There were so many things wrong with this establishment I don’t know where to begin! I am VERY surprised by the positive reviews posted and can only guess that it is prompted by the offer of a free fruit basket by the apartments to post a review?
I try to only review places in which I’ve had a nice experience or those which are REALLY bad… this unfortunately falls in the latter. To say we stayed in “Fawlty Towers” (which became the running joke) would be an understatement.
We paid £400 a night during London Marathon weekend for a “6 person” apartment – originally communicated as a 2-bedroom apartment (2 per room) and the final 2 on the sofa bed. Thank goodness we opted for only 4-people per room because we were presented with a very small, pokey, not well-appointed 1 bedroom apartment with 2 pull out sofas in the lounge/kitchen area (ridiculously small for 4 women not wanting to live like a hostel/college dormitory). Multiple discussions with a very rude, argumentative front desk man got us nowhere and we knew finding something else Marathon weekend was going to be impossible. The whole thing was handled very poorly and this guy had no business being on the front desk (unlike some of the other ladies who were actually quite nice and tried to be helpful).
On to the room – another running joke quickly became what else could possibly go wrong?
• TV never worked for all 3 nights
• 2 different door handles came off
• Several dresser drawers just collapsed upon opening them
• And the most painful – the shower faucet handle would come off… one time heavily impacting top of my foot which left nasty bruise :(
• The walls were paper thin and there was a lot of noise in the complex.
• The towels are worn, fraying on the seams, and tiny (quite a giggle when size UK 8 ladies complained about the size of the towel!!)
• Carpets everywhere need replacing
• Walls are stained and marked
My general impression of apartments and complex were cheap and very basic – the professional shots are extremely deceptive as there is NOTHING polished about the décor in the 4 apartments we occupied. The reason I mention this is that prices during London Olympics will likely take a huge spike as well – you do not get what you pay for here. You can stay at some lovely central hotels for even less than £100 per person (sharing) per night normally.
I will try to end on some positives – great location in Bayswater near 2 tubes. Busy shopping street yards away. The room was actually clean (though it didn’t get “serviced” each day.) There were some toiletries in bathroom and hot water with decent pressure from the shower. A few of the staff were really very nice and helpful (really only exception was the man upon arrival).
Sorry for the lengthy post but this place was really THAT bad unless you are expected a 2-3 star university dorm-room like accommodation. If you have better taste and are will to spend a bit more, DO IT.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Plaza apartments give you the independence and catering flexibility of your own home together with the comfort and service of a 4* hotel. Think of us as your home, but with cleaning, catering, porters and reception staff thrown in. Serviced apartments are the new direction for the hotel industry. They provide a ready made home rather than a ready made room. Each apartment has its own fully equipped kitchen. You choose whether to enjoy your own home cooking or try the Grand Plaza Breakfast or visit one of the myriad of restaurants within walking distance of the Hotel (or heat up a takeaway!) Grand Plaza is the largest Hotel/Apartment complex in Bayswater. We won the 2009 award for best serviced apartments in London as a result of votes from the readers of Business Destinations Magazine. We accommodate more people each day (tourist, leisure, romantic and business) than any other Serviced Apartment Hotel in the area.We are located in the centre of the West End overlooking the precise type of garden square which Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts climbed into in the Golden Globe nominated film, Notting Hill! We look forward to providing you with a home in central London. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Priceline, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Plaza Serviced Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Plaza Serviced Apartments Hotel London