“Excellent hotel in the city center”

Mermaid Suite Hotel
Ranked #812 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 October 2010

1) the position is super! it's very centrally located (10 minutes walk from Oxford Circus tube station) and therefore very convenient for sightseeing and shopping in particular because it is located practically on the main shopping street in London 2) the width of the room (very big!!), we had a triple that was pratically a small apartment including a kitchen, washing machine, cooker, water boiler to make tea/coffee 3) the excellent cleaning of the room and the bathroom. Breakfast is continental, but it is not serf-service (2 slices of bread are served with butter and jam, a small cheese, honey, cereals) and then, not very abundant, but overall good and sufficient.
There is no lift, and we found the room warm when we arrived, but the following day the heaters were not turned on. No wireless

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 August 2010

We stayed at the Mermaid for economic reasons having stayed in this area before we thought this would be in line with other hotels in the area. We couldnt have been more wrong. 86 steps to our room on the top floor, supposedly a double but although it had a double bed it was definitely a single person room. There was one cup, only two towels in the bathroom, our room also acted as the fire escape ie "break glass" in the door and the fire escape exit next to the bed so if the hotel was on fire everyone would come running through our room. Coffee and tea were left but there were no spoons just wooden sticks for £306 for a three night stay I would expect a little bit more. The tiny reception was full of suitcases and very scruffy with a surly receptionist. The net curtain was filthy, the toilet/shower room was good and nice and clean, our "wardrobe was 18" wide and about as deep with 4 hangers! there was no where to put our clothes. the bed was actually squahed between a bedside table and the wardrobe - my husband had his face squashed against the cupboard all night. I made sure we paid cash as they even charge 4% for using a DEBIT card - very poor. We would never stay there again. the restuarant which served breakfast was okay but extremely dark and dingy.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anniedJersey
Reviewed 24 July 2010

My priority was to be in town and have a safe, clean place to go back to for the night since I was on my own.
The location is indeed perfect, just round the corner from Oxford Street.
But the standard of the my room was very very poor. I am usually not so picky - it's fine if there's no shower mat or no shampoo, it was just one night I was going to spend there anyway. However, the furniture was incredibly old and dusty, the feeling was of a place which is hardly ever cleaned. It felt like the whole room had gone stale, it just did not smell fresh. More than a hotel it reminds me of those cheap bed&breakfast for young students. Unfortunately I am past that stage and if I spend £ 98 per night I do not expect luxury but at least hygene. This place should have one, maximum two stars, certainly not three!
Needless to say: no internet connection, no room service, nothing you would expect for that price in a modern hotel. Again, fine with me for one night, but if you are on a business trip and need these facilities just stay clear.
If you pay with card 5% will be charged. Also quite infrquent in modern world.
You may end up in a different building than the reception, you may want to know if you are pregnant/elderly/frail as you will have a flight of stairs in front of you any time you need the reception, and another one if you are staying in a room opposite to reception. I was on top floor, that is three flights of stair every time.
I did not try the breakfast, but the restaurant looked fine from the outside.
One last thing: if you are travelling on your own, you may not like that you cannot lock the door but just use a metal chain which even a child could break.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2010

I stayed at this hotel with 2 friends in a quad room for one night, the room was very spacious and nice and light, very comfortable, hotel wasextreamley good value a simple but adequet breakfast was included in the price.The only negative was the hotel staff that we encountered was the receptionist when we checked in and out, she wasn't the friendliest of staff I have ever met and the towels smelt a bit musty but were not unclean overall the generally cleanliness was very good and the location is brilliant very easy to get to,and is within 5 mins walk of the nearest tube station and the hotel was on a quite road right of bond street. Overall I would definatley visit again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We arrived early Saturday morning and once you get used to the inner city one way system, the hotel is easily located off New Bond Street. Multistorey car park only a 10 min walk away.
Very friendly service when checking in, änd this was our only contact with staff, as the hotel has no restaurant.. But hey, what's the point, this is London, where you are spoilt for choice when it comes to restaurants.The room was fine, but very basic which was fine for our purpose. Breakfast was available in the Italian restaurant on the ground floor.
The location is ideal, it is on the corner of Oxford St and Regent St, within walking distance to a lot of shops and attractions. If you do not feel like walking, the buses and Underground are nearby.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Hotel was cute, we had a large upper floor room with a lovely view over the roof tops. Room was clean. There were no hotel services, but we didn't mind. I would recommend this hotel to younger couples who want to find a neat, clean and cute hotel in good location as I know in London you can't really find a good prices hotel that is also not a rat hole.
If I couldn't get a room in five star hotels I would choose this one as the bests cheaper alternative!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MissMartti
Reviewed 19 February 2010

hotel was cute and small, only 8 rooms. We had penthouse, windows(3) to the street..view was beautiful; old buildings, rooftops and italian restaurant's lights.
Room was old style, clean and special. bathroom was large and neat too.
only sad thing was that fitted carped stinks cigarette smoke..but that doesn't bother me so much cos I loved everything else so much there.

at downstairs was italian restaurant where was also hotel's breakfast. BB was ok, toast-cereals-yoghurt-coffee.

our street was nice and quiet but for me that area (west end) was too much high fashion shopping. for example we didn't find any normal foodstore from there..finally we found big and expensive food/alcohol store from big department store.

soho was near and subways too!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends