“Not the best for the price”

Dylan Apartments Paddington
Ranked #988 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Birmingham
“Not the best for the price”
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Upon arriving I checked in at the office, as others have said I wasn't thrilled about the copy of my passport. In addition to this I was asked for £250 in cash to pay for my room. When I asked to pay by card as I was travelling for business, the gentleman on reception pulled a face. I asked if they had a machine and he said yes but that there would be a 5% charge for the priviledge, he showed me some small print but this was not on my online booking. Tired, I agreed to pay, he then asked for a £250 pre authorisation which was fine but I didn't understand why they then needed written details of my credit card.

My room was on the floor level with the road which was by and large fine noise wise apart from when someone used the front door I could hear every footstep, breath, conversation etc.

The room was clean but worn, you can definitely get better for £125 per night. It put me in mind of a student bedsit, none of the furniture or soft furnishings matches. The shower room was tiny but adequate, towels are very small though!
There was a wardrobe, plenty ofplugs, iron, kitchen, tv, DVD and phone. All fine and in working order.

Bed was fairly comfy but no duvet just a sheet and a blanket.

The best thing going for this 'hotel' is it's location. A five minute walk to Paddington at most, loads of nice restaurants and bars.

Overall I wouldn't recommend it though, it's not an apartment, the staff are quite cold and rooms are worn.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank Globalloco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2011

The building is well located in Paddington. We arrived from Australia at 8am, tired and wanting to leave our bags until we could check in. We had booked through Central London Apartments and our information said 'reception' would be open from 8am to 10pm 7 days. At 10:30 am there was still no sign of anyone to open reception and the house keeping staff were trying to deal with 12 cross people lined up in the very narrow hallway. Apparently the reception hours are somewhat flexible. (Unlike the Eastern European receptionist - if there is an expression that means the opposite of "nothing was too much trouble" it applies to her.) The rooms are very small but there was a sink, microwave and fridge. A tea towel and a smidge of washing up detergent would be universally provided in Australia but apparently not at Dylan. There was no soap holder in the shower and no toilet roll holder and it was the smallest bathroom I have ever been in in 25 years of travelling.
The price included internet access which we were counting on - on the 5th floor we had no signal at all; they moved us to the third floor and if you sat on the left side of the bed it worked occasionally. If you sat on the stairs it worked just fine - so we spent quite a bit of time sitting on the stairs.
Good points are location, carpet on the stairs to sit on when using the internet, it was clean and the Spanish housekeeping staff are lovely (and in my opinion should be running the place - they were by far the most useful and accommodating staff and what's more, they were actually there, something that reception couldn't always claim.) Bad points are the 5% credit card surcharge, unreliable reception, unreliable internet and general attitude (again, what's the opposite of 'hospitality industry').
We wouldn't stay here again and couldn't recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MosLyn

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2011

We booked a room ensuite with open kitchen and it was not bad at all. We had read some bad reviews of this hotel, but our room was quite nice and confortable. It had Sky TV and a DVD player, and all the kitchenware.
The location is excellent, ten minutes away from Paddington Station, and it has a very good prize. The worse was the man of the staff..

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rasperry
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Don t stay here. Sewage stink in basement. I got very sick which ruined our time in Singapore probably from ecoil from bad drains. After all London is a very old city and the drains are equally old. Extremely small apartment. False advertising. Australians expect basic cleanliness which on the surface seemed ok but DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank Ivbnhad
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Terrible sewage smell in basement -denied by the management - but we noted an air freshener had been provided in the room. Unsatisfactoty TV reception in the basement. A shame as we were looking forward to UK TV. Twin room OK in size - adequate kitchen - no plugs or washing up liquid.( basics surely!!)
Location excellent. Just don't accept a room in the basement.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Warren163
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Dylan House; also known as Dylan Apartments or Dylan Paddington - as Trip Advisor could confirm I have never written a negative review before, but this place is the pits.
My partner and I pre-booked and paid through Wotif. com. for what was supposed to be a self contained "apartment". When we arrived we were impressed with the location, the streetscape and the outside of the building. Even the entrance hall made us think we had made a good choice. At their office room they confirmed our booking but said they needed my credit card details and to photocopy my passport (which I was not comfortable about). However we were given no choice about this; If we did not comply, then we could not stay even though we had already paid through Wotif. We would forfeit our money.
We were then given a key to a room in the basement. We had to negotiate a very narrow staircase with all our baggage. My partner had broken her arm in a fall in Spain the day before but there was no offer of help to carry our baggage. I had to make 3 trips up and down the steep narrow stairs. Once we reached our room we had a problem. There was not enough space for us to have our baggage in the room and for us to be in the room at the same time. The only solution was to put our 2 cases and 2 daypacks on the bed and then move them onto the floor as we were ready for bed. Our "apartment" had no chair. There was simply no room. The tiny door to the equally tiny bathroom did not open or close properly. Whenever we or any of our neighbours flushed a toilet or ran a tap/ shower, a methane type smell went though our room. The only natural light was through a very small window to a light-well. There was no tea or coffee in the room which was lucky because there was only 1 cup.

In the basement there appeared to be 5 "apartments". If there was a fire on the upper floors I doubt very much that we would have been able to escape.

To finish off our experience with Dylan Apartments; when we arrived home to Australia I had a request to contact my bank urgently. Within a couple of hours of me providing my credit card details to Dylan House and allowing staff to photocopy my passport, on-line purchases in UK and USA were made using my card details. I had not used that particular card in the preceding 6 days as all our other prepaid accommodation did not request we provide this information on booking in.
Do not be conned by website photos or description of what you are getting. Do not be conned into giving your credit card or passport details.
We stayed in lots of nice places around UK and Europe. Places like Dylan Apartments/ Dylan Paddington/ Dylan House should be avoided if at all possible

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Naughto
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2010

I stayed in the Dylan hotel late last month. The young guy there seemed very nice so we took it/ Well we were put into the Dungeon! The room reeked with mold. It was terribly strong. We tried to get our money back but the guy said the boss would not there and would not allow it. He put a barely working fan in the room and said he would send maintanence to venilate the room; never happened. He told us the problem was due to leaking pipes down there and that many ppl on the floor complain about the smell. The smell was so strong I had to stay out the room until I was bone tired! At night it sounded like a typhoon coming in there was so much water running through the pipes outside. Oh did I mention how small the room was? No space for luggage, you are climbing over everything and have to put suitcases on the bed to get your close out. I was also charged 10 pounds for internet that was suppose to be free (which was pretty crappy) as well as charged 10 pounds to hold luggage. the poor guy next to me said they charged him 180 pounds because his company was paying for it, what a rip off. I was charged 90 pounds plus 10 for internet and 10 for storage of bags which total 110 pounds which is a little over $174 USD. Please, Please don't stay here. Try the place next door, which is cheaper, cleanier and better customer service. You can also try the Royal Court Apartments which are about 60 pounds= about 95 USD. I would not recommend to a dog!

• Stayed September 2010