“Excellent location and value!”
Review of Jesmond Dene Hotel

Jesmond Dene Hotel
Ranked #309 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 March 2012

The location of this B&B is perfect! Literally within two minutes walk from King’s Cross St. Pancras station (look for the Burger King – this road is Argyle St). King’s Cross St. Pancras is great for the tube and Eurostar. Try to get room numbers 4, 5 or 5a as these are on the first floor (one flight of stairs from reception). Four is probably better as 5 and 5a are next to each other and behind a separate fire door (so you can hear when the doors are being open and shut – not a big deal though). (There are also rooms on the ground floor I believe and more on upstairs on the second and third floors). The rooms are warm, have a hand basin in them and heavy curtains to keep in the warmth. Traffic noise is not a problem. Space is limited but manageable if you have backpacks rather than large suitcases (helps with the stairs too – these are a bit steep and a little narrow but are really fine). There is a toilet and shower/toilet on the lower floor – there was never anyone there when we needed to use it (there are other toilets/showers around the other areas too). Towels are provided as is shower gel. The full English breakfast is simple but tasty and filling and comes with a smile. The free wifi worked well. At 70 pounds per night, the value seems right - small room and shared bathroom/toilet but very friendly service, comfortable and warm room, beds and shower and again in a fabulous location.

Room Tip: Try to get room numbers 4, 5 or 5a as these are on the first floor (one flight of stairs from recept...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank heretoexplore
Write a ReviewReviews (1,788)

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Have stayed here a couple of times as my son is at UCL and in halls just around the corner. Hotel is basic and small, but the rooms are clean and functional. The staff are very friendly and remember you have stayed there before. Breakfast is made fresh in the kitchen as you wait and is perfectly reasonable. Great value for money all round

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I arrived about 11pm and was welcomed warmly by the front-desk staff. I had booked a single room with no en-suite bathroom. The room was predictably small but very clean. The bathroom was two steps across the landing but was a little aeroplane-like in its size and composition - shower, toilet and small sink. I didn't try the TV in the room but the wireless internet was free and worked very well. Some bits of decor in the bathroom and bedroom were in need of patching up but not to the detriment of cleanliness.

Unfortunately, the walls were paper-thin and I had to listen to a noisy couple yakking away until about 1am, hearing every word. Although there was good quality glazing on the windows, there was still a lot of police/ambulance siren noise audible throughout the evening in the room. Not the hotel's fault, of course.

The bed was very small (I'm 5'11") and the mattress not really the most comfortable. I was also quite hot and that was with the heating off - probably because I was on the top floor of the building.

In the morning, the breakfast was first-class. Exceptionally friendly and polite waiting staff brought me fresh orange juice, tea, copious amounts of decent toast - and, best of all for ANY hotel - COLD milk! Thank goodness! The sausage, bacon, egg and beans was great.

I wouldn't necessarily rush back here because I think I could probably get a bigger room for what I paid for this, but at the last-minute, it was OK value.

Room Tip: I would hope that the double rooms are a little bit more roomy than the single one I had.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank fraseyboyd
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Easily the best staff I´ve had in all my journeys around Europe. And it´s easy to know how they can be it, the owner of the hotel is the recepcionist, does the check-in and check-out, gives the tips and directions of all London and always says yes to your requests. London gets really better if you have a service with this quality every day of your stay.

All the rooms are clean (I´ve got two), their appartment is fantastic, nice breakfast and super regardful staff. If you want a nice hotel near to Kings Cross trainstation, this is THE hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get the appartment, its really good, with a nice kitchen and located in a very calm neighborh...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Had a really pleasant stay the room was lovely though the step into the bathroom was a worry in the middle of the night !! Found the managervery polite and helpful only downside was the waitress arguing with us over our breakfast order ! Highly recommend

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Di W
Reviewed 9 February 2012

The room was so clean you couldn't get in without sunglasses. It was Japanese clean. Staff are super-nice and I got the feeling that I was being hosted by people, not processed like a sausage. After I checked out I came back to the hotel to change in the afternoon and they helped me to no end. If you need to lay your head in London, there's no better place. Location, location, location...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Adi-Richard H
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I was really suprised when we entered the rooms.It was really clean and as we were cold the temperature of the heater was perfect !
I didn't expect that kind of hotel as it was a school trip (we are used to go to very cheap hotel with nothing particualr --' )
This one provided everything we wanted : comfortable bed, friendly staff, a generous and yummy breakfast and an ideal position.
I totally recommend it (I have alreaddy done it) and I plan to sleep there and nowhere else next time ^^

Room Tip: I advice you to take the triple (even if you're alone ... kidding) => the TV was big enough a...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends