“Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #78 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed over the Jubilee weekend and had a super time. The hotel is in a good location, next door to St James' Park tube station and only minutes away, on foot, from Buckingham Palace, St James' Park, Westminster Abbey and Big Ben yet it's away from all the crowds. There are several coffee shops nearby and other shopping not far away towards Victoria.

The hotel had a major refurbishment about a year ago and is in excellent condition, with tasteful furnishings, bathrooms and amenities. The lobby with its 'listed' sweeping staircase is a delight and makes for a wonderful wedding photo opportunity. The staff are all friendly and helpful, in particular the concierge.

Finally, the cooked breakfast was one of the best I've had in a hotel. Tasty, good quality food cooked to order.

A faultless stay!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K_The_Tourist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,088)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 July 2012

During my April trip to London, I had the pleasure of staying at the St. Ermin's. This hotel is a beautiful, well maintained and convenient destination for London lodging. Although everything about the stay was wonderful, the highlight of the week was Head Concierge Lee Wood. When persons in the hotel industry learn about guest services and customer satisfaction, they should learn it from Mr. Wood. On several occasions he went above and beyond to ensure I and my business partner were well looked after. Thank you Lee!!!1

I give the hotel 4 stars due to one reason. Despite the excellent quality of the morning breakfast, there was always a feeling of confusion in the air by the wait and hosting staff. One morning we were seated, went to the buffet only to return and find our seats were given to other guests. This air of confusion seemed consistent each morning. Certainly not a reason to pass on the hotel but just an observation of constructive criticism.

I look forward to staying at the St. Ermin's on my next trip to London.

Cheers!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I am a travel agent for over 40 years and have lived in 9 different countries, including 4 years in London. As you can imagine I have stayed in many, many hotels around the world and have sent thousands of clients to various hotels.

I know London very well and have had the pleasure of staying in numerous hotels and being part of many hotel inspections, so there are not many that I have not had some experience with. On this visit to London I finally stayed at the St Ermin's Hotel. It was a wonderful experience and I am certain that I will stay only at the St Ermin's on any future trips to London.
The location is great - just 2 minutes to the nearest Tube station - 10 minutes walk to Buckingham Castle - 3 minutes walk to Westminster Cathedral and then another minute to Big Ben, the Parlimant Houses and the Thames. You can walk to Hyde Park and about 15 minutes to Harrods. All the sights are close. The hotel is set back in a court yard affording a beautiful entry, but most important no street noise. The hotel has old world class and charm, without being "stuffy"and it is not a highrise, only 6 floors. The rooms are well decorated, a good size and the beds are very comfortable, great coffee and tea selection right in your room. The washrooms are large and have all the extra emenities that you expect in a luxury hotel.

It is a hotel that would be perfect for anyone - singles - couples - romantic weekends - families and business trips.

The staff is exceptionally helpful and friendly - they cannot do enough for you. They understand the meaning of "good service"! The concierge I asked advise from, named Lee, went out of his way to get the information I needed. I spoke to many staff members and it was obvious that they enjoyed working here and were even very proud to be part of this special hotel. The continental breakfast was one of the best I have ever had the occasion to sample - so much variety and so fresh and they even offered smoked salmon, one of my favourite things to eat.

The St Ermin's is a "Beautiful Gem" - I only wish I had found this hotel sooner. I highly recommend it and will send all my clients here from now on.

Barbra Huston
Legacy Travel
Kitchener, Ont
Canada

Room Tip: I did not have time to try the pool or spa and cannot seem to delete these 2 from the list. Ask f...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BHuston
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed here for one night. Really good city centre hotel. Rooms well appointed and clean. Staff very helpful and friendly. A pleasure to stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Iain M
New York
Reviewed 9 July 2012

It was my first time visiting London and I'm very happy we booked this hotel. I was visiting to check out my university and they made a stressful trip comfortable. I liked the location because it was quiet but close enough to a few underground stations including Victoria Station so we were not disconnected from everything. The lobby was very pretty and i loved the way our rooms were set up. Most importantly it was clean and lets say I'm a very tough customer when it comes to hotels because of cleanliness. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They would joke around with me and also help us with booking tours. They were amazing with helping us book stuff and made sure we got a great price. Here's a tip though, from my experience book a single bed room rather than a double unless you really need to because its more comfortable and has a couch. My family stayed for a week and we had to switch rooms because my dad joined us. The double was actually the only fault I can find in this hotel because it was really small but then again it is London and small rooms are common there. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I couldn't find one thing to improve this hotel. It was perfection. We felt like royalty and the staff treated us as such. Our first impression of the facade was wow and the lobby and public areas were just as beautiful. We were loaned umbrellas if needed, we were assisted with our own internet difficulties, the concierge was very helpful (though we found some of our own choices were better than his suggestions). Our room was "standard" though it was anything but standard. Comfortable bed, lovely sheets and pillows, and very clean. The location was great for Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Churchill's War Museum and other sites. We also loved the surrounding neighborhood where we found delicious fish & chips at a pub The Feathers. Breakfast was pricey but my husband said it was the best eggs benedict he's ever had. We had a wonderful dinner in the dining room and would've loved to have joined them for high tea - maybe next time.

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking the front driveway and close to elevators. We were happy with the location...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple