“Great Hotel, Fantastic Stay!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock

Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock
Ranked #264 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Northamptonshire
“Great Hotel, Fantastic Stay!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

My sister and I booked this hotel as part of my Mum's 70th birthday celebrations which included the trip to London and to see Chicago and we were not disappointed. I had emailed the hotel the week before to ask if there was any chance we could have a room with a view of the lock as it was a special occasion and they were only to happy to help. On arrival my Mum was presented with a cake, wine, a card and the staff singing happy birthday....she was totally overwhelmed. Then we were shown to our room which was an executive suite overlooking the lock (brilliant view) and with a massive balcony which we sat on drinking the wine and eating the cake!! Aside from the exceptional customer service the hotel itself is a lovely place to stay. It's in a great location less than 5mins from the tube. The hotel was spotless and the rooms were clean. Breakfast was also enjoyable which was the standard holiday inn buffet of fruit, cooked breakfast, continental, cereals, toast etc.

Overall I we had a fabulous stay it was just a shame we only had one night. Would definitely stay here again. Special thanks to Giovanni for organising this and to Eddy who looked after us on the day!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Pevensey

Class act

I can honestly say this hotel is one of the best I have ever stayed at. Not because of the fabulous Camden Lock location or the comfort and cleanliness of the rooms, simply because the people who run it seem to care so passionately about what they do. You get the impression they thoroughly enjoy their work and will do everything in their power to make your stay special. I booked the Holiday Inn Camden Lock for my wife's 60th birthday and we were both amazed and thrilled by the creativity of the lovely surprises they laid on for us. Eddy, Giovanni and Bianca clearly have immense enthusiasm and a great sense of fun, yet still manage to perform their roles with finesse and dignity. A class act indeed! Thanks to all three of them and their teams, of course, for a wonderful stay. (Although I am what you might call a seasoned traveller, this is the first time I have ever been inspired to write a review for Trip Advisor. That says it all!)

Room Tip: For a unique view of London, choose a room overlooking the lock.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

My teenage son and I recently stayed here for 4 nights on a trip to London. The staff at this hotel are truly outstanding! Every single staff member we met, from the front desk, to the restaurant to the cleaning crew greeted us and went above and beyond to meet our needs.

We were upgraded to a Lock view room upon check in which was a lovely surprise. The room was very clean, comfortable beds, lots of pillows and towels. Our room even had a bathtub which was nice. Patio doors which you could open (no balcony) but lovely for fresh air and enjoying the Lock view.

They serve a fantastic breakfast! Tons of choices, from traditional English Breakfast to cereals and toast and pastries. Fresh fruits and yogurts. Coffee and tea are served at table and plenty of juices to choose from as well. We never left hungry! There was literally something for everyone. Bright & clean area with lots of windows, which also serves as the hotel restaurant later in the day. I'm not usually too fond of eating at hotels for dinner but one night we were too tired to leave and were pleasantly surprised by how good the meal was. We also ordered an appetizer and drinks in the hotel lounge one evening and again great service.

Location is great for the tube, probably a 3-4 minute walk to Camden Town station. Banks, restaurants and of course Camden Market with everything imaginable. Sainsburys (local grocery market) was an easy 5 minute walk with anything that you might need. It's a lively area, so the main street can be quite busy, but once you turn off onto the street where the hotel is located it's very quiet. Great coffee shop across the way and local burger place just a minute walk.

The only thing I would have liked was free WiFi. You could purchase a block of time for a reasonable fee, but having free access especially when you are travelling and all of a sudden want to look something up would have been nice, but not a huge deal considering all the great things about this hotel.

Just a side note about Camden and this has nothing to do with the hotel. Camden is busy place! Bustling really!! Some restaurants on the Lock stay open late and there can be quite a bit of noise if you have a Lock facing room, but once the patio doors to our room were closed you couldn't hear it. So if you like to sleep with your door/window open for fresh air, probably better to get a side facing room rather than one on the Lock.

A great stay and would 100% stay here again!

Room Tip: Side facing rooms are quieter - Lock rooms can have late evening noise from the Lock area restaurant...
Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I booked the Holiday Inn Camden as we had stayed there before and enjoyed our stay. This time it was just my daughter and I staying to celebrate her birthday and shop. When we arrived at the hotel as I had mentioned it was her birthday, we were escorted to her room by the manager and the room was filled with balloons, banners, a card and cake. We were also given an executive room. My 15yr old daughter was in heaven and it was a nights stay she and I will remember forever. The staff were all so lovely and helpful and the hotel as fantastic as the first time we stayed there. This hotel may be part of a big chain but it really has the personal touch and a really homely fell. I really recommend it.
I teach customer service as part of a business course and I will be using holiday inn as an example of excellent practice.
Thank you so much!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 305 and this was lovely!
1 Thank EconomicsTeacher
Derbyshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Stayed here last year and enjoyed it, so booked the same hotel for business colleagues from Germany and myself. I had a great lock view room which was lovely, clean, and comfortable. I don't know what it is about the beds in Holiday Inn but I haven't found an uncomfortable one yet..........that and the pillows.......fab. Love the area too, lots going on and my German colleagues loved it too. Will be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BertieDerbyshire
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We booked a penthouse (room 507) for my 45th birthday and it was wonderful. Top floor and a massive corner balcony overlooking the lock. I think some of the other penthouse rooms are bigger but this one has the best balcony. You will hear the hubbub from the market and the lock but for us it was not at all intrusive. Spectacular viiews stretching from Primrose Hill all the way round to the London Eye. We were blessed with gorgeous weather and the staff were sooo nice and courteous. Bianca and Giovanni were the duty managers I recall.

Room Tip: Room 507 - Penthouse suite. Top floor and a massive corner balcony overlooking the lock. I think som...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark H
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I just wanted to say how impressed I was with the Holiday Inn in Camden Lock. I booked for my husbands birthday and because of this we were given an upgrade and a bottle of champagne. The room was immaculate overlooking the Lock itself. Even though it was a bit noisy and busy outside, we expected this as Camden is one of London's most visited towns in London. The hotel is situated in the heart of Camden so everything is nearby eg pubs, clubs and restaurants. Breakfast in the morning was delicious, there was so much choice of healthy fruit, cereals, cooked eggs, bacon etc. The hotel staff at Holiday Inn were very polite, very helpful and courteous, especially the Duty Manager Mr Giovanni Valentini who was there it assist with anything we needed. Overall, I would highly recommend staying here and would definitely go back again. We enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn so much that we are staying there when we travel to France this month!

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the Lock.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
As I usually say out and loud, we loooove our special ‘Specials’ !! And it shows, so nice of you to tell everyone … thank you!

Now we live without Giovanni for a while. We needed a rest and he wanted to see the Olympics for himself, so he’s gone to welcome the Athletes at the Village … but WE’re still here.

And we’ll always be here for you, whether travelling to France or just coming for more Specials.

Eddy & your special Camdeners