert available, so don't come if you are looking for lots of dessert choices. However, the one on the menu is delicious like everything else we had. The interior was modern but homely and the waiter was great like the service. I would highly recommend this place.

Reviewed July 23, 2017

Ya Hala is a Lebanese restaurant close to Paddington Station. Walk up the ramp out of the station, cross over Praed Street and the restaurant is on your left, a couple of doors down from that intersection. Judging by the number of Lebanese families eating there, I would say that it is authentic and good.

The food was delicious and the service was attentive and friendly. Some of the cubed grilled lamb was a bit tough. However, the lamb chops were melt-in-the-mouth delicious, as was the ground/minced grilled lamb. That's what I would have next time.

The baklava was also one of the best that I have tasted. Hope to be back

Reviewed July 23, 2017

Had a work event at the nearby Hilton Metropole, and so decided to come here with some colleagues afterwards for dinner. Along the way also met 3 more colleagues who were going to the same place so we all shared a table. Funnily enough, while we had our dinner, about 20 more people from the same meeting also came here! The place was packed so they left, but 8 of them came back (in groups of 2) in the next 10 minutes or so and both groups managed to find tables :) SEE... this is THE place to be in London, obviously... only 1 place to be for Middle Eastern food in the whole Edgware Road area!

So we had a variety of hot and cold mezzes... the best falafel in London, so yummy inside and crunchy outside... baba ghanoush... fattoush... sojouk... all were very excellent... (pardon any spelling mistakes, I'm writing this on the go without checking for spellings on google!) I had wanted to have the lamb for mains but with the amount of mezze we were ordering I thought I'd wait to see how my stomach feels... in the end I didn't have anymore mains as I was full already! But 2 guys ordered various kebabs for mains and they say they were very good.

Reviewed July 20, 2017 via mobile

A busy evening when I went to spend my £15. I was seated next to three other guests who we enjoying a good old natter. As a lone diner this was a little intrusive. Service was ok and with a smile and not slow. I had the mixed meze which was ok but rather bland. It came with plenty of flat bread to bulk it up. I've had better at other similar restaurants. The worst thing though is the smell of refuse that fills your nose just outside the restaurant. Not their fault but not good as a diner. The bill was less than £15 and I would consider going again but the smell......