“nice rooms, pity about the noise” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dylan Apartments Paddington

Dylan Apartments Paddington
Ranked #997 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“nice rooms, pity about the noise”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

when we arrived we were allowed to check in early, great after having a night flight into london. went to pay and was told that there would be a 5per cent surcharge for using a debit card which was not uk register - we are from scotland and have a scottish bank account!!!! so we paid cash. room was small but all we needed for a 1 night stay. spotless rooms, and the maid came by and asked if everything was ok. we asked for a couple of extra towels which was promptly got for us. perfect place to stay for hyde park (our destination for proms in the park) and a 10 min walk from paddington train station. however the beds creaked evrytime you moved and you could hear every little noise in the building, which didnt help when the other guests were making such a noise until 4am!! they were banging doors so hard that the window in my room shook! it even sounded like someone had a washing machine on at midnight!! for £100 a night i would expect some soundproofing between the rooms. very disappointed.

Room Tip: dont stay there
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank scotsgirl9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I stayed last week for business and had to leave and sleep on my friends couch as it was that horrible.

The Staff
The receptionist whilst nice had no idea I had booked a room, then spent 20 mins chasing her manager who said I had booked one. Payment was supposed to have been taken before I arrived and they then added a 5% surcharge which wasn't listed on late rooms.

Payment
They also had our company card details written down on a post it note with the CSV number in plain view of everyone. The card had to be cancelled for security purposes.

Be very careful with your card details, and don't let them photocopy your passport or driving licence.

The Room
How they have the cheek to say it is an apartment.. more like a small bedsit. The bed was small but I had booked a single, it was hard the bed looked like it was cobbled together from bits of other beds and made so much noise when you moved a tiny bit.

The bathroom was so small that I had to have the room door open whilst using the bathroom.

The kitchenette was awful, no kettle, no tea, no coffee, no cups, no spoons, no plates basically nothing.

Internet

£10 per day (it was advertised as free) or you can use the BT Openzone and pay £5 per day.

At £73 for a tiny room for one night this was not good value for money, in fact I would say you should pay even slightly more and stay somewhere better.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Eoin K

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

Upon arriving I checked in at the office, as others have said I wasn't thrilled about the copy of my passport. In addition to this I was asked for £250 in cash to pay for my room. When I asked to pay by card as I was travelling for business, the gentleman on reception pulled a face. I asked if they had a machine and he said yes but that there would be a 5% charge for the priviledge, he showed me some small print but this was not on my online booking. Tired, I agreed to pay, he then asked for a £250 pre authorisation which was fine but I didn't understand why they then needed written details of my credit card.

My room was on the floor level with the road which was by and large fine noise wise apart from when someone used the front door I could hear every footstep, breath, conversation etc.

The room was clean but worn, you can definitely get better for £125 per night. It put me in mind of a student bedsit, none of the furniture or soft furnishings matches. The shower room was tiny but adequate, towels are very small though!
There was a wardrobe, plenty ofplugs, iron, kitchen, tv, DVD and phone. All fine and in working order.

Bed was fairly comfy but no duvet just a sheet and a blanket.

The best thing going for this 'hotel' is it's location. A five minute walk to Paddington at most, loads of nice restaurants and bars.

Overall I wouldn't recommend it though, it's not an apartment, the staff are quite cold and rooms are worn.

• Stayed June 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Globalloco
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

The building is well located in Paddington. We arrived from Australia at 8am, tired and wanting to leave our bags until we could check in. We had booked through Central London Apartments and our information said 'reception' would be open from 8am to 10pm 7 days. At 10:30 am there was still no sign of anyone to open reception and the house keeping staff were trying to deal with 12 cross people lined up in the very narrow hallway. Apparently the reception hours are somewhat flexible. (Unlike the Eastern European receptionist - if there is an expression that means the opposite of "nothing was too much trouble" it applies to her.) The rooms are very small but there was a sink, microwave and fridge. A tea towel and a smidge of washing up detergent would be universally provided in Australia but apparently not at Dylan. There was no soap holder in the shower and no toilet roll holder and it was the smallest bathroom I have ever been in in 25 years of travelling.
The price included internet access which we were counting on - on the 5th floor we had no signal at all; they moved us to the third floor and if you sat on the left side of the bed it worked occasionally. If you sat on the stairs it worked just fine - so we spent quite a bit of time sitting on the stairs.
Good points are location, carpet on the stairs to sit on when using the internet, it was clean and the Spanish housekeeping staff are lovely (and in my opinion should be running the place - they were by far the most useful and accommodating staff and what's more, they were actually there, something that reception couldn't always claim.) Bad points are the 5% credit card surcharge, unreliable reception, unreliable internet and general attitude (again, what's the opposite of 'hospitality industry').
We wouldn't stay here again and couldn't recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MosLyn
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

We booked a room ensuite with open kitchen and it was not bad at all. We had read some bad reviews of this hotel, but our room was quite nice and confortable. It had Sky TV and a DVD player, and all the kitchenware.
The location is excellent, ten minutes away from Paddington Station, and it has a very good prize. The worse was the man of the staff..

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rasperry
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2011

Don t stay here. Sewage stink in basement. I got very sick which ruined our time in Singapore probably from ecoil from bad drains. After all London is a very old city and the drains are equally old. Extremely small apartment. False advertising. Australians expect basic cleanliness which on the surface seemed ok but DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank Ivbnhad
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2010

Terrible sewage smell in basement -denied by the management - but we noted an air freshener had been provided in the room. Unsatisfactoty TV reception in the basement. A shame as we were looking forward to UK TV. Twin room OK in size - adequate kitchen - no plugs or washing up liquid.( basics surely!!)
Location excellent. Just don't accept a room in the basement.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business