“Noisy clanking heating” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #65 of 817 Speciality Lodging in London
Norwich, UK.
“Noisy clanking heating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

Had two nights here with my wife and another couple in January 2012. Chose it because it's in a good location with reasonable prices. First night, there was a bunch of incredibly noisy young people at 4.00 in the morning. Not the hotel's fault but kept us awake. In hindsight, we should have phoned the reception. The following morning, the reception staff were professional and understanding. Second night, we were kept awake by the clanking of (what we think) was the heating. There was a hollow clunk every 18.5 seconds from some plumbing in the corner of the room. Felt like water torture.
We knew we were using shared showers and toilets. The former weren't too bad but the loos needed looking after. In particular the sanitary towel bin was filled to overflowing. See image. My wife told the receptionist who told her that it was full because it wouldn't be emptied until such and such day!
Breakfast in their canteen was good. Great selection and plenty of it. The cooked breakfast buffet was excellent.
The noises would put us off from staying there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Norwich_UK_John
LSEVacations, Manager at LSE Carr-Saunders Hall, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Thanks for your feedback – as you say we’ll deal with any noise complaints, just call down to reception. We’re not sure about the heating noise, it’s not something we’ve come across before but we’ll ask our engineers to investigate. There was an issue with the Sanitary Bins over Christmas that we’re working on at the moment and hope to have a better system in place by Spring opening.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

Central, cheap, no frills and great for the person on a budget. You get a clean room with a bed and a shared clean bathroom. If you are staying with your partner and the weather isn't that good you might get a bit of cabin fever but that just ensures you get out and about. The breakfast is as good as you would get at any of the cafes around the place so make sure you utelise it. Really easy to get too from the tube and Heathrow and easy to get to the train to travel to Paris. Really can't complain, my biggest gripe was the coke machine didn't take 1 Pound coins. Also there is a common area with internet that you have to pay for (no wifi).

Good for the budget but you have to make sure you get out and explore!

Room Tip: Ask for a twin on the second floor. Kitchen is on the 6th.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank strorbz
Thanks for the feedback, we’re glad that you enjoyed your stay. We’ll get the vending machine sorted – it definitely should take £1 coins! We’re refurbishing our kitchens at the moment so some are out of action but there is normally one on every floor – the work should be completed by the Summer.
NA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

Stayed in the accommodation over the summer. The staff were extremely rude and inconsiderate. This included the Hall manager, and several members of the daytime reception. What annoyed me was that they treated you like students, not a hint of professionalism. As an example, I had just left my luggage in the corridor after arriving, when a female member of staff (the one with brown hair) decided to come up to me, and rudely suggested that I should remove it because it was blocking the doorway! I mean, seriously, is this even a hotel? I'm a tourist, where am I supposed to leave my luggage? I haven't even got a room yet!

Secondly, the Hall manager acted like she owned the place. I was woken in in the morning by staff who decided they wanted to replace the batteries on the door lock. I told them to leave because firstly, I was extremely sleepy, and secondly, my partner was wearing her night gown, which was inappropriate for the male staff. The Hall manager then came storming in suggesting that I should let the doorman do his job. I got really angry at her extremely rude and unprofessional attitude. She did not even apologise for doing this, acting like she owned the place. She even threatened to evict me, claiming that she could do this because I was threatening her, which absolutely DID NOT happen at all. This made me all the more angry, because she was using her power as a Hall manager to threaten me (and lie), and which somebody in her position SHOULD NOT do at all.

Although I initially did not want to give a bad review, because this place was cheap compared to other hotels, I felt I was thoroughly annoyed by the bad attitude and service exhibited by some of the staff.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank John C
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed at Carr-Saunders Hall for 2 days (14-16 Septemver 2011).
The staff was very friendly and polite.
The room wasn't big, but you didn't feel discomfort because of that. It was clean as well as
the bathroom.
But it was a bit noisy out during the night (windows faced a road).
Location is excellent.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank absoluteness_a
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

The excellent location encouraged me to try this and Carr-Saunders Hall offers a very pleasant couple of nights at affordable prices. The Rooms are simple, cosy and clean. Just the thing if you're on a budget and looking to stay central. Toilet and shower facilities are shared, and they to are well maintained. Preferred choice to Travel Lodge or Premier Inn – recommended.

Room Tip: Bring plugs. Guests tend to slam doors.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Steven H
Concord, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

If you're looking to find a way to save money on lodging while visiting London and don't want to deal with a hostel, then LSE's Carr-Saunders Hall is the place to stay. The rooms are dorm rooms so don't expect much, but if you're in London on a vacation then you're probably only going to be in the room while sleeping. I recommend taking the breakfast option. You get a decent variety of food to choose from and the pain au rasins are delicious. The building is within walking distance of several tube stations and is near the restaurant heavy Tottenham Court Road and Euston Road. It is also within walking distance of the British Museum and Oxford Street. I can say without a doubt that staying at LSE contributed greatly to my trip to London--cheap and in a great location.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank J W
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

Carr Saunders hall is in an excellent position for getting around central London. The rooms were clean and basic. The toilet and shower facilities were not en suite and the place is a bit of a rabbit warren so it took a while to orientate. Though our two rooms were booked together we were not on the same floor which was a disappointment. Breakfast was good quality and generous but the staff seemed hard pressed to keep up with demand. Overall we would be happy to revisit Carr Saunders Hall. Very good value for money.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends