“A real shame”

Ranked #429 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Doncaster
“A real shame”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This was not my first stay at this hotel but it was the first time i had stayed more than one night. I stayed for 4 nights with my 7yr old son, check in was fine and the room was as i would expect for a room costing over £80 per night. The cleaner was great and our beds were made and towels changed everyday. That was where the good stuff ended.....we ate in the restaurant the first evening and my Lamb Dansak was a ready meal and the naan bread was a mini packet one, i wasn't impressed. My sons chips were not cooked properly and our meal cost just short of £30. We dared to have breakfast the next morning and although the food was much better than the meal before, it is very overpriced. We ate out from then on!
My other gripe is the charge for extra TV channels?! I thought it was a mistake, surely nowhere charges for digital tv! 5 standard channels when you are paying over £80 a night is very poor and i refused to pay extra for free channels!!! Then to top it off the unbelievable charge of £5 an hour or £16 a day for internet access. Internet cafes dont even charge that, again i was shocked and refused to pay such ridiculously high charges! I drove past a Premier Inn while i was in London and went in to ask prices, not only were the rooms cheaper but they also did have free internet access! This being the case our stay at the Holiday Inn will be our last there. Not sure how a hotel which is so on the outskirts of London can justify such high extra charges! A big shame as i really like the hotel itself.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kkilgour
Guest_Relations_BX, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Brent Cross, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to note you did not have a positive experience with our food & beverage offering and that the food did not meet your expectations. Just to keep you updated we have a passionate Head Chef on board and I can assure you that you will see a huge difference in our offering in our restaurant. I understand that there are some Hotels that offer “free” Internet, but as I am sure you may have experienced, often these systems are narrow in bandwidth or limited in usage. The system at the Holiday Inn London Brent Cross is market leading, providing uncontested bandwidth of 35 mbsec and, in response to our guests requirements, Holiday Inn as a company have invested over £9.6m in the past 18 months in order to deliver an internet solution meeting the needs of our guests for today and tomorrow.

I have investigated of cause the situation and I have personally ensured the necessary corrective coaching has been undertaken. I hope you will give us an opportunity to show we have moved forward in the near future.

e-mail: johnson.joseph@ihg.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
West Wilts, UK
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Stayed here recently as I was working in the area. Some public areas were a little run-down and dusty, but reception was very friendly and efficient. I was upgraded to an Executive room which itself was lovely and very comfortable. But the constant noise of the (kitchen?) fans one floor below me kept awake half the night.
Just one gripe in an otherwise good stay.
Special thanks to Nobert on reception for his cheery welcome and professional manner.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Kel_WestWilts
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments from your last stay. As Operations Manager responsible for the Holiday Inn London Brent Cross I was very pleased to note you had an enjoyable stay however you had issues with noise of the extractor fan which has now been rectified. I have passed on your comments to Norbert who was voted Shinning Star of the week and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Guisborough, England
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Not sure if I should write this review. I stayed here this week for 2 nights and had a very good experience. The reason for my hesitancy is that if I praise it too highly I might not get in next month!
When in London my office is near Warren St Tube Station, I found that I can go from the hotel door to my office in 30 mins using the Northern Line. To me that's pretty handy for London.
I had read that there is a shuttle bus which will pick you up from Brent Cross tube station. This worked like a dream, I phoned the hotel when the train reached Golders Green and the minibus was waiting for me, 5 mins later I was dropped at the hotel door. It worked just as well when going into town. A fantastic complimentary service.
The foyer was modern and looked newly refurbished, the staff very pleasant and helpful, the rooms were standard Holiday Inn design, nothing posh just clean and tidy. Breakfast buffet was well cooked and presented, one of the better ones I've eaten.
I had a problem with my shower and reported it, when I returned to my room later in the day the shower was fixed and they had left me a hand written note of apology and a bowl of fruit !
As ever you can judge how good an organisation is on how they deal with problems, to me this is a well run friendly and effecient hotel who with a little though do make a difference.

Room Tip: I stayed on the busy road side and could hardly hear the traffic, but I'm guessing it would be q...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments from your last stay. As Operations Manager responsible for the Holiday Inn London Brent Cross I was very pleased to note you had an enjoyable stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and I can assure you that you will have a wonderful stay like the one you had this time around.
Leicester
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed here the night before New Year's Eve as we were already booked in to a central London hotel for the following night and wanted to avoid the crowds travelling down on New Year's Eve. This hotel is located on the North Circular, opposite the (in)famous Brent Cross shopping centre - accessible via a footbridge over the road (fans of sixties town planning will love it!). The hotel is about a mile from Brent Cross tube station and runs a very convenient shuttle between the hotel and the station (available on request).

The only down side was that we got to the bar too late to request the Liverpool v Newcastle game on the big screen - someone had beaten us to it and asked them to put darts on. In all fairness the staff offered to run us (with some other guests) in the shuttle bus to a local pub that was showing the game!

Positives:
- The quickest check-in I have ever experienced (they must have got it ready when we called in for the shuttle to pick us up!)
- Helpful staff
- The shuttle service - without this it would make the hotel very difficult to reach by public transport

Negatives:
- Only one big screen in the bar (and it had darts on it!!).
- Not really much in the locality apart from the shopping centre and some major roads!

Overall: a pleasant hotel which situated well for Brent Cross & Golders Green

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments from your last stay. As Operations Manager responsible for the Holiday Inn London Brent Cross I was very pleased to note you had an enjoyable stay. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Decent stay, initial complication cause of issues with the Northern Line being closed last weekend making it difficult to get to the hotel if you were relying on the tube. I backtracked to baker street and caught the bus (drop at Maplewood ) school and walk 10 minutes around the corner. Fine at night but lots of traffic approaching the shopping centres in the morning on this road so be careful. Not sure if the hotel offers a shuttle to the bus terminus at the shopping centre too.

Receptionist on arrival after all the travel problems was friendly and was upgraded as a PC platinum which was very welcome. Room was clean and had a lovely large LCD TV. Good stay, prompt room service. No issues on checkout.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank G L
Guest_Relations_BX, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Brent Cross, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your stay. Im pleased to note you enjoyed it.
UK
Reviewed 21 January 2012

This hotel has easy links to Central London using the underground, but a shuttle bus is necessary to get to and from the station. Luckily, Shaman and James, the wonderful helpful shuttle bus drivers are always there! Good values and nice breakfasts.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments from your last stay. As Operation Manager responsible for the Holiday Inn London Brent Cross I was very pleased to note you had an enjoyable stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
I have passed on your comments both to Shabani and James who are delighted to hear that they are doing a good job in making our guests happy!
Worthing, UK
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I have often considered this hotel when in London on business but always found something that appeals more. After this leisure visit, I won't be staying there again.

We (me, wife + child) took advantage of the Priority Club Points Break promotion (Platinum member) and from the moment we arrived, we felt like second class citizens.

Check-in was very laboured, unwelcoming and rude. No acknowledgement of Priority status. Room was grubby and particularly soulless/ empty. Bed was broken (we didn't bother complaining). No (requested) newspaper delivered on either morning of our stay - not a biggie but still! We would have eaten in the restaurant had our welcome been better, but decided to go elsewhere.

Free shuttle to tube station was handy. Don't do what we did and try to walk from the tube to the hotel - a) too far with luggage b) it was dark and we had to navigate to scary underpasses!!

I thought the location was Ok - approx. 30mins by tube and about £20 taxi ride to Soho (not black cab!) but you definitely feel that you're on the outskirts.

I'm sure the hotel is usually better than our experience but after years of using the IHG chain, I know what to expect from each brand - this was way below a Holiday Inn full service.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family